The Gallery

Ah! CD player on Yamaha C40 preamp (courtesy HiFiJim)

On the right is MMF5 turntable (TT and CD from collection of JWCullison)

Under console is APC power conditioner and Crown DC300IIA in Crown walnut case.

This powering 1972 KB WO with Crites A/AA networks

Klipschorn Jubilees with K402/K69A will be powered by two Crown XTi 2000 amps

post-10755-13819464711134_thumb.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have any A/B speaker selector in the system

Michael... kind of a poor mans A/B... I don't think you have a Dx38 but if you DID get one, it has a parallel output keyed to the inputs (with no Eq'ing going on). What I did was take my normal outputs to various amps and then speakers. I then took another line from these parallel outputs and had them mated with yet another amp that I had connected to...(in my case, a LaScala downstairs) but you could use it for anything that had a passive.

When I wanted to listen to the Jubilees, I turned everything on...when I wanted to listen to the LaScalas, I turned that amp on and killed the Jubilee amps.

Not really an A/B but it allowed me to have access to the signal prior to the Dx. You can find Dx's on Ebay for about $700. one sold just a week or so ago for that exact amount if I recall.

Regardless... good looking stuff you have there!

bonfire...

No, some stuff is in boxes in the workshop, I put some smaller speakers in storage in my home office, etc.

Look for some gear coming up on the Garage sale. I don't need 6 pairs of speakers in a 14x14 office.

or do I?

You had me scared for a second there.

JK

It looks great.

And the photography is pretty awesome too. ( I tried my hand in college)

AliClaytor stopped by last night. I'll let him give you his impressions of the room and my modest 2ch system.

We listened to a couple tracks on CD through the Ah! player- Steely Dan and Robert Plant- very smooth sounding through those tubes. I still have one BEC network and one original 1972 AA installed. Nothing against Bob's work, but it's a complete toss up if anyone can tell the difference on any given night. (not a scientific A/B test since the Yamaha does not have mono button). Those who have picked correctly will swear that the BEC Khorn has better definition up top and extended HF capability if that's any help.

Clay DID convince me to finallydrop the needle on an LP, first up (in Gary's honor) 'Truckin' from 'What a Long Strange Trip..." double LP from an unknown source. LP was in very good condition and I'd previewed it on my Technics/Stanton rig last week. Following that we heard Deodato's 'Also Sprach Zarathurstra' which is a 9 minute jazz-funk extravaganza with Fender Rhodes, Stanley Clarke bass, Billy Cobham drumming, and a host of horn players.It was a good listening session, wish I'd have continued through the night. Maybe later today...

With that player being black mat on black body on black cabinet top, it's hard to tell if it's turning or not, especially if you install the black spindle clamp over the label. Do you guys swear by these clamps? I think that they might place some wear on the label if not held down snugly while the knob is being tightened.

M

Backround - This is the second time to Colters house, pre and post the room changeup.

I don't know if the floors are new since I have been there last or just less stuff on the ground, but I could feel the bass very well through the floor. I LOVE that fyi. The sound was great, and I (for the second time) picked the wrong k-horn with the upgraded network. The extended jazz lp was sweet, we had to have it up at around 95-100 db on avg with some big peaks. Great horn section didn't break up at the high volumes and the bass solo was viseral. It was basically a funk version of the 2001: ASO intro. There was a little system noise, colter said it had to do with the physical transformer, which I confirmed.

I haven't seen Colter listen to tubes, and he complained about not knowing how good his preamp was...so I think the next time I stop by I will bring my ST-70 and Mcintosh C29 to hook up. It will also be sweet to compare against the jubs. I told him he should set up the 60th KHorns in there with the Jubs and sell a kidney for a set of palladiums...then we would have a real shooting match.

The first spin on the first album...

post-26002-13819464924322_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the visit and purchase from The House of Klipsch. And for the nod to fire up the turn table.

I installed the new gallery floors before moving in 5 years ago. It's Brazilian Cherry and it's 1.8 x as dense as American Red Oak so it really transmits floor shock very well. I also love the way the Klipschorns ENERGIZE the room.

It was good listening session. I need to do more serious listening like that with other Forum buddies. Not having a lot of experience with different electronics, I need a few other sets of ears to confirm what I think I'm hearing.

Any of you guys are welcome any time. An old sound engineer buddy stopped by tonight for a shout in Roadies, he really loved the Klipsch stuff. That's like 4 serious visitors this week, I dig it!

Michael