OT: Anyone here with time shares and deal with RCI?

Coytee

I've been given a timeshare by my father. He's mentioned that I can bank the week and trade it for something elsewhere.

I'm trying to find out how this works with them....costs...fees.... how much advance time they need... The girl was initially trying to sell me a 5 year package for $350 which kind of rubbed me the wrong way since I don't even know if I WANT to do this. Of course, she said she can't help me unless I DO pay (upfront) for it. I turned that around a bit, asking her to clarify if I was correct when I said "so I've got to pay you upfront before you give me any answers and it's POSSIBLE that the answer is, you can't help me at all??"

She grew quiet given the wording there, but she said I was right.

So, I'm curious if anyone has done this and your thoughts?

Mine is near Harbor Town on Hilton Head, week 50. I'm looking to find a place in Istanbul. I don't know if these things are even swaps or if I'm trading up or down.

I have a timeshare that I used to exchange in RCI. It's been about 8 years since I was a member with them cause I've been mainly using the timeshare or allowing other family to use it. I used RCI twice in the past to exchange my timeshare to go elsewhere. But I had a pretty decent experience with them. Aside from the yearly fee, I think there was another fee once you reserve at another timeshare. If you plan on exchanging your timeshare, you need to put your timeshare in their pool fairly early - I want to say a year but don't hold me to that - before it's actually available - in your case week 50. But the reservation process was pretty easy, and when I was looking at places to go a while back - they do have a wide variety. The have a color ranking for comparing timeshares - Red is the highest and can be exchanged for any other color. I think it goes yellow then blue after that. You can only exchange for the same or lower color. If you want to exchange up, you probably have to pay more money for that - but I'm not 100% sure on that either. I did a quick look at www.rci.com and it seems like you can get to the resort info there without being a member.

Hope that helps.

Carlo

• Moderators

Not that this has anything to do with the question, but an interesting side note--RCI previously occupied the building we are in today. Their headquarters are now up the road a bit from us.

Carry on. [:)]

The have a color ranking for comparing timeshares - Red is the highest and can be exchanged for any other color. I think it goes yellow then blue after that. You can only exchange for the same or lower color. If you want to exchange up, you probably have to pay more money for that - but I'm not 100% sure on that either

THAT is the kind of guidance I was looking for. Now I have a clue as to what to search out on their website!!

Many thanks

This might all be for nothing.

Just for info sake... the ID number of my timeshare is 0147 and the id number of one of the two places I found in Istanbul is 4950.

My place is "code white" if I interprete these things correctly, and Club Pera Palas is a "code red"...

be all as it may, I emailed them yesterday asking about rates and they responded back saying they're doing a major restoration, not to reopen their doors until late 2009. I do not think my wife would want to stay at the other place I saw... looks a bit to plain.

Nose going back to the drawing board now