Has anyone seen these Beuties on EBay

##1##
imgCrnrO4.gif ##2## imgCrnrO3.gif
s.gif
s.gifGo backs.gifBack to list of items s.gif
Listed in category: Consumer Electronics > Vintage Electronics > Speakers
Also listed in: Consumer Electronics > Home Audio > Turntable Parts & Accessories > Cartridges, Stylus
s.gif
ltCurve.gif

1962 Electro-Voice Patrician 700 (matched pair), EV

vintage speakers, Klipsch, Altec, home theater
Item number: 250235229774 rtCurve.gif
s.gif
s.gif
You are signed in You are watching this item in My eBay (9 items)
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
statusCheck_28x28.gif This item has been added to My eBay for Guests.
As a guest, you can:
bltGrey.gif Track up to 10 items on this computer in My eBay
bltGrey.gifReceive an email reminder for this item a few hours before it ends
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif s.gif s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
1962 Electro-Voice Patrician 700 (matched pair), EV
s.gif
Previous Picture Stop Play Next Picture
1 of 12
View larger picture
s.gif
s.gif
Current bid: US $43.50
s.gif
Your maximum bid:
US $
Place Bid >
(Enter US $44.50 or more)

End time: Apr-19-08 15:03:55 PDT (9 days 22 hours)
Shipping costs:
Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details
Ships to: United States
Item location: Troy, MI., United States
History: 3 bids
High bidder: j***4http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidderProfile&mode=1&item=&aid=j***4&eu=mCT7qaGiEgfOKD9OQiZ6HieUB0WLBMxy&view=NONE&ssPageName=PageBidderProfileViewBids_None_ViewLink' class="findresulttitle">s.gif( 640Feedback score is 500 to 999) s.gif

You are watching this item in My eBay (9 items)
You can also: Get mobile or IM alerts | Email to a friend
Listing and payment details: HideShow
Starting time: Apr-09-08 15:03:55 PDT
Starting bid: US $1.00
Duration: 10-day listing
This is a Featured Plus! listing
Payment methods:
PayPal,
Money order/Cashiers check
See details
s.gif
s.gif
Meet the seller
Seller:s.gif s.gifdennisnagles.gif( 31Feedback score is 10 to 49) s.gif
Member: since Jun-19-02 in United States
bullet.gif See detailed feedback
bullet.gif Ask seller a question s.gif
bullet.gif Add to Favorite Sellers
bullet.gif View seller's other items

Contact the seller instantly
s.gif
s.gif

Buy safely
1. Check the seller's reputation
Score: 31 | 100% Positive
See detailed feedback
2. Check how you're protected
s.gif
logoPayPal_58x16.gif

Up to $200 in buyer protection. See eligibility

s.gif
s.gif
Description
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Item Specifics - Item Condition
Condition:

Used

s.gif
Type :

Speaker

Brand :

Electro-Voice

Grading :

Used - AAAAAAA+++++

Product Type :

Audio

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif

1962 Electro-Voice Patrician 700 (matched pair)

This opportunity does not come along very often. This is a matched pair of 1962 Electro-Voice Patrician 700s in PERFECT condition. The woodwork is unbelievable, all the drivers are stock and sound wonderful, the grills are untouched, and the sound is beyond belief. These speakers were installed in a mansion in St. Clair Shores Michigan from the time they were bought. The butler applied Liquid Gold once a year and the woodwork shows it.

The tweeter is the chrome plated T-350 and reproduced beautiful, clear highs up to 22 KHz.

The midrange horn is the most modern 8HD driven by the VERY RARE T-250 and makes you think the singer is right in front of you.

The midbass is the venerable SP-12 and will thump your chest.

And the grand daddy of the all is the W-30 subwoofer. It is 30 inches across and reproduces the most accurate music and sound effects down to 15 Hz…..15 Hz, you can’t find that today in any system with as much clarity and detail as these. In one of the pictures below, you can see a standard size pill bottle next to the drive just to give you an idea of how big they are.

The only thing I’ve done to these speakers is to clean the L-pads. As you can see in the pictures, the crossovers are magnificent. Big air core inductors, oil caps, heavy construction, and very accessible. The crossovers are designed to bi-amp, Tri-amp, or Quad-amp each speaker. I run the tweets, mid, and midbass with a 300B tube amp and the W-30 woofer with a SS amp.

The sound this whole system reproduces is absolutely seamless and comes at you like a brick wall or a feather in the wind…..depending on the music played. If you have not heard these speakers before, they will strike you with awe and rapture. I know that sounds funny, but everyone that has auditioned them is emotionally moved. The sound staging is wide, deep, and truly realistic. The clarity is incredible….you can hear pages being turned by the orchestra. You are more than welcome to audition them before bidding.

These speakers are a matched pair, not one taken out of the gym and one from a church or any other mix and match set. They were ordered by one of the automotive executive vice presidents and only played classical music soft and low.

These are BIG speakers. Solid mahogany trim and mahogany plywood. 54.5’ tall, 33” wide, and 28.5” deep……350lbs EACH. I will ship these if the buyer arranges and pays for crating and shipping.

eBay now requires I use PayPal. I think this is a crock but I can't list without using it. eBay must now own PayPal and want the fees. I'd prefer cash or money order but we can work that out later. Happy Bidding.

s.gif s.gif s.gifSelect a picture

c185_1.JPG
s.gif
s.gif
c185_0.JPG c1ed_0.JPG
c254_0.JPG c2bd_0.JPG
c304_0.JPG c355_0.JPG
c3b2_0.JPG c41f_0.JPG
c46c_0.JPG c4c7_0.JPG
c531_0.JPG c58e_0.JPG

s.gif
s.gif
Shipping and handling
Services available
Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details.

Ships to
United States
Return policy
Return policy not specified.
Read item description for any reference to return policy.
Payment details
Payment method Preferred/Accepted Buyer protection on eBay
Accepted
logoPayPal_58x16.gif

Up to $200 in buyer protection. See eligibility

Money order/Cashiers check
Accepted
Not Available
clk?RtmClk&t=1&lid=-9999&m=48136:48126:4
s.gif
Take action on this item
Item title: 1962 Electro-Voice Patrician 700 (matched pair), EV
Place a bid
Current bid: US $43.50
Your maximum bid:
US $
s.gif s.gif (Enter US $44.50 or more)
Place Bid > You will confirm in the next step.

eBay automatically bids on your behalf up to your maximum bid. Learn about bidding.
Other options
s.gifGo backs.gifBack to list of items | Report this item | Printer Version | Sell one like this

Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.
s.gif

eBay Pulse | eBay Reviews | eBay Stores | eBay Express | Reseller Marketplace | Austria | France | Germany | Italy | Spain | United Kingdom | Popular Searches
Half.com | Tickets | Kijiji | PayPal | ProStores | Apartments for Rent | Shopping.com | Skype

s.gif
About eBay | Announcements | Security Center | eBay Toolbar | Policies | Government Relations | Site Map | Help
Copyright © 1995-2008 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
s.gif

duder1982,

The plans for these could be gotten straight from Electro Voice back in the 1950s' and 60s' as they sold the driver sets to the public for the do it yourselfer that could not afford these things. These plans can still be bought almost every week on EBay under Electro Voice, but make no mistakes here, these speakers were far more expensive and elitist than Corner Horns even when they were new. To give you, and others an idea of what you are looking at, Paul Wilbur Klipsch used to buy Electro Voice EV 15W-Ks from Electro Voice for the Corner Horns back in the 50s'. (The "K" in the discription for the EV 15W-K and the EV 18W-K denotes "Klipsch" and means they have a 4 Ohm voice coil for horn loaded placement,) Electro Voice made 3 different models of the EV 15-WK, this is not the EV 15W!!. The 1960s 15W-K has ceramic magnets and the magnet structure looks like the one on the Electro Voice 30" EV 30W Woofer in these patricians. These ceramic magnet EV 15W-Ks only bring a little over $100 a driver on Ebay. The two earlier Alnico Magnet EV 15W-Ks are considdered by many to be the best woofer ever put in a Corner Horn. The oldest style bring about $300 plus a driver in very nice condition, but almost never come up for sale. The middle production EV 15W-Ks are what I put in my Corner Horns and LaScala Center Channel and bring about $250 a driver.

Electro Voice built 3 different Patrician models. They built the Patrician 700 shown in the above auction and they built an even larger Patrician 800 that was alot wider for flat wall placement instead of corner loading. The 800s' also had the 30" EV 30W woofer and weighed 350 lbs. each. Back in the day most of these systems were mono single speaker settups, so a matched set of the 700s or 800s in this condition could expect to fetch $20,000 to $25,000 for the pair, and would probably go to the Asian market. Can you immagine the shipping??

Duder1982,

If you are seriously considdering building your own, the cross overs are fairly inexpensive, but you can expect $500 or more each for those L Pads in fair shape, if you can find them one at a time. The EV 25 mid range horns are cheap and can be had in very nice shape for under $200 each, the EV SP-12 full range mid woofers can be had in excellent shape for $100 to $150 a piece or mint for under $250 each. Now the EV T350 chrome tweeters that go up to 22,000 Hz are rare in the chrome and will fetch $1,000 for a pair up to $1250 a pair for mint. The EV 30W woofers can be bought in real nice used condition for $3,000 for a pair, so you are talking arround $6,000 for the guts before you buy your wood and Veneer to try to build your own set as well. You could probably buy all the parts for a pair within a year on ebay if you are willing to be the high bidder when it comes up, except for the L-Pads. I have only seen one come up by itself for sale in the last year and 1/2. I saw a single Patrician that was beeing scrapped for parts, that some idiot that didn't know what he had, parked out in his back yard in the mud for 1.5 years under a plastic tarp and that is where the L-Pad and other parts that were for sale were comming from.

The third Patrician is the Patrician 400 which used a 4 ohm EV-18W-K 18" woofer.

The model below the Patrician 400 is a corner loaded Georgian that also used the EV 18W-K woofer. These EV 18W-Ks bring $1000 each and almost never come up for sale. Paul Wilbur Klipsch helped design the Georgian and other Electro Voice corner loaded speakers. The EV 18W-K was sold and could be had with plans to open up the throat of your Corner Horns for instalatin of the 18" woofer.

The Georgians are considdered a step up from Corner Horns and a nice unmatched pair can fetch $5,000 a pair, so this gives an idea of where the big Patricians fit into the scale of things. I know of a guy that has one of about only 7 sets of Klipsch MCM-1900s that were produced for home use and have a lovely fininished Birch Plywood construction like LaScalas. He also owns Corner Horns, and the only speakers he owns that he likes better than his Klipsch MCMs is his Patricians. These are "DREAM GEAR", and that is why I posted them for everyone to enjoy.

So duder1982, Do you still want to try to build a set????

Roger

The mid driver in those Patricians is the T250, not the common T25A although they use the same 8HD horn only in a beige color instead of the black. The T250 is extremely rare and almost never come up for sale and if they do, the bidding would start at $1000. They have a magnet the same size as the old 12W woofers, the SP12 (not the B version) or the original SRO/12 musical instrument speakers, referred to as the coffee can magnets. The Georgian has a 15WK, the same as was used in the older Khorns. It's the Patrician IV and Patrician 600 that used the 18WK. I've got two Georgians with 15WK's, a Patrician IV with an 18WK and a single T250 that I have no use for other than it's part of my collection.

EVGuy,

Thanks for the corrections. I felt that someone who was cosiddering building a set, that did not know of the plans existance, probably would not realize the financial undertaking involved here. I bought one EV 15W-K and tried it back and forth with my center channel LaScala, and it went lower and louder even after the stock LaScala woofer was audibly kliping, so I started aquiring the other EV 15W-Ks and swapping them all out and putting the EVs in my speakers, although there are a couple of very highly regaurded members here that tell me the K 33-E is a better driver, my eyes and ears tell me otherwise. I think the EV 15W-Ks are a bargain. I would eventually like to find a very cosmetically rough corner horn as well, and try to install an EV 18W-K to see how I like that, but I am presently fidling with my mid drivers to see what I like best, and plan on buying a T-350 tweet and seeing how I like that. I even went so far as to buy an EV 15 SRO to cut up (as they are cheap) to take the magnet structure apart to see about replacing the Alnico with Neodynium magnets to make them even more efficient to see how I would like that, but after talking with a couple of manufactuerers, found that nobody that can make a custom Neodynium, can make larger than 6.5 inches in diameter at this time. The search for the holy grail continues!! I was planning on contacting the seller of those patrician 700s and driving up to hear them as I am in Ohio. What a beutiful find!! I just felt I had to share it on the forum with those that could truely appreciate what these babies are........

Roger

EVGuy,

Sounds like you could have used those 700s for your front left and right channels and your Georgians for rear surrounds. How do you like the EV 18W-K VS: the EV 15W-Ks??

RogerWink

Hi Roger,

They both have very solid bass but the 18wk can really be felt more. With volume at normal listening level, the bass becomes part of the music by really making you feel like it's live bot not overpowering. Remember that it's in a larger corner enclosure than a Khorn, about 16% larger. I don't know if you'd get the sound you think if you placed an 18wk in a Khorn enclosure because of the smaller size. Here's a pic of my Patrician IV with a Khorn like outer cabinet I built, next to a Khorn.

Khorn comparison

I thought that was an 8HD mid horn, but you guys know better than I. Thanks for joining us EVguy! I built a set of TL bins for EVM15L's one time and still have them and a single TL 18 bin in the garage.

A local band I used to follow 'Light', used to use an entire EV setup of 18, 15, 12 and 1829 horn on top- it was awesome - the entire stack was painted white.

I have original blueprint plans for building the Patrician 800 Traditional version but they're pretty large to copy. I'd be happy to attempt it if interested in them.

I like to get a copy, Bernie, to add to my collection. I'll send you a pm.

I can scan for posterity and sharing, if there are no IP concerns on this design... Shoot me a PM.

I have original blueprint plans for building the Patrician 800 Traditional version but they're pretty large to copy. I'd be happy to attempt it if interested in them.

I thought that was an 8HD mid horn, but you guys know better than I. Thanks for joining us EVguy! I built a set of TL bins for EVM15L's one time and still have them and a single TL 18 bin in the garage.

You are correct, it is an 8HD horn but the driver connected to it is a T250 mid driver. The same horn used with the T25A and the T10A which all crossover at 800 cps using the 8HD horn. The Patrician IV uses a 6HD horn for crossover at 600 cps. Any of those drivers can be used with the 6HD but should be crossed at 600 cps for the best sound.