CD Player

PYRO

Rob.

I have the Oppo too. Mainly for movies. Fine unit.

For CD's, I use to listen to the AH! Tube CD player. Is is better then the Oppo for CD's. It doesn't do DVD-A or SACD.

I have a MAC DAC. Using the OPPO as a transport through my DAC, it has a slight edge over the AH!.

Sad enough, I listen to all music from my computer in lossless format through my DAC.

When I get around to it, I'm selling the AH! and will oly use the OPPO for movies. I rip everything else.

At any Rate, the Oppo is one heck of a bargain. The AH! is a great straight forward CD player. Never heard the McIntosh CD players. The MC201 has had issues mechanically but not acoustically you know. I had the McIntosh MVP851 Universal player and sold it. The AH! walked all over that thing. I have given up on MAC source units and just sticking to their preamps and amps for now.

jc

jc what is the AH cd player?

Guys I was just quoting the price of a Mac at $3.3K, but the player is now $4.5K. Don't want a 3K cd player. Eating Mac and Cheese would get real boring...LOL!

The AH is a very fine tubed CD player, that is a player that has tubes in the output stage. I use a modded Jolida JD100, which is also a tubed CD player. I would highly recommend either.

Carl.

No offense to anyone here. I was very happy with my AH player for a few years. It had evey tweek and upgrade and a pair of very rare 1962 Amperex PQ white labels.

The Musical Fidelity A308CR CD player was a big jump up in performance for only about $300 more than the AH (both used). More separation and detail. I sat there one day and though that my system had taken a big jump up, it was that I had put in the A308 one month earlier. There is one for $1100 and one for $1395 right now. If you don't like the A308 you can sell it for more than you paid in the fall when prices rise. There are also a few Musical fidelity 3.5 CD players for about $700 that should outperform the AH player. They are also built like a tank and the AH has a flimsy chassis.

I would also guess that the Rega's that Mark recommends are also quite good. The $1000 to $1250 price range used on Audiogon gets into some nice territory (about $2500 to $3000 new).

I ahve heard alot of good stuff about the marantz SA- 8001 Apparently it's predacessor had some issues, but sterophile rated it very well. BTW I have an oppo 981hd and it sounds fantastic,it will play SACD as well. IT gives my Rotel rcd 1072 a run for its money.

You might ask him -- it seems to me that Allan Songer likes his BAT VK-D5 CD quite a bit.

Exactly Larry, I see Pyro has the C840 on his shortlist and for new that is a good choice however it does not have that smooth tube output stage[;)] I have seen the BAT VK-D5's going for as low as $1350.00 (non SE model) but still one heck of a CDP[:D] Allan?

I think the Apollo new is also a very good choice for the $. The Musical Fidelity 3.2 is very nice (though I favor the X-Ray[:P]) and can also be found at a reasonable price on A-goN. I will admit there are a lot of Mini Max owners out there[Y]

Well I went out this weekend and did a A/B comparision of the Reda Apollo and the Cambridge Azur 840. I decided that the 840 was a better choice. They both sounded outstanding but I am not sure I have the right rack to support a top loading player such as the apollo.

Now the big question. Music Servers? What are your impressions of digital music? Squeezebox or others? Digital formats, FLAC Apple Lossless etc.? Sound quality?

Just wondering if a Music Server with a squeezebox and a good DAC would be better served these days.

THXS