DTV Converter Boxes

cmdridq

I couldn't find any threads about these things here. So, I want to get one of the digital to analog converter boxes that are going to be required next year for anyone using an old type analog input TV set. I was wondering if anyone knows of anyplace where these things have been tested, compared, rated, etc.?

• 4 weeks later...

I sent away for the two coupons for discounts on the boxes months ago and have't heard anything yet.

BTW - digital over the air is fine except when the weather is not perfect, like when there's a storm. When real tv goes down it's going to put a lot of people without cable or satellite feeds in danger. If there is an approaching storm and your digital signal gets all scrambled, how are the less wealthy going to know how to seek shelter?

Yes, I applied before the boxes were available and they said there would be a delay, but the boxes have been out for a couple months now, right?

Better apply again. It was lightly raining last night and over-air digital was nearly unwatchable though. I think this might force everyone to go to cable. The poor who cannot afford the cost of cable will just get left behind. What a shame.

Hurricanes? They take out the cable, the power, etc. The old battery operated AM/FM portable radio comes to mind as the standby. Sorta like a Norman Rockwell scene from the 40's, family gathered around, small fire in fireplace, single candle, little mother clutching kids, father tuning radio, and suddenly, the voice, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself".....

Having watched digital HDTV for 5 years now with a 177" super log periodic fixed antenna fades can be very annoying as the sound and picture blurp to nothing then return a few seconds later. Fades can be short or long in duration and with intermod can be "stacatto" driving you clean bannanas. They can occurr at relatively strong signal strengths depending on weather conditions, path conditions (trees, buildings, towers), transmitted power output, and receiver sensitivity. The signal strength meters in your TV's are heavily damped so you will not see the "quickies". Most of my local stations are pretty solid but some of the cheapies drive you nuts. The AVS forum had the official tv station radiation coverage graphs for my location which was very interesting. Sometimes "ducting" can reak havoc with some digital channels interferring with each other if you happen to be re-channelizing your tuner. This happened to me with some digital channels 200 miles away. The tuner did the typical"Three Stooges" act. I said to myself "Holy Toledo". (The offending digital stations were from the Toledo area).

Confuscious say: "Get big antenna, good lead-in, or get Cable/Sat guy to install stuff".

JJK

I just installed a couple of Zenith boxes from RadioShack for my daughter. Stunning results. Full of features -- maybe too many! You will need a really good UHF antenna, not just a "bow-tie". I used a double colinear. DRBILL

Hurricanes? They take out the cable, the power, etc. The old battery operated AM/FM portable radio comes to mind as the standby. Sorta like a Norman Rockwell scene from the 40's, family gathered around, small fire in fireplace, single candle, little mother clutching kids, father tuning radio, and suddenly, the voice, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself".....

Herr Doctor,

A good reminder on the portable radio unit. We have a crankable one. Good also is a NOAA/NWS radio frequency. A touching scene, having the family close, listening to historic technology. [:'(]

Yes, I am considering making myself available locally for the big switch to all digital. This time looking like it may well happen. The Echostar mentioned earlier will be worth considering, while shopping. [Y]

Loss of digital signal can happen for tons of reasons. I have Directv and when it really rains hard it will lose signal. I also have cable internet that you can hook up to the tv when the DTV is down and it also will lose signal at times. When talking about digital all connections must be top notch and not too many at that also you can't use a bunch of splitters it degrades the signal. Another thing I learned which really surprised me, was if you have a splitter with unused ports it will cause signal loss at times. All in all I love HD but this switchover is going to be a nightmare for the people who wait and suddenly have no watcheable TV. If you have cable or sat it's not a problem but for OTA people it will be.

Loss of digital signal can happen for tons of reasons. I have Directv and when it really rains hard it will lose signal. I also have cable internet that you can hook up to the tv when the DTV is down and it also will lose signal at times. When talking about digital all connections must be top notch and not too many at that also you can't use a bunch of splitters it degrades the signal. Another thing I learned which really surprised me, was if you have a splitter with unused ports it will cause signal loss at times. All in all I love HD but this switchover is going to be a nightmare for the people who wait and suddenly have no watcheable TV. If you have cable or sat it's not a problem but for OTA people it will be.

All too true, there will be ongoing issues for the masses, and a learning curve. New innovation should occur, given reception issues surrounding OTA. Innovation = Opportunity.