Please reccommend a DVD player with optical audio out.

robster

Howdy Looking for a DVD player with audio optical out for under $200 that I can use to play my CD's connected to my Benchmark Dac1 and I'll also use the same DVD player to play DVD's on the T.V. soon to be purchased flat LCD screen 720p 40 inch.

I'll need a DVD player with optical out because the digital coax input on my dac will be used for another source,a Wadia Ipod transport .
I was thinking about a Toshiba HD-A3 for $79 off Audiogon new,but read somewhere that Toshiba puts a cap on the audio qulaity of the audio optical output.

Many thanks,
Robert

"but read somewhere that Toshiba puts a cap on the audio qulaity of the audio optical output"

Can't see how - the point of the optical out is that you pass the signal out digitally for something else to decode it. If Tosh employ any form of limiting on the audio quality I would suspect it would be in the DAC - which you are planning to bypass.

As it happens I dont think there are too many DVD players out there that do not have optical out - so it would be a wide choice.

but read somewhere that Toshiba puts a cap on the audio qulaity of the audio optical output.

Its not that they cap the optical out, its more of a limitation of bandwidth availible for the HD lossless tracks. The toslink bandwith can handle 2 channel PCM, or the 5.1 DD/DTS signals, which are compressed. The newer DD-HD and DTS-MA signals require significantly more bandwidth, and must go over the HDMI cable. I think that is more of less the cap on audio quality in respect to these new formats on the HD-DVD/BluRay players, and not so much as a reduction in quality.