On the subject of DVD players....

maxg

I noticed that some DVD players incorporate a 192/24 bit chip for audio - my no-name unit included.

How do I go about utilizing that with some 192/24 recordings? This player is not a DVDa player. If I record a WAV file to a DVD at that resolution how do I know if it will play back at full res or if it is downsampling it - and if it is - to what?

Max:

You cannot use this function unless the machine is DVD-A capable. Without going into the details, this chip is there for upsampling in order to decrease the cost of the filter required to eliminate artifacts from beyond the "brick wall." Good filters with extreme slopes are expensive. Creating a much longer slope allows for the use of cheaper components to achieve the same end. Makes for better units at lower cost.

Dave

You have to record the 192 on your hardrive with an acceptable application (if you are playing from your records/tapes) and play it from there as the CD burning spec is a constant low tech. DVD is something else. Bluray and HD-DVD are also more something else and should be menu accessable.

JJK

You have to record the 192 on your hardrive with an acceptable application (if you are playing from your records/tapes) and play it from there as the CD burning spec is a constant low tech. DVD is something else. Bluray and HD-DVD are also more something else and should be menu accessable.

JJK

Not entirely true. DVD-A provides for 2 channel 24/192 playback. DVD-A mastering software can be had for 100.00 from Minnetonka.

Dave

Max:

You cannot use this function unless the machine is DVD-A capable. Without going into the details, this chip is there for upsampling in order to decrease the cost of the filter required to eliminate artifacts from beyond the "brick wall." Good filters with extreme slopes are expensive. Creating a much longer slope allows for the use of cheaper components to achieve the same end. Makes for better units at lower cost.

Dave

Thanks Dave - I kinda figured as much in that the original DVD video spec only went up to 96/24 and actually most DVD players downsample that - if they come across it - to 48/16 anyway.

So its there - but you can't use it - choice!!

...this chip is there for upsampling in order to decrease the cost of the filter required to eliminate artifacts from beyond the "brick wall." Good filters with extreme slopes are expensive...

If a deck shows a 44 or 48 sampling rate, should we then assume it's not being upsampled and therefore has the filtering you mention?

>If a deck shows a 44 or 48 sampling rate, should we then assume it's not being upsampled and therefore has the filtering you mention?

Let me see the specific spec to which you are referring. When you say "deck" and "sampling rate," it sounds as though you are referring to a recording device. That is different...

Dave

Geezz. I guess I will have to take a course in "How to play your new HI-FI". What ever happened to the old days when you just had to push the button?

JJK

Good lord, man. I just reviewed your system profile. You're telling me you can operate all that with ONE BUTTON?

Dave

I was meanen the "real old days" . Currently there is one master switch for the receivers which I also turn on one by one, the the sub and equalizer and expander come on with the master switch. The players on the other side of the room come on with another master switch with the TV. Since Starfleet Command will not let me position the TV in the correct location I have to listen to left/right channels reversed when watching DVD's or video. This is difficult and causes me to drink more beer. But I never drink during actual listening.

JJK

Geezz. I guess I will have to take a course in "How to play your new HI-FI". What ever happened to the old days when you just had to push the button?

JJK

Good lord, man. I just reviewed your system profile. You're telling me you can operate all that with ONE BUTTON?

Dave

Only two buttons to start up my system. One button turns on the Dx38, then the power button on the receiver starts the rest. The sub EQ is plugged into the receiver's switched outlet, and the power amps are connected to the receiver's 12V trigger outlet.

I thought about connecting the Dx to the receiver's other (2-slot) switched outlet, but the Dx manual states very strongly not to defeat the 3-prong connector in any way. The EV dealer agreed with that advice. I don't mind, two buttons aren't much trouble.

Once the music starts, usually from the tuner, the sub turns itself on, and another day of music listening begins.