Selling my Chorus Speakers

lar418

Selling a pair of upgraded Original Klipsch Chorus speakers in great condition. They have a few scratchs, but overall are great looking speakers. They have consecutive serial numbers, 90011293 and 90011294. They are 101db, with a frequency response of 39hz to 20khz. They have been complete gone over. The tweeter diaphrams have been replaced with titanium diaphrams, (I still have the original), crossover have been updated with all new parts from Bob Crites, internal wiring upgraded, binding posts have been upgraded to Edison Price, all horns have been dampened, cabinet walls dampened, cabinets refinished and bass tuned lower by adding ports. They sound wonderful! I'm only selling these because I'm remodeling my basement and going into a small monitor. They are listed on Audiogon for $875, but would take less from a forum member. Link listed below.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1213420491&item

forums

post-13315-13819367874966_thumb.jpg

I obtained the T/S parameters for the K-48 driver from the Klipsch Tech Help Center. Then I modeled it using Bass Box Pro and determined that by adding ports I could get better bass response. With the stock bass loading there is a 3db peak centered around 80 hz and the F6 is around 45hz. This woofer really needs a larger box. By adding the ports I was able to almost eliminate the peak and was able to extend the F6 to approximately 37hz on paper. The ports are 4" in diameter and 5.5" long.

Saw your sale for these on ebay. Sent you an email through the ebay
system. Just saw this. Thanks for the info on the port tube size.

I have a pair of Epic 3 version ones that I am
comparing to my Chorus ones. The port tubes in the Epics are the exact
same size as what you are using. This is going to be interesting!

I already have the Crites Tweeters.

Did you notice any improvement with the X-over upgrade?

Adding the port tubes was my idea. I noticed that the bass was a little boomy around 80hz to 100hz so I modeled it using bass box pro and it did have a slight bump in response. I then modeled it with 4" port tubes and everything got better.

I also rebuilt the crossover myself and got the caps and mounting board from Bob. I picked up the coils and resistors from Madisound. It was a little work dismantling the existing crossover, but worth it. Exerything got a little cleaner and more realistic sounding.

Thanks for the info! I have been playing today. Took the port tubes out of the epics and threw them into the chorus. It does seem to tighten up the bass a bit. I am not sure if I notice the bass being deeper. I have to keep listening. I still have to compare the epics with the "port tubed" chorus. My earlier impressions have been that the epics have better and tighter bass, especially with rock stuff--more slam. The chorus seem to have a clearer top end. If I can get the bass a bit better while keeping the clear top end that would bethe best of both worlds.

My x'overs in the chorus are stock. My Forte center has Chris Munson's Network in it.