Can't get a proper seal in my left ear =(

Fud

I've had my custom-2s for a good three months now, and I was being lazy, so I didn't re-adjust the flex wires everytime I used them. Imagine my surprise when I got a free sound quality upgrade the other day =P The problem is, the right bud seals well with both the medium and double flange, but the left bud is only adequate with both.

My ear canals can be different widths and lengths right? So short of customs, I won't ever get a better fit =/ It's listenable, but sort of annoying the I can't squeeze out every bit of sound quality my custom-2s can offer . I've tried angling it upward, doesn't help the seal. Also, the left bud doesn't sit flush inside my ear. Any other suggestions? I'm currently trying to mix and match to see if I can have a different tip on each side.

• Like 1

• Moderators

My ear canals can be different widths and lengths right?

Yes! Mine are not just different sizes, but apparently different shapes! One of my canals isn't an oval, but an hourglass-like shape, so I will always have a bit of a comfort problem with any in-ear headphone. The smaller double-flange seems to be the best solution for me...at least these are the only in-ear headphones I've ever been able to wear for any length of time.

Keep trying!

The double-flange types are good for those with complex ear canals. If the ear canal takes an abrupt turn near the outer portion, it's best to use the single flange becase the longer double flange can get crimped in a quick turn.

The advice to treat each ear individually is quite correct- the human body is frequently asymmetrical.

I use the large double flange because I like the extra ambient noise reduction and slip-resistance they offer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just bought a pair of Custom 1's and although I like them very much, I am having a big problem with the gels. I've discovered that my ear canals have 'chicanes' which turn very sharply close to the outside. My right canal is especially tight. I cannot push the gels straight into the canals; instead, they are blocked by the chicanes and float in the air, unable to sit flush with my ears.

The best result I can get from single-flange gels is from a medium (left ear) and large (right). Music quality is OK but external sound is crystal clear & the gels are very easy to dislodge; there is no seal. Dislodging the right gel even slightly usually results in loss of sound, due to the gel aperture getting blocked up against the ear cartilage. If I push the earphones (to try and get a seal) then I lose all music because the gel apertures block up against the chicanes.

The small double-flange gels are able to enter my canals - but only by using the earphone nozzle to lever the obstructing cartilage out of the way, which is very difficult to do. As you might imagine, it's also extremely uncomfortable! The flange also 'pops' loudly when removed from the canal. However, now I know what it's like to get a full seal; external sound is muffled and the music quality is fantastic considering these are the lowest-spec earphones! It's a real shame that I find these gels far too uncomfortable to actually use. The large double-flange gels are too big to enter my canals and the gel apertures are blocked up against the chicanes.

It seems like I only have one choice: unsealed medium&large single-flange gels. Surely there is something that can be done to help increase sound isolation? Can I try another manufacturer's plain foamies instead of gels (if so, then which ones)? Here's an idea; how about big gel/foamie outer-ear covers that can be slipped over the earphone nozzle before attaching the gels - or is that just silly? Do I have to get custom gels fitted, instead? Trust me to have weird ears! What should I do?

Regards, Swift.

I've had my Custom-2s for just about as long as they were on the market, and I only just got the perfect seal. To say the fit is finicky would be an understatment, but these gels are by far the most comfortable I've had to date. I'll run you by a step by step process of how I fit my earphones everyday:

1) Peel back the flange on the tip and line up the raised lines, then straighten the memory wire.

2) Take the earbud and insert it into your ear. At this point the seal may or may not be good, we'll adjust accordingly in the next few steps.

3) Holding the earbud in place, pinch the memory wire at the top of your ear, where the ear meets your head. Ensure the memory wire is flush to your head and that you've pinched it in place so it doesn't budge.

4) If the fit is still not good at this point, push gently on the earbud to insert it further into the ear canal. You can also try pushing on the area near the silver connector between the memory wire and the earbud housing. Continue to push gently along the housing and other portions of the memory wire to ensure you have a good seal, adjust the memory wire once you have found a good fit.

5) Pinch the memory wire in the same area mentioned before, once you have a good fit, and mould the rest of the wire to the back of your ear.

Hope that helps, because my Custom-2s sound better than they ever have since using this method and the large double flange. I couldn't stand using them initially, but since they do curve past the second bend in the ear canal, the seal is much better than the single mediums.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey guys I have a question about using different sized ear tips for each ear.

Does the mismatch affect the over all balance of the sound? Like if I have a larger tip in my left ear than my right, would I get more bass in my left ear than my right?

• 1 month later...

I have the Custom-2 as well, and I'm using the large single flange tips. The right one seals great, but the left one won't. I have to keep pushing it back in all the time, and it just won't stay in place. I tried the double flange ones, but they don't work for me at all.

I would like to find a pair of XL tips, but Klipsch says they don't offer them.

Has anyone tried the Comply memory foam tips on the Custom-2? They offer them in size L, but I'm not sure if they would do any better.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
For those who just cannot seem to get a good seal with the stock ear gels. I had this issue I could get a seal but they would slip out and I’d loose it. There is no way on earth Klipsch can manufacture a generic set of gels to fit everyone. For me the solution was to switch to Comply foam Eartips. I achieve and maintain a good seal each and every time. As anyone who has achieved a good proper seal knows the Custom IEM sound is close to nirvana once you get and maintain a good seal.