Heresy Woofers

I have a pair of Heresy woofers. One of them has some wear on the paper part of the driver. It is not so severe that the paper is about to tear or break. It is just there and it makes the paper less than pristine. Someday I suppose that the paper could tear at the point of the wear but I would not think that it was anything that was going to happen soon. I would feel better if it were fortified someway.

I was wondering about applying something to the paper like a shellac (but not actual shellac) to strengthen the paper to prevent it from one day wearing through. I would not coat the entire paper area. Only the worn parts would be coated and the coating would be light and just enough to seal the area and provide some extra measure of protection. I would want something that would be kind of rubbery when dry.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments or suggestions? Would it damage the sound? Would the protection outweigh any loss of sound quality assuming there was a loss?

looking at the new reference series woofer cones, my question is why would it need to be rubbery, new cones are ceramic and metalic. What about just a touch of light weight epoxy?