"Old" Forte II Owner looking to ressurect my system!

Greetings All. New forum member here. I've been reading up on many of the excellent topics here for a while, but I'm at the point where I need to post for some opinions.

I have a pair of Forte II's that I bought new back in 1989. I guess you could say I have an almost 20 year love affair with my speakers, as I've loved how they've sounded ever since I auditioned (and bought) them way up in Sioux Falls, SD.

For the entire life of my beloved Forte II's, they have been mated to a Yamaha RX-730 Natural Sound Receiver and a Sony CDP-C77ES 5 Disc Changer (with the beautiful wood side panels). I've always loved how my system sounded, and so has anyone who's heard it, but I think MAYBE my system is aging, PLUS the more I've been reading here and on AudioReview.com, the more I wonder if my Forte II's deserve some new (and better) playmates?

I am in no way an "audiophile", but I do know quality sound when I hear it, plus I did run sound for a local band all the way through college in the early 80's (which probably didn't help me, but it was a great way to meet girls!).

I have some decisions to make:

1. Give my speakers a tuneup (new crossovers, plus maybe tweeter and midrange driver upgrades?) I've looked online and read a lot here about Bob Crite's Titanium Diaphrams and possibly Midrange drivers. I know there are other good choices for this here, so I'm not intentionally leaving them out. How do I know if I need these upgrades? I think I definitely want to replace the crossovers with one of the great hot rod options available through one of the members here.

2. New Amp. Even though I know very little more about them, other than what I've read here and a few other places, I'm starting to get enomored about going to a retro integrated tube amp. The concensus choices for my speakers seem to be either the Scott 299 or EICO HF-81? Is either of these better for my speakers? Will they burn my house down? (my wife WILL ask me that!) Should I just try to find either inexpensively and then have them rebuilt by someone like NOSVALVES here? I've read some really great things about the Almarro A318B integrated tube amp... I know it is a lot more coin, but if it (or something new and comparable) is that much better, I would most definitely consider it.

3. Home Theater. I'm still very much a 2-Channel "holdout", but my wife has been asking me if I want to look into setting up (and purchasing) a home theater setup. I think I prefer to keep my Forte II's in my 2-channel audio system, but IF I were to go the HT route with them, what would be some good amplifier suggestions to possibly retain some of the 2-channel audio benefits of a tube amp, while still having the muscle to power a nice HT system?

SORRY for SO many questions... maybe I should have split this into 2 (or 5!) threads!? This appears to be an awesome community of enthusiasts helping each other, and I look forward to learning and sharing my experiences!

Thanks!

Aaron Comer, Coralville, Iowa

p.s. I forgot one potentially VERY important factor... We still have a 3 year old and 8 year old at home, so my system has to be "kid SAFE"... some of the exposed tube amps frighten me visually when it comes to children touching them... is that a realistic concern?

Greetings All. New forum member here. I've been reading up on many of the excellent topics here for a while, but I'm at the point where I need to post for some opinions.

I have a pair of Forte II's that I bought new back in 1989. I guess you could say I have an almost 20 year love affair with my speakers, as I've loved how they've sounded ever since I auditioned (and bought) them way up in Sioux Falls, SD.

For the entire life of my beloved Forte II's, they have been mated to a Yamaha RX-730 Natural Sound Receiver and a Sony CDP-C77ES 5 Disc Changer (with the beautiful wood side panels). I've always loved how my system sounded, and so has anyone who's heard it, but I think MAYBE my system is aging, PLUS the more I've been reading here and on AudioReview.com, the more I wonder if my Forte II's deserve some new playmates?

I am in no way an "audiophile", but I do know quality sound when I hear it, plus I did run sound for a local band all the way through college in the early 80's (which probably didn't help me, but it was a great way to meet girls!). I did the same.

I have some decisions to make:

1. Give my speakers a tuneup (new crossovers, plus maybe tweeter and midrange driver upgrades?) I've looked online and read a lot here about Bob Crite's Titanium Diaphrams and possibly Midrange drivers. I know there are other good choices for this, so I'm not intentionally leaving them out. How do I know if I need these? I think I definitely want to replace the crossovers with one of the great hot rod options mentioned here.YES, but only one mod at a time for your speakers. Wait 6-8 weeks minimum betwen mods to understand the changes.

2. New Amp. Even though I know very little more about them, other than what I've read here and a few other places, I'm starting to get enomored about going to a retro integrated tube amp. The concensus choices for my speakers seem to be either the Scott 299 or EICO HF-81? You must try it or you will always wonder and it will bug the crap out of you. I prefer Scott Integrateds. Everyone has a prefeence. Is either of these better for my speakers? Will they burn my house down? (my wife WILL ask me that!) Should I just try to find either inexpensively and then have them rebuilt by someone like NOSVALVES here? My friend and an excellent technician.

3. Home Theater. I'm still very much a 2-Channel "holdout", but my wife has been asking me if I want to look into setting up (and purchasing) a home theater setup. IF I were to go this route, what would be some good amplifier suggestions to possibly retain some of the audio benefits of a tube amp, while still having the muscle to power a nice HT system? I spent allot of money on HT from 1997-2002 and I love mine for HT but it is in the living room I reside for longer hours to enjoy music.

SORRY for SO many questions... maybe I should have split this into 2 (or 5!) threads!? This appears to be an awesome community of enthusiasts helping each other, and I look forward to learning and sharing my experiences!

Thanks!

Aaron Comer, Coralville, Iowa

Good luck in your pursuit. Welcome to the forum!

Rick

For ht go with a sunfire multi channel amp. You have a choice of current or voltage source for two channel, and an analog bypass with the matching pre-amp. Start with a crossover renewal before driver upgrades. The drivers are probably fine but the crossovers might benefit. Have fun.

In responce to your home theater question, I use Forte II's as my rear surrounds and Lascala's up front. If I were you, I would move the Forte II"S to the back and get some slightly larger heritage for front. I am completely satisified with the Forte's sound and they open the room up way more than the best dedicated surround speaker out there.

Prior to using the Forte's behind me, they were the main speaker in my setup and I had some RS-62's as my rear surrounds. Believe it or not, I sold the RS-62's on Ebay and found a REALLY NICE fourm member that sold me some beat up LaScalas for a really good price! THis was the best decision I have ever made in my life as the LaScala's are truly unbelievable.

For ht go with a sunfire multi channel amp. You have a choice of current or voltage source for two channel, and an analog bypass with the matching pre-amp. Start with a crossover renewal before driver upgrades. The drivers are probably fine but the crossovers might benefit. Have fun.

Thanks! I'm assuming that the Sunfire TGA-5200 or TGA-7200 are sufficient, as long as I utilize surround and center channel speakers with comparable efficieny as my Fortes? 5x200 or 7x200 seems PLENTY!?

In responce to your home theater question, I use Forte II's as my rear surrounds and Lascala's up front. If I were you, I would move the Forte II"S to the back and get some slightly larger heritage for front. I am completely satisified with the Forte's sound and they open the room up way more than the best dedicated surround speaker out there.

Prior to using the Forte's behind me, they were the main speaker in my setup and I had some RS-62's as my rear surrounds. Believe it or not, I sold the RS-62's on Ebay and found a REALLY NICE fourm member that sold me some beat up LaScalas for a really good price! THis was the best decision I have ever made in my life as the LaScala's are truly unbelievable.

THANK YOU for the excellent suggestion. One thing I failed to mention is that my wife has been commenting how LARGE and OUTDATED-LOOKING my Forte II's are! Integrating other speakers with my Forte's as mains is something I might be able to fly... I'd love to see the look on her face if I brought home some beautiful LaScala's for up front! Hey wait a minute... who's making the decisions around this house? Maybe I should just put my foot down... and then start enjoying my Forte's in the garage! ;-)

I do LOVE that idea, as I never really thought of using my Forte's in the back... WOW, that must be stunning sounding... lucky you!

Welcome to the forum Aaron! Keep an eye on the Garage Sale Forum for vintage amps. You may also want to look at audiogon.com for modern or vintage equipment. I have vintage and newer gear and enjoy both for different reasons.

With children the age of yours a tube cage or cover would be a good idea. As for fires.....I never leave my tube gear on while I am away from home.....but thats just me.

You seem to be on the right track and Bob Crites should be able to help you or point you in the right direction with your speaker parts needs.

I can't help you with HT.....I am a 2 channel dinosaur.

Chuck

Welcome to the forum Aaron! Keep an eye on the Garage Sale Forum for vintage amps. You may also want to look at audiogon.com for modern or vintage equipment. I have vintage and newer gear and enjoy both for different reasons.

With children the age of yours a tube cage or cover would be a good idea. As for fires.....I never leave my tube gear on while I am away from home.....but thats just me.

You seem to be on the right track and Bob Crites should be able to help you or point you in the right direction with your speaker parts needs.

I can't help you with HT.....I am a 2 channel dinosaur.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck!

I will start keeping an eye on the Garage Sale Forum, and I'll definitely take your advice on the tube amp cover/cage, if I end up going that route.

My first order of business is to get my speakers "tuned up". I want to do it progressively, so I can guage the improvements. First I want to upgrade to some new/fresher crossovers and see how that sounds with my old Yamaha. I know that my little 20 year-old Yamaha 2x70 is pretty low-fi compared to what many/most run here, but I tell you it is a pretty powerful and clean little receiver... the discrete amps help, and it has never failed to drive my speakers very well (although it does get very hot at high volumes, as I think it struggles with some of the loads that the Forte II's demand.

After the crossovers, I'll evaluate how my highs and mids sound, and determine if replacing the drivers will give me good benefit... this is where Bob Crites and others can certainly help me with some suggestions.

Then it will be on to deciding on amplification. For SS and Home Theater, I like the idea of the Sunfire amp and pre-amp. Those teo would set me back $3000-$3500 if I go 5-channel, I believe... more if I go 7.

But, I'm also very drawn towards keeping my Forte II's in a 2-channel setup, so I guess I have decisions to make at some point! A nice integrated tube amp sure sounds fun.

I'll worry about my CD player last, as my old Sony ES still sounds pretty darn good to me... it just has a warm, smooth, almost analog sound to it, which I do like.

Thanks again!

Yes the 200 watt amps will be plenty. Indy here runs the 200 on an all lascala ht and loves it.

Thanks again! I figured so... If I go the HT route with my Forte IIs and go Sunfire, I'd probably go with the TGA-5200 and matching Theater Grand Processor... then to decide on center and rear speakers, but that is for the HT forum... 3 more Forte IIs would be perfect, but like I said, my wife already thinks my speakers are "clunky", so maybe Academy center and a compromise with her for the rear channels...

Like you said, have fun... which I will!

I understand the WAF - It's kinda funny but my woman prefers the look of the Lascala's to the sleek Reference series OR the Forte II's. Think of it this way, for the amount of money you are about to spend to completely update the Forte II's, you could sell the Forte II's and take the money you were going to put into them and combind both funds to buy something a bit further up the Heritage line.

If you picked up some cornwalls, they wouldn't look that much different than the Forte II's (so your wife would probably be ok with them) and they sound a whole lot better! Plus, you could easily afford them with the money you got for your forte's plus maybe 100 or 200 bucks.

My opinion is to invest in better speakers instead of better electronics. I really doubt your Forte's will sound much better with new gear. On the other hand, if you are going to be using a 5.1 setup, and would like to take advantage in optical/hdmi/coax/etc, a new receiver would be able to add a lot more functionality than your current setup although the sound quality would probably only increase a bit.

I understand the WAF - It's kinda funny but my woman prefers the look of the Lascala's to the sleek Reference series OR the Forte II's. Think of it this way, for the amount of money you are about to spend to completely update the Forte II's, you could sell the Forte II's and take the money you were going to put into them and combind both funds to buy something a bit further up the Heritage line.

If you picked up some cornwalls, they wouldn't look that much different than the Forte II's (so your wife would probably be ok with them) and they sound a whole lot better! Plus, you could easily afford them with the money you got for your forte's plus maybe 100 or 200 bucks.

My opinion is to invest in better speakers instead of better electronics. I really doubt your Forte's will sound much better with new gear. On the other hand, if you are going to be using a 5.1 setup, and would like to take advantage in optical/hdmi/coax/etc, a new receiver would be able to add a lot more functionality than your current setup although the sound quality would probably only increase a bit.

Thanks WSU! Great advice... I'd love to upgrade to Cornwalls... my wife already wishes I'd sell my F2s and go with more "modern looking skinny speakers" (her words). NOT going to happen... It's funny that BEFORE we even got married, my one thing I said I wanted was to be able to pick where my speakers go... she gets the rest of the house! But maybe some Cornwalls should be in my future! ;-)

I spoke with my wife last night about my above options, and she is all for me building an HT system around my F2s... she asked me how much it will cost, and I told her my budget will be $8-$10k (we "need" a new plasma/lcd also)... she then said let's wait until Fall, since we aren't inside much in the Summer.... SO I have some time to explore your "Cornwall swap" idea and start picking up pieces! For HT amp/preamp, right now I'm leaning toward the "bang for the buck" options like Outlaw 990/7700, Emotiva MMC-1/MPS-2, or Sunfire TGP-5/TGA-7200.

I know I'm just full of questions here, but here is my latest "idea"... Since I'm not going 2-channel, tubes are out (bummer, but more practical for ME), I'm thinking about playing around with an old vintage receiver with my F2's through the Summer and Fall. My Yamaha receiver is actually now out in our garage running some old Infinity speakers, and my F2's are staring at me right now in my office not hooked up (so sad).

In the interim, I'm thinking about picking up a GOOD vintage receiver to hook up to my F2s... Once I pull the F2s into my new HT system, I have several places I could use the receiver (like powering my 4 Bose 151 outdoor speakers on my back deck and patio). The receivers I'm thinking about are Sansui 7700/8800/9900 and Marantz 22XX receivers. Does anyone have any expereince with these with Klipsch heritage speakers to be able to tell me how it would sound? I know tubes are best, but would one of these old analog receivers give me some decent "warm" sound, or be harsh sounding?

Thanks to all!

Your wife would hate cornwalls. And there are some (at least one or two) who would argue that they are not a step up anyway, especially if no sub is involved. All I can say is, my wife has seen and heard cornwalls, and there is no way I could get them into the house without a "conversation."

If you want to try cornwalls, get a beater set for the garage/shop wherever the ladies don't venture for long.