Forte II HT System - Amp / PreAmp / Rear Speaker Recommendations

aaroncomer

Greetings All. New forum member here. Part of this is a duplicate of my first post over on the 2-Channel Forum, so apologies to readers of both!

I have a pair of Forte II's that I bought new back in 1989. I guess you could say I have an almost 20 year love affair with my speakers. For the entire life of my beloved Forte II's, they have been mated to a Yamaha RX-730 Natural Sound Receiver and a Sony CDP-C77ES 5 Disc Changer (with the beautiful wood side panels). I've always loved how my system sounded, and so has anyone who's heard it, but my Forte II's deserve some new (and better) playmates. I'm considering going to a 2-channel tube system, but also considering building a new HT system around my Forte IIs... thus my questions here.

From what I've learned here, and research of a multitude of other online resources, the following are my considerations and decisions to make. I know that actually hearing each setup is the only way to know for sure, but ANY insight, knowledge, or just plain old opinions are VERY welcome and appreciated!

1. Amp/PreAmp. If I had to buy tomorrow, I believe I would be choosing between the following three amp/preamps: Outlaw 990/7700, Emotiva MMC-1/MPS-2, or Sunfire TGP-5/TGA-7200. I won't lie that I WANT to like one of the first two best, as they cost considerably less than the Sunfire combo. I've read nothing but great things about the Outlaw and Emotiva components, but here is my biggest question... I love listening to audio as much or more as watching/listening to HT, and I've read over and over that Legacy Klipsch's like my Forte IIs sound "harsh" or "bright" with a lot of SS components. One of the acknolwedged virtues of Sunfire is being able to switch to current source for a "warmer, more tubelike sound". Anyone with any experience or knowledge of using any of the above amp/preamp brands with Klipsch legacy (horn) speakers is greatly appreciated... Other choices are VERY welcome also!

2. Center Channel. Too many votes for the Academy for me to ignore. Done, I will locate, buy, and go with an Academy center. A Forte II center would be WAY cool, but my wife already thinks my Forte's are "clunky and outdated"... which is one of the charms of them to me, but that is another story!

3. Rear Channel Speakers. Given the enormous power output of any of the three above amp/preamp combos, combined with the high efficiency of my Forte IIs, my rear channel speaker choices are limited... if I want the best sound and performance. Forte IIs would obviously be perfect, but my aformentioned "wife issue", with their size and look might preclude that. We also have a fairly large and long room this will be going in (20x30), and the listening/viewing area is right in the middle of the room. Where in the world does one PLACE speakers like Forte II's as rear channels in this configuration? Way back on the back wall? We have halls and doors back there. IF I have to go with something mounted up near the ceiling, what are my best choices, given my above variables?

4. Subs. No offense to Klipsch subs (they are great), but I'm almost certain my subs will be a PAIR of Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs... TWO of them for $999? ... wow... and the reviews are too amazing for me to not at least try them out.

Thanks, and feel free to poke holes in my ideas and assumptions!

Aaron Comer, Coralville, Iowa

Aaron - Welcome aboard. I too am a fan of Forte's, although they are now doing rear-speaker duty in my HT after I replaced them as fronts with Chorus speakers.

Re the pre-amp, I think you might also want to look at the Integra 9.8 or Onkyo Pro PR-SC885 (essentially the same units with a couple minor differences). These have been getting rave reviews for their price/performance and they handle all the latest audio and video formats....

Hi Aaroncomer

I have the forte II's set up as a HT system. Iv'e had the sunfire TGA 7400 and recently got the TGP5 as the pre amp. I don't use the current out and don't believe that they are to harsh. I think the harshness would have more to do with your room than with the amp. My room is all carpet with suspended acoustic tile ceiling. Hard wood floors and high ceilings may make a difference. As far as center I would go with the forte II. I first had an academy even with a popbummper K-stack and it still didn't come close to the forte II for a center. For the surrounds you can use forte II's and just place them slightly back of the listening area and toed out from the wall a little. That seems to work well for mine. I also use Quartets as rear centers. Quartets could be used for surrounds and take up just a little less space than forte II's. I'm in the rock Island area if you want to take a listen just e-mail me. For the surround you could go with the new klipsch surround speakers, they also use the tractrix horns and may be a close enough sound for timber match. (surrounds are not as important as the three across the front. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have original Forte's across the front, and I have loved having a pair of horizontally wall mounted KG4.2's as rears.

They are intimadating on the wall but isn't that part of the fun of owning classic Klipsch?

BTW, I have a KLF C7 doing center duty, and absolutely love it.