center channel mount

banasikdrummer

So I just bought a used 43" widescreen TV for my home theater, but I'm running into a problem with my RC-7 placement, due to poor planning on my part.

The TV itself is a projection TV with about five inches of flat space to set something on before it slopes downward, which originally led me towards buying a center channel TV top mount (something like this: http://www.efunctional.com/cch1p.html), but after e-mailing Hitachi, they advised me against placing a 42 pound speaker on top of the TV, as it may bend the cabinet and distort the picture.

Other than buying an entertainment center, does anyone have any suggestions for how I could get the RC-7 above the TV? If not...how detrimental to the Klipsch experience would it be if I were to place the center under the TV in the stand which it sits on with the speaker practically sitting on the ground, tilted slightly upwards?

Any way to mount a shelf just above the TV?

I wish there were, but the TV's going to be in front of a window, so affixing a shelf to the wall behind the TV isn't an option. If all else fails, my backup plan was going to be building an entertainment center around the TV, but I was using that as a last resort since it'd take the most time and probably the most money.

If I was in this situation . . .

How about making a large inverted U out of 1" x 12" boards (or ripped plywood). The long legs would be at the sides of the TV and then a horizontal piece at the top to form a shelf just above the display. It would be a bit wobbly unless you make a box section at the top to take the speaker. If you put some masonite as the back of the box it would be fairly stiff and not wobbly.

You'd have to make some physical connection to the back wall to keep it from tipping forward but that could be a simple as a stout wire connected to a toggle bolt in the wall.

Painted black to match the TV and speaker it wouldn't be too intrusive . . . or white to match the wall.

The good part is that this could be knocked together on a Saturday afternoon. Much less investment than a cabinet. If you don't like it, there is little investment lost.

Gil

I think I'm gonna go with McDermott's suggestion of an 'inverted U' which surrounds the TV, as it was the first idea that I had, too.

And even though I don't expect there to be a plethora of wood-workers out there on the Klipsch forum, it won't hurt to ask...would MDF be an acceptable choice of building materials, assuming I brace the joints properly, or would some other type of wood/pressboard be preferred in this situation?

Is that the Braves...lol

thanks for the quick reply

I like the open back, sure it helps to keep things cool.

StanO

Alright, where did the handles go?

Upgrade that cable box, I just went to a HD Direct Cable set-up, big difference.

I had a similar problem with my old 52" Zenith projection TV. I wanted to use a Heresy II as a center channel but didn't want it sitting on top of the TV cabinet due to the weight and vibration. I thought about building a "cabinet" around the back of the TV and then use the top as a shelf for the H-II. After some consideration I decided that was going to be expensive and take me a lot of time to build and finish. I needed something that would have a base that fit under the TV but hold the H-II over the angled back of the TV. I finally came up with the idea to use 1 1/4" pipe and make a stand for the H-II. I went to Lowe's and bought all of the fittings to make the stand. I bolted it to a 3/4" thick plywood base that was 2' x 2' in size. The base slides in under the TV and the shelf that the H-II sits on cantilevers out over the angled back of the TV. The legs are adjustable up and down by about 6" - 8" so it will work with my next TV (that I hope to get soon). I also made a small wooden shelf with a lip on the front that keeps the H-II from sliding off. The shelf has stick-on felt circles to protect the finish of the H-II. The shelf is adjustable so that the H-II can be angled down toward the listening area. I painted the whole stand flat brown (wish I had painted it black now). My wife can still put her bird figurines on top of the TV cabinet and the H-II is not sitting directly on the cabinet where its weight and vibration might affect the TV.

If someone will tell me how to post photos I will show the stand. I can't figure it out.

If someone will tell me how to post photos I will show the stand. I can't figure it out.

You're going to need to get those pictures hosted before you can put them on the forums...which is pretty easily accomplished by going to www.photobucket.com and taking five minutes to create an account and upload the pictures. After you've uploaded the pictures, copy the URL which accompanies 'Direct Link.' Now, when you want to post the picture(s) on the forum, click on the 'Insert/edit image' button in the little toolbar (the picture of the tree, two icons to the left of the smiley) and paste the URL into the field that says 'Image URL.'

Hopefully that'll work for you, 'cause I'm a tad curious to see how this actually looks...

You're going to need to get those pictures hosted before you can put them on the forums...

You don't have to get them hosted but if you want to post more then one picture then you will have to.

To post a picture go to the top and click on the "Options" tab then "Add/Upload". Search your computer for the picture and then you might have to scroll all the way to the right to find the "Save" button. And last hit the "Post" button, some have had trouble if they try to "Preview" so don't do that just post it. But like I said you will only be able to post one picture at a time this way.

James