DIY Heresy Stands

So I need some stands to push up my Heresy's to more ear level while I sit at my desk and when I'm walking around my apartment. Right now they sit on the floor at the sides of my desk. I know they aren't made to be near field monitors but.... It's what I got haha.

Results of New Paint

Can't see them too well, but look to the bottom right and left, printer sits on the one on the left.

So I'm thinking about raising these guys up a bit, around 26 inches and at the same time creating shelves for my photography equipment and books. Here are the plans I whipped up...

Heresy-Shelf-Stand

The bottom of the shelf could hold my heavy portfolio books or my gallon jugs of distilled water (used in developing my film shots). I am not too worried about it being top heavy since the base is the same size as the speaker and with the weight of the portfolios/water jugs in the bottom.

I tried making this up in SketchUP to give a 3D view but I guess it just isn't made for the mac, it crashed everytime. So back to the pencil and paper!

This would be made with 3/4" wood, the back panel would be solid and screws into the other four peices to make the whole deal solid. The middle shelf is screwed to the sides/back to increase sturdiness and I plan to put a few wedges in there to further stabilize.

I have hard rubber feet for the bottom of the stand to secure it to my hardwood floors and thinner rubber feet from the speaker to the top of the stand.

So what do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? Or should I scrap the whole deal and plug in my Promedia's (2.1's or 5.1 Ultras) and just use them on the desk?

Love to read any of your thoughts!

-justin

Go for it.

They make special moldings that look good around the edge. For example, look at HH-7430 on the following link.

http://www.hoganhardwoods.com/hogan/pages/products/02_Moulding/ce_02.htm

You let the flat edge rest on the perimeter of the table, and the molding goes around kind of like a skirt. There are others that fit similarly, but with a different look. It makes for a nicer finishing touch. If you want to leave room for this idea, then make sure the edge of the base overlaps enough all the way around (i.e. recess your shelves in a little). Good luck.

Yeah, glad they didn't catch me!!! haha!

You think I'm clean... you haven't seen anything! I'm crazy about being clean... It is something that I grew into, definitely wasn't always this clean.

Results of New Paint

Results of New Paint

So the plans look good eh? Thanks for the comments thus far :-)

They will not sound the same if they are too high, nothing to do with San Diego St., unless you use a sub woofer. Heresy's really use the floor to project the best sound ............. I have mine about 6" off the floor, but I use a sub .............. try different heights before you decide .........

I'm not too worried about bass response really. I'm not sure if it is the concrete walls and ceiling of my apartment or the hard wood floors but I find the bass overwhelming at times. I also have a small Klipsch sub, talking really small, an SWS, that I can use paired with the Heresy's if I need to fill that bottom end. I used to use the SWS when I was in my old place but here, it was just too much.

Does that make sense?

Nice looking cw's & must be a hefty stand.

Thanks, Arky. The stands were easy to build. I used lag bolts and wood glue to attach base and top to pedestals. The molding around the top of the stand was not only for aesthetics. It was originally for looks, but it serves a purpose of also preventing the sound vibrations from allowing the speaker to eventually slide off the stand.

• 2 weeks later...

Those plans look great.

Here's a pic of the stands I made for my Heresy's.

sorry about the camera phone pic

They are made out of 3/4 inch birch, just screwed together.

I sized the bottom section to be the right size for LP's and the little top shelf to fit DVD/VHS cases.

They bring the midrange right up to ear level[:D]

Peace,

Josh

Hard to say.

When I built the stands they went from being upside down on a shelf on the top of my desk in a really small apt to being at one end of a 15x20 foot living room with a dining room connecting to it and now they are in the bottom of our apt which is a room about 9x25.

Currently I'm very happy with the way they sound with the eq set flat on my yamaha receiver.

They do have an extra piece of 3/4" mdf piggy packed on the back of the cabinet so the 1/2" back panel no longer resonates with the low freq's(a mod I feel helped the sound if not the lower reach of the bass).

Peace,

Josh

• 5 years later...