Don't Buy McIntosh

artto

God forbid anything should go wrong with your unit. McIntosh service SUCKS.

The front glass panel for my MX130 is backordered. The unit has been in the shop since February 4. McIntosh has no ETA on the part and refuses to give an ETA.

When I buy a Rolls Royce type product, I expect Rolls Royce type service. The service department was even very cagey and sly about the way they answered, or I should say, declined to answer any of my inquries. For having so many products in the $5000 - $25000 range this is a damn shame!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the MX130. Stereophile recommended in 1995. When did they stop making them?

I have had to wait for MAC glass as well. Longest was about 1 year.

I dont know of any other MFG that still supports 10-15 yr old gear; or would re-order glass once their stock goes out. We all know what happened to Rolls Royce - they went belly up.

Good luck. TommyK

I think Audio Karma's McIntosh forum has some guys from McIntosh that post there regularly. Might wanna post there. I hate it when bad service happens to good products.

I think his moniker is RonC. I met him at the Montreal Audio show last year and he was a very nice guy.

Kudret

I think Audio Karma's McIntosh forum has some guys from McIntosh that post there regularly. Might wanna post there. I hate it when bad service happens to good products.

I think his moniker is RonC. I met him at the Montreal Audio show last year and he was a very nice guy.

Kudret

He is a wealth of information and helpful to boot.

I too would recommend that you contact Audio Classics. They had glass in stock for my 6100. I believe that Mcintosh manufactures the glass once they get a few orders for it. I don't think that getting a cagey response is good but I would have to say it is pretty remarkable that they still will supply glass for a unit that old. Even if it takes a while to get it. There are not many if any companies that I can think of that do that.

Josh

You can chat with Ron C (Ron Cornelius) in the MAC section of Audiokarma. He is a great guy and knows the innards.

Auduiclassics is great too. I have had to ship things to MAC before and also talked with them on the phone. All good experiences.

I hpe you get your glass replaced.

jc

Audio Classics gets their glass from Mac. When I placed an order for a 6100 faceplate in August, they had the production run and filled the order in March. I have seen three 130s in St. Louis with broken faceplate glass, so maybe the run is right around the corner, Artto.

What a far cry from the days of the McIntosh Clinic when they would repair any old McIntosh piece of gear --- often on the spot -- and at no charge!

Customer service used to be a high priority, at least on the part of certain companies such as Mcintosh, JBL and Klipsch (as far as I know it is still in style with Klipsch). JBL replaced an expensive tweeter I dropped from above a movie screen --- in about 5 days, for free! They had a "Lifetime Warranty" then that excluded mishandling, but waved the rule for me, without my asking.

Paul Klipsch wrote a customer who asked if he should buy a K-Horn upgrade, advising him to give the money to the customer's favorite charity, and consider some future upgrade, when the audible difference would be greater.

Bring customer service back in style!

Guest " "

God forbid anything should go wrong with your unit. McIntosh service SUCKS.

The front glass panel for my MX130 is backordered. The unit has been in the shop since February 4. McIntosh has no ETA on the part and refuses to give an ETA.

When I buy a Rolls Royce type product, I expect Rolls Royce type service. The service department was even very cagey and sly about the way they answered, or I should say, declined to answer any of my inquries. For having so many products in the $5000 - $25000 range this is a *** shame!

Is this Mcintosh as in your local dealer or Mcintosh factory service department.

"Garyrc wrote the following post at Fri, May 9 2008 7:44 PM:

What a far cry from the days of the McIntosh Clinic when they would repair any old McIntosh piece of gear --- often on the spot -- and at no charge!

Customer service used to be a high priority, at least on the part of certain companies such as Mcintosh, JBL and Klipsch (as far as I know it is still in style with Klipsch). JBL replaced an expensive tweeter I dropped from above a movie screen --- in about 5 days, for free! They had a "Lifetime Warranty" then that excluded mishandling, but waved the rule for me, without my asking.

Paul Klipsch wrote a customer who asked if he should buy a K-Horn upgrade, advising him to give the money to the customer's favorite charity, and consider some future upgrade, when the audible difference would be greater.

Bring customer service back in style!"

If only we could go back to those days...things just don't/can't exist like that anymore.

McIntosh is expensive anyway.

Have you any idea how much more it would be for glass if they carried a large stock level for non-current product?

I'll wager you wouldn't be willing to pay it.

Klipsch follows the same business practices on replacement parts for older speakers, even though they made mass quantities (compared to McIntosh).

Chrysler is owned by Daimler Benz. That doesn't mean they're out of business. Our Govt bailed Chrysler out also. Big difference between going "belly up" and reorganization. Oldsmobile is belly up, many car companies are under corporate umbrellas so to speak. Sorry to hear about your mcxperience!