A new Amp for Klipsch RF-7 ---> Some ideas, advice ?

pendjab

Hello, my name is jérôme ans I am writting from France.

I would like to buy a new amplifier for my RF-7 speakers. I am not really sure about what I want. I am thinking of tube-amp (for ex. Audio Research VS 55) or maybe a class A transistor one (for ex. accuphase A-30)... I am mostly listening to rock, jazz, fado, dub... my listening room is ~20 m2 (4m x 5m).

My system is:

- Accuphase C-260 preamplifier

- Accuphase DP-500 CD-player

- Thorens TD 165 MKII

Maybe some people on this blog have ideas ? advices ?

Thanks

RF-7's can be very demanding on an amp as they have an impedance drop below 3 Ohms at certain frequencies. They also need a good bit of power to drive their woofers with authority. I wouldn't think they would lend themselves to tubes as well as some of the Heritage lines. Others may differ, but I'd put a 100 to 200 wpc to them.

Jerome,

You've got a very nice system.

My takes on tubes is that using seperate preamp and poweramp if adding a single piece of tube gear, the preamp lends more tube sound than the power amp. Thus a system would usually sound better with a tube preamp in front of the SS poweramp. This is usually more satisfactory than a SS preamp in front of a tube power amp.

It is important to find a tube preamp which is a good impedance match to the power amp.

I am quite fond of Mark Deneen's Juicy Music preamps. I've owned both the Peach and Merlin and was terribly impressed with both. The Merlin is the more economical option and might work just fine. The Peach is more versitile in it's feature set. It offers more inputs, HT bypass, and and LoZ option for matching some power amps.

I know that Mark will build the Merlin as a LoZ unit, if requested. In terms of sound, I could not discern any difference in quality between the Peach and Merlin. If a phono stage is desired, look at the JM Blueberry.

Of course, to try out the tube flavor, it is a perfectly reasonable option to check it out with a tube integrated.

I would agree with CECAA850........with the only difference being that I'd up it to 400 to 500 wpc to truly appreciate the RF-7's........srtrictly from my own experience with them. Pro-amps with a quality preamp can be very impressive........depending on your listening requirements/taste in music. [:D]

The RF-7's may be the pickiest Klipsch speaker to mate amps/preamps with. I have two pair......and a third pair on the way!![Y]

A used Rotel RB 990 200wpc works great but a RB 1090 380wpc is even better. 990's run $350 US and 1090's $1200 US. I had the 990 and now have the 1090. Very happy. They run luke warm and easily power my RF-7's. A third level choice is NAD's top of the line 150wpc. I had it too but forget the model #.

Thanks everybody for your help.

I am thinking of a Pass Lab x-250.
2x250W/8Ohm, highly biased in a Class A.

I've heard very good things about the Pass Lab power-amp. Does anybody own one, or did listen to one ?

regards,

jérôme

RF-7's can be very demanding on an amp as they have an impedance drop below 3 Ohms at certain frequencies. They also need a good bit of power to drive their woofers with authority. I wouldn't think they would lend themselves to tubes as well as some of the Heritage lines. Others may differ, but I'd put a 100 to 200 wpc to them.

Huge misconception..........RF-7 do just fine with quality tube amplifiers!! My 60 watt mono blocks will power a set of RF-7's without missing a beat. I've been there and done it. In fact I have customers with my Stereo power amp configured at 30 to 35 WPC and loving it. In the standard 45 WPC configuration I bet it would really sing....

I believe that you might be better off using 200 watt SS if you want to listen to Jet planes take off at 110db for Home Theater use though [;)]

Craig

I find high power amps do make the RF-7s really come alive at above 90dbs. IME you really get the full bass potential of the RF-7s and the sound is very nice using the Crown XTi series. But at lower decibals IMO they seem a little lifeless, like a smaller speaker. At lower levels I prefer listening to them with a powered sub like the RSW-15 (mine as been out of comission since January) with SS or tubes.

Thanks everybody for your help.

I am thinking of a Pass Lab x-250.
2x250W/8Ohm, highly biased in a Class A.

I've heard very good things about the Pass Lab power-amp. Does anybody own one, or did listen to one ?

regards,

jérôme

$6000.00 msrp............How much will you be able to get one for? If you're gonna get one for even half the msrp..........might as well pick up a Crown XTI 2000 for a measly $600.00 and compare the two side by side. Unless money isn't an issue.[:D]

I find high power amps do make the RF-7s really come alive at above 90dbs. IME you really get the full bass potential of the RF-7s and the sound is very nice using the Crown XTi series. But at lower decibals IMO they seem a little lifeless, like a smaller speaker. At lower levels I prefer listening to them with a powered sub like the RSW-15 (mine as been out of comission since January) with SS or tubes.

I infer the amp you refer too performs poorly at low wattage. Never heard RF-7 sound lifeless at low levels in many demos. I was listening to Mike Whell's RF-7 last weekend at the AK FEST with ARS on vinyl.