White Van Strikes Again?

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-608-HOME-THEATER-SURROUND-SOUND-AUDIO-SPEAKER-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ170218600135QQihZ007QQcategoryZ32861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Some of you guys around here have probably seen these on ebay in the past and simply ignored them, but I was drawn in momentarily and made the realization of just how blatantly criminal this stuff is. $249.99 gets you four "full range" tower speakers, a center channel and an integrated subwoofer/ reciever, which has no recognizable digital inputs of any kind. The system specifications look accurate, though. Accurately HORRIBLE!

Sensitivity: (1W-1M): 86dB

Total Harmonic 10% at 25W / 8 ohms [:o]

Subwoofer

Frequency Range: 150 Hz ~ 180 Hz.... wow.

There's plenty more hilarity in that ad alone, but their little "Buy from Us" paragraph next to a logo of the "Fair Business Association of America" ([*-)]) really takes the cake:

"People, who know sound, know GENESIS MEDIA LABS. It is a name that commands respect because

GENESIS MEDIA LABS speakers are ranked among the

finest in the world. GENESIS MEDIA LABS has pioneered many internationally acclaimed innovations. No other manufacturer has

done more to advance the art of digital loudspeaker engineering. Cutting edge professionals are launching digital loudspeakers

and the element is GENESIS MEDIA LABS Professional technology and only the highest quality speaker components are used.

Making great speakers is an art, same as a live concert performance. GENESIS

MEDIA LABS's standard policy is to never get

satisfied. The customer is No.1! We attract more and more satisfied customers by providing them with prompt service, quality

products, reasonable prices, and excellent customer service."

Someone needs to go Eliot Ness on this group and clean them out!

Wow...Just wow. I think that this might be the deal of the century! Anybody who wants in on the action had better get these quick.

I like how the sub is listed as 500watt output, but then it says that it is 100watts at 10% distortion[^o)]! Then it goes on to state it's really 70watts . I bet someone out there bought this package and loves the heck out of it.

• Moderators

I think that this might be the deal of the century! Anybody who wants in on the action had better get these quick.

Would you be willing to go in halves with me? I bet if we split the cost and cut the speakers in half, we would get the same amount of quality (or lack of) than the originals.

A rear-ported receiver? There's something you don't see every day. I wonder if the oval port helps the sub's performance? It probably does go all the way down to 150Hz like the specs say. Those specs do look pretty realistic, so if any prospective buyer can read the specs, he'll have a good idea of how (bad) the system will sound, so no dishonesty there.

I think that this might be the deal of the century! Anybody who wants in on the action had better get these quick.

Would you be willing to go in halves with me? I bet if we split the cost and cut the speakers in half, we would get the same amount of quality (or lack of) than the originals.

I'm game. I tell you what though I'm a little broke right now. How about you purchase the and then you can saw them in half and I'll pay you my half once I get my half[;)].

The only thing I'm worried about is voiding the warranty. I've heard that their service is top notch!

Apparently the white van "speakerguys" are serious. Have a look at their "official" website.

http://www.genesismedialabs.com/

Is it any surprise that their flagship $2,599/piece floorstanding speakers use an "optimized horn tweeter"? [;)]

You'd think that such fraudulent business practices would attract the SEC, FCC, BBB, IRS, FDA, and the FAA. In that order!