magnetic interference

CatKnight

i cant move them anywhere unfortuneately there is no other good spot to put them where the sound decent.

also, my monitor occasionally flickers totally (sort of like degauss, but not quite as strong). this is unrelated to my speakers it's been hapening since i moved into my dorm. my monitor is almost brand new. im wondering if its power pollution or interference of some sort.

do you have every freakin thing in your dorm hooked up to like 1 or 2 outlets? its probably a power supply problem, cause when you rev the pro's or other stuff on the same outlet/circuit, it'll cause the monitor to flicker. if i rev my microwave, my monitor does a rolling flicker thing. hell, if i rev my electric pencil sharpener, it really goes all to hell. its kinda cool. we always blow the fuses or whatever in our building and trip the breakers. make sure nothing else is on other than comp and speakers, and if possible, put them on different outlets.

hope this helps,

J

I used to have sort of the same problem, since I live in a dorm too. The guy in the next room over and my desks are facing the same wall, and I can always tell when he uses his pencil sharpener from the magnetic interference that comes through the wall and flickers my monitor smile.gif Anyway, my room is self contained on its own breaker. Originally when I got in the room, there was a 10 amp breaker in my closet. Running my comp, monitor, speakers (moderate level), and florescent light, it would do fine. When the fridge kicked in, the breaker would blow. So, I went to the hardware store, got a 15 amp breaker, put it in, and my power problems were gone. I do hear a slight clicking in my speakers when the fridge comes on, but a way to reduce this is to run the speakers through a power strip (a decent one) rather than through the wall sockets. Hope some of this helps a little.

------------------

The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

quote:

Originally posted by CatKnight:

yes, i do have everything in my room hooked up to 2 outlet. duh! what else am i supposed to do? run a mile long extension cord from the power plant? i think guh not.

but the answer is yes

That's gotta be the problem then. I don't know much about power conditioners, but that might be something to look into. You may also see a difference if you use two different outlet strips, and move things around on them.

Good Luck.