TRADE A PAIR OF RF-7s FOR CORNWALLS??

RobCurran

Hey there HT forum readers - Have you been reading what many of the two-channel forum folks are saying? That the vintage Heritage line speakers, specifically Cornwalls, are better than the new RF-7s. Can this be true? Has Klipsch been following the market hype of new and improved, when their TRUE FAN base lies with the Heritage series? Like Zorg in The Fifth Element said, Im a little d-d-disappointed!

Ive been stationed overseas for a while and was pretty jazzed up about listening to the new RF-7s when I returned to the states this summer. I was hoping that the RF-7s were a return to music fidelity, with SOME HT considerations. But after reading many posts from die-hard Klipsch fans, my enthusiasm for the RF-7s is losing steam. Ill still give them a listen but it will be half-hearted.

Is there anyone out there who could put a smile back on my face? Please, someone, WOULD YOU TRADE IN YOUR CORNWALLS FOR A PAIR OF RF-7?! If not, Ebay and Audiogon, here I come.

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

TV: 29" Sony Trinitron

DVD: Toshiba SD9200

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 01-20-2002 at 01:24 PM

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

you will just have to listen and decide for yourself

i'm quite sure that even with a 'half hearted' listen you will be completely blown away by the RF7's.

old hornies are just locked into that old horny sound - it actually doesn't do much for me.

The RF7's are giant killers

------------------

deanG

I've had my Scala's for a short time, I also have newer Klipsch stuff, so I'm not an "Old Horny". I had to find out what the Big Ol Horn stuff was all about so I bought the Scala's. Nothing being built today is even close to the Heritage line, in any respect. (IMHO) I used to think like deang, until I brought home my Scala's. Don't get me wrong new Klipsch speakers are great,but.... they don't compare to the big-ol-horns. I wouldn't trade my Scala's for a room full of RF's.

http://www.geocities.com/mpgwagon/bigolhorn.html

------------------

Yamaha RX-V620 receiver

1976 Klipsch La Scala's

Klipsch KSW12 Sub.

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch KG 3.5 rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Sharp 32" TV

This message has been edited by mpgwagon on 01-22-2002 at 12:05 AM

Ok guys I am most confused here with all of these posts saying the older heritage is better than the newer reference. I have only heard the newer klipsch and they are all great the RF-3 that I own blows so many of the other brand name speakers out of the water. But I cannot comment on the older klipsch, I wish my dealer had the older heritage so I can listen to them and compare to the reference. You guys say the older heritage blows away the newer reference series please back this up. I would really like to know how it blows them away; as in what are the sonic differences between the heritage and reference series. I have never heard the older series so you guys that have heard both of these style of speakers please comment on what exactly is the sonic differences I am very curious.

This message has been edited by JLL on 01-21-2002 at 02:11 AM

CornBreadWalls are better than the RF-7's! LOL

MUA HA HA HA sureeeeee are

And what is next a Mr Corn Bread will claim his BreadInWalls are superior to Dynaudio Contour 3.3's just because a Walkman can drive them!

Give me a break

There will always be some who say "THEY JUST DONT MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USED TO"

Well BS,speakers have improved,amps have and audio quality has improved alot too.Those who cant hear this probably are dreamers who live in a time bubble.

Sure today most new Klipsch speakers tend to claim a lower end market segment.The RF-7's are very good speakers and I would not trade them for CornBreadWalls.

And to add insult to injuty I would not trade my Dynaudio Contours for ten(yes 10) pairs of CornBreadWalls.

cwm27.gif

Now lets see how many CornBread owners show up to attempt to flame me with fantasy claims. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ears - Not a Heritage guy?!

Surely a pair of used Belle(s) or LaScala(s) would pound the RF-7(s) into the groundcwm2.gif

Look forward to check out the RF-7s this summer.

------------------

(crap)

I have not heard the RF7's but I did have RF3's before I had my Cornwalls. In my room with my amps blah blah the "Cornbreadwalls" blew away the RF3's.

Now Mr. Ears I got my Cornwalls for $500. A new pair of RF7's are around what $2K+? Even the Cornwalls that recently went for $1850 are still less than a pair of RF7's. For the price difference I would much rather have the the better sounding Cornwalls than any newer Klipsch product.

Heritage Klipsch rocks man. End of storycwm30.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

It is quite evident that TheEAR has never heard a pair of Cornwalls with quality amplification (btw Ear, this is not a post about the Dynaudios, it is about RF-7's). If he had, he wouldn't be writing such drivel. Do yourself a favor Ear and go hear a pair. Then come back and tell us what you think. Until then, try and stay on the same page with us...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

I've never had any problems w/ my corns, that was their fault, since i bought them new 18 yrs ago. & that includes some extremely hard driving w/ not real high end amps. f.e., my '75 ken stereo receiver cranked all the way for hours on end (man, those were some great parties Biggrin.gif).

only problem was when the ken finally blew a few capacitors at full volume a few years back, it took both of the corns woofs w/ it. but new woofs & back going strong Smile.gif

i've never felt the need to change crossovers or any other mods on my corns, except cosmetic - refinishing in cherry & recovering the grills in new black cloth.

jmo, but the corns have a smoother, more refined sound than even the reference or klf that i also own. i use

a C7 for a rear center between them & the dif is subtle but obvious. and yes, i have heard rf-7 driven by fine

mac & other amps quite a few times now.

jmo, but the corns have the more custom built sound & workmanship. they are the real klipsch sound the co. was built on, whereas the rf-7 are the mass market solution to best replicate the klipsch of old.

& ears, if the cornwall were rebuilt today w/ the same quality & craftsmanship, i believe the klipsch guys themselves estimated their price would be $4000/pair. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Well, I've not yet had an open opportunity to publicly disagree with The Ears, but there's a first time for everything!

I'll put Corn - "Bread" - Walls up against just about anything out there for under $3000. Unless it is a larger Heritage, or a select few other horns that I like - I'll keep the Cornwalls. I've heard the RF-7s too, and while I do believe that they are Klipsch's best offering outside the Heritage line, they just don't stack up to my ear. I'm into the Heritage horn sound, and speakers are "personal preference" - so I do not expect to change "The Ears" mind. That said Rob, you owe it to yourself to give them BOTH a listen and see how they stack up to your ear. Don't buy RF-7s until you have listened to both the Cornwalls and the RF-7s. Then, let your ears be your guide.

Plus, you CAN get Cornwalls for less than that $1850 set that went on ebay a week or so ago...($1200/pr is still very doable on the open market,) but they were still worth it!

I love big Heritage speakers in HT as well. If you have the room, you need not let some fast talking salesman tell you that Heritage speakers are not suitable for HT!

So, to answer your question: Would I trade in my Cornwalls for a pair of RF-7s? When Hell freezes overcwm16.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

Take it easy folks

Cornwalls are fantastic sounding speakers,if they were not top notch Mobile and company would not use them.If old speakers sell for almost two grand its not for nothing.

I will hear them,I know a tube fanatic who has a pair of the reverred CornBreadWalls.I will bring some of my most snooty audiophile CD's and I will listen.

Now its time to eat my corn bread

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I just have to say it...CornHoleWalls. I will always remember Zappa as the man who taught me the word cornhole.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

'Cream corn from Davis's socket'

Geuss that band.

Picked up Lustmord 'Where the Dark stars hang'

BTW.

Haven't received it yet, but am curious

to what this 'Dark Ambient' is all about.

I heard a couple MP3's, nuthin' to get a

feel for the album though.

At the way Cornwalls are going, you can call

them 'The bend over and grab your ankles walls.'

THANX!

Good to read that theears is going to test the "heritage sound" for the first time.

I honestly think he will be impressed.

For me, the real "differentiator" between the old Heritage's and the new Reference's is the Mid Horn.

I just love the sound it makes. Coupled with a revealing amplifier it can bring details I have yet to hear with any other set of speakers.

I had a girlfriend once that was always flapping her lips and never made much sense. She moved to Montreal some time ago. Could it be that she is "TheEars". No can't be (she could spell). Change your handle to TheMouth(s) now TheMouths. Smile.gif

Trade my Cornwalls for mass made particle board and glue??? Sure, as soon as a pig flies out of my ***. Smile.gif

Hey there Stu-pidAss, take it easy on the Ears. At least his unique outlook is enjoyable to read, unlike others.

My intent, which is shared by most posters here, was to draw out a good debate on these two well-liked and well-respected lines of speakers - not to draw out personal attacks!!!

I might find your comments more welcoming on other BBs; Get the hint?

------------------

(crap)

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 01-23-2002 at 04:04 PM

First rule in buying speakers: Never buy an ugly speaker.

2nd rule: Speakers should sound musical, not sound like stage gear.

mpgwagon said: "I've had my Scala's for a short time, I also have newer Klipsch stuff, so I'm not an "Old Horny". I had to find out what the Big Ol Horn stuff was all about so I bought the Scala's. Nothing being built today is even close to the Heritage."

This is nice. However, not everyone likes the sound of exponential horns. Evidently this is very hard for many of you to accept. Heritage certainly has a better build quality - but MDF and veneer looks very nice and seems to work just fine. I don't expect my RF7's to fall apart anytime in the near future.

Boa12 said: "jmo, but the corns have a smoother, more refined sound than even the reference or klf that i also own."

I don't know what Reference product you own, but it does not surprise me that the Cornwalls would sound smoother than KLF's. KLF's are earbleeders.

Boa12 also said: "I have heard rf-7 driven by fine

mac & other amps quite a few times now...but the corns have the more custom built sound & workmanship."

The latter statement does not make any sense to me.

"...they are the real klipsch sound the co. was built on, whereas the rf-7 are the mass market solution to best replicate the klipsch of old."

On the contrary, Klipsch is not attempting to replicate the Klipsch of old. I don't know how to say this except to say it. The RF7 has a 'high end' sound, Heritage does not. It is obvious what Klipsch is doing and I for one am grateful.

Mike said: "It is quite evident that TheEAR has never heard a pair of Cornwalls with quality amplification..."

This is what we always hear when it comes to Heritage - that you have to hear it with 'quality' amplification. This usually means some type of 2 channel only tube gear. I guess it doesn't matter that this isn't everybody's cup of tea. The Reference stuff however - sounds good being driven by just about anything.

eq_shadimar said: "I have not heard the RF7's but I did have RF3's before I had my Cornwalls. In my room with my amps blah blah the "Cornbreadwalls" blew away the RF3's."

I guess so. However, the RF3's are not RF7's. Incidently - The RF7's also blow away the RF3's.

At any rate: Exponential horns simply sound aweful to me. All you Heritage folks singing the praises of Heritage does not change the fact that I think they sound like sandpaper.

Thankyou, but I'll take my Klipsch Copper Coned Crap with glued particle board over a set of ear bleeders.

------------------

deanG

Easy Rob. The Ears is capable of defending himself. I'm sure he'll take what I said with a grain of salt. Calling Corwalls CornBreadWalls without even hearing them deserves a good flaming.

Believe me it's not the first time he's got flamed and it probably won't be the last. Having said that he makes a good, no great, contibution to the board. 1500+ posts says it all.

In fairness to the new line of Klipsch they are fine speakers in their own right. Just not the "quality" of the Heritage line. Time will prove this as Heritage prices continue to rise and 20 years from now where will the new lines be? Will they elicit the passion of the Heritage line?

No offence ears. I'm looking forward to your report after listening to well set up pair of Cornwalls. Please give us the deatils on amplification and music source along with the year of manufacture. The crossovers vary as do the drivers according to the year built.

Regards,

Stu