TRADE A PAIR OF RF-7s FOR CORNWALLS??

RobCurran

The old stuff will eventually fall apart and quit working while the new lines continue to get better and better as they continue to move forward incorporating the newer technologies.

With all the hype - it's surprising to me that no one has addressed the fact that as of late it seems as if everyone in the country is dumping their Heritage stuff on Ebay.

I mean, if this stuff is so fantastic why are people getting rid of it.

OTOH - In the last 6 months I have seen 1 pair of RB5's on AudiogoN and have never seen a set of RF7's.

------------------

deanG

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New technologies? What new technologies? You mean new catch phrases. Air is moved to make sound and this will never change.

I saw a recent purchase of Heitage klipsch from 1959. They are in perfect working order and far from falling apart. Where will the new line be in say 40 or 50 years? They will, for the most part, almost certainly be landfill material. The flagship Klipschorn dates back to the 50's or earlier and remains basically unchanged. They are still considered one of the best speakers on the market regardless of price. Now that's quality! They will sound poor when the laws of physics change.

As for the new line of Klipsch not being readily available on bulletin boards? The heritage lines out number them by a very very wide margin.

Again the new lines are fine speakers but the standards have changed over the decades. There is no question about that.

That anyone can state that the sound from one type of speaker is better than another is....well....kind of....ridiculous. Humorous and damn fine entertainment, but ridiculous none the less. I thought it was all a matter of preference?

For instance, I prefer the heritage sound over the 'fake pseudo electronic enhanced' 'excessive high hat effect' of a set of RF7's. That's just my ear's interpretation of the sonic charicteristics of the new breed of Klipsch sound, and in no way is meant to deride, chastise, pass judgement or dog another's lack of musical taste.

Far be it for me to point out that you can get the same 'high end' sound by simply detuning your tuner slightly off the channel. All the 'high end fuzz' you ever need right there.

Furthermore, a lesser man, with intentions on inciting friction upon this noble board would perhaps point out that a pair of....ahem....BOSE speakers look to be made of the same MDF/glue scheme.....

Yes, yes....in the final analysis, who am I to proclaim that heritage is better than current? Sooner or later those that are not true believers will at first become closet heritage fans. Then, as time passes and you grow out of this phase you're stuck in....you too will realize that the 'high end' sound you so crave has another name: COLORATION. Yes friends, with maturity comes clarity. Clarity of vision that you will come to understand requires clarity of sound. Then you will be ready to discover the uncharted worlds of true sound and will realize that there is only one true sound....and that thy name is Heritage. Crystal clear. Unpolluted. Natural. Without color. Adds nothing, takes nothing. Zero calories. As sound is live.

Flame away if you must. Disagree as you will. But you cannot contest that it is the natural clarity offered by the heritage line that sets it apart from all other speakers. Recall, not 'better', just unequaled 'real'.

------------------

Ed

deang, i like stu don't want to start another war that's really about personal pref. i was of course stating my pref & opinion.

i maybe should have said i think the rf-7 sound great, just dif from cornwalls and klf. i think you grouped both of these into "earbleeders". i think the klf are brighter than the cornwalls & rf-7 & rf-3, but i still prefer the klf-30 over the rf-7 because for me the slam

factor more than makes up for the loud/clear highs.

the more custom built sound quality i referred to /w the corns relates to what i believe to be a smoother overall sound from the tweet & mid horns than i get from my rf-3 & klf-30, & also from my listenings to the rf-7.

but that comes from 18 yrs of listening to my corns w/ various amps & is jmo. the rf-7 are great speaks & i could see/hear how they could be called more revealing & less bright than the corns, though that can be a delicate balance.

they're all good. this is just a preference debate. sorry to step on any toes, but i was just playing along w/ ears' statements. i'll probably get rf-7 & make the rf-3 rears in the listenin lounge someday to have all the bases covered Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Stu Pidass said: "New technologies? What new technologies?

You're serious aren't you?

You then said: "Air is moved to make sound and this will never change."

I guess we will leave out the part about electrical current creating mechanical motion and everything that entails. Different driver designs, different materials utilized and the associated properties of them, etc, etc.

Continuing on: "I saw a recent purchase of Heritage klipsch from 1959. They are in perfect working order and far from falling apart. Where will the new line be in say 40 or 50 years? They will, for the most part, almost certainly be landfill material."

I guess that means we never see vintage Advents, AR's, or Bose? These are all MDF designs and I run across them regularly. Anything will last if it is not abused and taken care of. What is the mystic here?

Finally: "As for the new line of Klipsch not being readily available on bulletin boards? The heritage lines out number them by a very very wide margin."

Which is the mass market product? I forget.

"Again the new lines are fine speakers but the standards have changed over the decades. There is no question about that."

I thought it was just air being moved around Smile.gif

Edwarde: Whatever. I'm too tired and annoyed to deal with your comments in an intelligent manner. I would just like to point out that 99% of everything that has ever been on the market or is on the market currently is built with MDF and glue. Just because something is built with plywood and screws doesn't mean it is going to sound good. What the hell kind of logic is that?

"....and that thy name is Heritage. Crystal clear. Unpolluted. Natural. Without color. Adds nothing, takes nothing. Zero calories. As sound is live."

Screech, Squawk, Honk - may I have your attention please.

no color ...please

------------------

deanG

Stupid @$$,

I am so hurt Stupid told me I cant spell! cwm27.gif

Get your carcass down to Montreal and you will see if I am your girlfriend.After you will check up at the General hospital.

On a better note...

Yes CornBreadWalls are good speakers heard some today,powered by a Jolida tube amp and El Cheapo NAD CD player.They have soul,would I buy CornBreadWalls? YES if they looked a bit better and less like stage speakers.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Good to see you liked them theears, having as you do, so much expensive gear, is fine to know that you found that the "old Heritage sound" is still good.

What do you think about the mid horn? I feel that the detailed sound those speakers make is in part due to the work of this driver.

And more importantly, do you think that the new RF-7's sounds more or less than the old Cornwall's? if no, where do you note the differences?

Reading a pair of trained ears is always good. ;-)

This message has been edited by Manuel on 01-23-2002 at 09:56 PM

TheEars. Great review on the CornBreadWalls. "They have Soul" You might consider a career in writing for an stereo publication. Just kidding (couldn't resist, sorry).

Sorry if I stepped, no jumped, on your toes (you spelt thing just fyne. Smile.gif) Threats of physical violence? Good come back. That's great Smile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gif The pen REALLY is mightier than the sword.

Your a real "in your face" kind of poster and I like that. Keep it up.

Regards,

Stu

Deang.

Maybe you or someone else can enlighten me on new speaker "technologies". Yes they use "free range" "oxygen free" copper wire. Cool catch phrase but they're really reaching for something here. Is there really any new way of creating sound? The basic mechanics remain unchanged. We've had dome tweeters, ribbon tweeters and electrostatic for years. Of course there's the folded horn (what am I missing?). But what's really ground breaking new? I'm not aware of anything. Can someone please shed some light?

The heritage line has been produced since the 50's. That MIGHT be the reason they out number the new line which has been out since when? Last year was it?

I'm sure there will be many Bose speakers (yuk) and other more worthy brands that with proper care will last several decades. Klipsch Heritage are not the only worthy speaker but they are one of the most saught after for a reason. Prices are more than they were new for a reason.

The new Klipsch line is very very good indeed. Times have changed and mass production is simply a reality of todays shareholder profit driven world (not that PWK didn't want to make a profit). It's just that he made the decisions not a board of directors who answered to greedy shareholders.

Klipsch could go back to quality enclosures and handrubbed finished but the product would simply be price prohibitive for the majority of consumers. They've simply done what was necessary to survive and I can't blame them for that.

dewang wrote:

Edwarde: Whatever. I'm too tired and annoyed to deal with your comments in an intelligent manner. I would just like to point out that 99% of everything that has ever been on the market or is on the market currently is built with MDF and glue. Just because something is built with plywood and screws doesn't mean it is going to sound good. What the hell kind of logic is that?

Whoa! Ease up man! A thousand pardons if differing views lead to 'tired and annoyed'. I've heard that listening to those new fangled RF's can be fatiguing, even leading to irritability but jeez......might I suggest a shot and a brewski? Hair trigger defense mechanism, eh?

Agreed. You must have been tired. Missed the Bose analogy altogether. I was referring to the longevity of MDF & glue, not the sound qualities threrof.

All kidding aside, I've had occasion to listen to a set of RF7's and was duly impressed. Very nice sound indeed. My personal preference for the big crates does not cloud my objectivity. Hopefully, my good natured ribbing has not ruffled your plumage too much and was taken in the spirit it was intended!

------------------

Ed

It sucks when I miss my meds Smile.gif

Stu pidass - lighter yet stiffer materials, built at tighter tolerances (consistently) constitutes 'new technologies'.

Say what you will - but the Reference drivers kick ***. Clear, open, and fast, yet warm and liquid.

Edwarde - it's you Heritage bigots that give us Reference bigots the hair trigger. Should we just lay down every time one of you starts slamming Reference.

Something to think about: You should thank God for Reference - because it is the sales of Reference which will allow Klipsch to resurrect your beloved earbleeders Smile.gif

------------------

deanG

quote:

Originally posted by TheEAR:

This one is damn good...

:Something to think about: You should thank God for Reference - because it is the sales of Reference which will allow Klipsch to resurrect your beloved earbleeders"

cwm27.gif

Take cover the flame wars start anew

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Good analogy. Reference speakers are to Klipsch what the K-Car was to Chrysler. Well.........maybe not. Smile.gif

HERITAGE BIGOTS???? Well, that's a rather unflattering accusation....I would prefer to think of it as 'Heritage supporters'. 'Lay down'?? I would much rather you all 'roll over and pee.....' Smile.gif

quote:

:Something to think about: You should thank God for Reference - because it is the sales of Reference which will allow Klipsch to resurrect your beloved earbleeders"

Hmmmm.....something else to think about: YOU should thank god for Heritage - because without the overwhelming half century success of Heritage, there would be no 'Klipsch' left to create your beloved 'screechboxes' cwm19.gif

------------------

Ed

Rob,

To answer your original question: I would get a used pair of Cornwall I's (AlNiCo, Paper cones, Metal Horns, etc) and try them out. Pay attention to the microdynamics (the breath of the singer while the drummer is slamming the hell out of the bass). See which speaker can do it. The main problem with speakers is TIM (transient intermodulation distortion). This masks quiet sounds during loud passages. Also, play some very dynamic music like KODO Drum "music" at low levels. You should feel the drum beat on your face even at low volumes. If not, they suffer from a lack of dynamics (linearity).

If you don't like the Cornwalls you can always polish them up a little, get some really good pictures of them and sell them for MORE THAN YOU PAYED FOR THEM on Ebay! You might even try out the laScala -- about the same size and price as Cornwalls.

Hope this helps.

Ed