What's the ultimate system for my home theatre?

rogert

RogerT,

One thought I would give you; I own a highly customized V-Max motorcycle and belong to the VMOA or V-Max Owners Association. We have members all over the world and in Europe as well. Anyhow, the point I wanted to make is that we get on a computer forum like this and chat on a daily basis or a second tech site. Alot of members live in Canada and routinely buy items from other members in the United States, and they have to pay a tarrif to bring stuff into Canada. They get out of the Tarrif by prepaying for the item and having the shipper double box the item for them and write "gift" with a big felt marker on the outside of the box for them. I don't know for sure if it will work for you in your country, but they don't or shouldn't know if you have relatives in the states. Buying from a retailer, you may be able to talk them into it over the phone, or I would research your friends to find out if anyone has family living in or visiting the states. Just a thought....

Roger

The house is a passive house (no heating system other than the sun and body warmth) built with thermal clay blocks,

Very intresting... What is the temp range where you are?

As far as in-wall making the room bigger, there is also on-wall, still a bigger room. Not sure how much of an issue that is for you. There is alot of room lost by putting a set of rf-63's or 83's as far from the walls as they should be.

I wonder how sound reacts to your clay blocks. are they a "hard smooth surface" or will they absorb some?

would it matter that i don't own but 2 musical dvds (Cast in Bronze, Blue Man Group)? i am mainly a movie guy. i also want the hdmi hookups. i felt for the money the pioneer was the better choice. the seperates that have hdmi are a little out of the price range for me.

roger, with that small of a room why not give the RF-52 pkg a look. does anyone agree?

as far as the receiver goes, i wouldn't know, i chose mine on cost and what i think i would notice. i am sure a better seperate would be better, but i am not willing to spend 4k more.

subs, try SVS, Elemental Designs, or Epik. (that information is not from me, i asked the same question in another post and that is what i was told).

ouch, just drafted a major response to everyone and got a time out error!

summarising:

1. Colterphoto states 3000 ft3 as optimum for THX system, I have 1500 ft3 so that doesn't look so good. I'll call him direct and ask advice.

2. Reboxing to avoid VAT and duties works really well, but for this quantity of stuff it would be unusual for customs not to get suspicious, or they would at least want the sender to list the contents. It's risky. Better is to find a reseller willing to put a lower price on the paperwork, but again, this is assuming the customs doesn't think to check the prices on the net.

3. Temp range here is -5 to +35 degrees centigrade (I'll let you convert to olde worlde units ;) I could mount the speakers on the wall without any problem and would have to do that for the rear surround speakers anyway. Front speakers can be floor standing or wall mounted. The walls are 40cm thick and plastered with cement/lime finished in pure lime skim, then painted with eco clay paint. I'm expecting pleasant accoustics, however was also expecting I will need a few accoustic panels to balance the sound.

4. RF52's, ok will take a look. I wish there were a Klipsch dealer here (Slovenia). I found a guy who will bring kit to the house so we can audition different stuff, but he doesn't have any Klipsch. It was reading about the THX system that originally turned me on to High End HT, however, we do have some good stuff here in Europe I'm told.

Thanks again for all the comments ;)

edit to add:

Found a dealer in Germany who can supply the THX 5.1 for 5k Euro, that's around $7,500, so price is coming down all the time ;)

He recommends this receiver to go with it and says it's the best sound he's heard for the money:

Onkyo TX-NR 905 http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/product_en_2008_5875718.html

not giving advice on the receiver, but wow it looks good! how much for that bad boy?

if you are seriouss about the rf-52 pkg you can call hi fi heaven and they may be able to ship it to you. their web address is www.hifiheaven.net. ask for greg, he's very helpful. they also have the thx ultra 2's.

wish you all the luck!

Price he quoted me for the receiver is 1640 Euro, which is about $2500 US

I think I'll go for the THX now that I found a really good price. Apparently this guy has fitted them in smaller rooms and says they still sound awesome.

• Moderators

Would be happy to post a couple of pix but i can't find a way to upload them

Hit reply, then click on the "Options" tab and you will see a place to attach an image. You can only attach one image per reply.

Yep.

They are honeycomb, quite fragile until put together.

They are also machined top and bottom to 1mm tolerance, so we use a thin bed glue not mortar and they have dry interlock edges. Very cool ;)

It's not the best angle for a photo, but I haven't taken many photos since we did the rendering, and this was the best one I could find.

R

• 1 month later...

Hi again everyone

I am getting closer to moving into the house and kitting out the HT

I found a great dealer in Germany with good prices and am going for the THX Ultra2 5.1 with a Panasonic PT Ae2000U projector. Now I need a screen to match so am asking for recomendations. If I can build a house then I think I can build a frame ;) so screen material should be enough. The room has no windows and virtually no ambient light, projector is LCD and has 1500 lumens and 16000:1 contrast. I can manage a projection size of 120" to 150" with the throw available.

I saw a thread on smx screen material and am looking into that.

Fire away ;)

I think you made a good choice going with the THX system. This is one of my favorites, ( and I designed Ref IV so that is no BS). If you had more room I would have recommended the RF-63 or 84 with a RC-64 but they take up a lot of floor space.

Two things you might want to think about.

Light - How much light control do you have? Can you blacken the room to theater level? If not you may have to shoot a brighter picture which still will not allow for optimum contrast or black level. This will define your lumens requirement for your projector. It look like you have this area covered well.

Money - Do you want to save money now and consider an upgrade later? If so you can paint on the wall a framed out area with flat white ceiling paint. It works great but you don't get any gain compared to a screen.

• Moderators

Given that you designed the Ref IV series would you say that the RF-84 is one better than the RF-83?

Ah man! And I already bought my RF-83's. Why are you guys keeping the RF-84's a secret? I did some searching on the Klipsch website and found them. They look awesome! The specs said they can handle 500 - 2000 watts!