The best my Heresy's have ever sounded

I've had an incomplete project here for 18 months or so. Thanks to Tony Reed for actually doing the work.

This is a pair of raw birch Heresy's of mid 70's vintage. In fact, a few years ago HDBRBuilder was looking at them and from the manufacture date it was even possible that he had built them.

I've had the CT-125 tweeters in them for some time along with BEC type E crossovers with 4500hz mod. Tony dropped in a pair of K-28 woofers I've had around here waiting to be put in service.

Driving them with a nice Fisher 500B. All I can say is wow. The sound is great. The best I've ever heard them.

I've had the CT-125 tweeters in them for some time along with BEC type E crossovers with 4500hz mod. Tony dropped in a pair of K-28 woofers I've had around here waiting to be put in service.

How do the K-28 compare to the K-22?

Harry

I find the K-28 to be a bit cleaner than the K-24. I bought the upgrade kit, HII->HIII and the improvement is really noticable, it was worth $27 a side, the cabs are great and in spite of the gf's protests, they will get another 20+ years....

The whole package including the K-57, K-103 and the new crossover really gave them a new life, although as HII's they shared no peer to any speaker of their size and price. The new titanium drivers really do wonders as doesthe increaed magnet size of the tweeters.

Harry,

The K-28 is a more robust woofer. As I remember (this is in itself a disclaimer) the K-28 is 2db more efficient and better below 200hz (or something like that). Me quoting any technical stuff is dangerous and confirmation from someone who actually knows is highly recommended.

The result is a noticeable improvement to my ears. It doesn't turn Heresy bass into CW bass, but it sounds nice.

Another "convert". The 28's with the E/4500 and Bob's tweeters really do bring the old H-I's back to life. Eventually, try a pair of the D250X's for the mids and see what you think. I have moved the "tricked out" oak H-I's out of the man cave and put them in the wall of "boudoir" for my wife. Interestingly, because she watches "soap channel" with the HT AVR, they really shine in the voice freq ranges at low volumes.

agreed. The CT-125 tweeter is killer and a bang for the buck champ.

Using that tweeter in my Khorns with a type A crossed at 4500hz was the best my Khorns ever sounded. The K55 is much better behaved not expected to poop out at 6000 hz.

I think Tony Reed is using the D250X in a pair of Heresys he's just built from scratch.

Dee:

I think there is something to be said for the kind of simplicity of your current setup: greatly reduced distance between stages, less IC and related capacitance effects, that sort of thing. It seems there are a greater number of very good quality receivers and integrated amps being sold these days by modern companies, too.

I also like the 4,000Hz crossover I'm using with the Klipschorns and Bob's tweeters.

Erik

K103 is the tweeter used in the H III and CW III. It does not have the output to match the LS or KH, but it has aTitanium diaphragm give great top end. It's basically the KP-792 TI pro tweeter without the ferrofluid. Tractrix horn design also.