Thorens TD 124 in Stereophile

joshnich

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of Stereophile I just spent most of the weekend with Bob Deutch from the same.

He was over in Greece on holiday and attended the ACA 10th aniversary. Quite a big do all together.

I was the main taxi driver. We had a meal on the Saturday night - a visit to a member's house and a presentation at a hotel on Sunday morning, lunch and then 2 visits to other members in the north of the city.

All that meant I started the day at about 9 in the morning and finished around 11 at night.

ENOUGH AUDIO - I cant even look at my stereo right now.....

I think he and his long suffering wife enjoyed it - but I haven't heard a word since they left - I guess they are still sleeping it off....

Hello Max, I'd be interested to read the writeup of your ACA function. Let us know when it's up on the site, will you please?

I sent another fellow your way last week, from Cypress I believe. He was looking for Ref RF83 towers, I referred him to Nick in Athens and advised him of your group.

Does anyone know how mechanically similar the TD125 is to the TD124?

No kidding!

I was. 

Jeez, Bill, we know you don't care for the Thorens, but do you have to make it your mission to poopoo the table? Like the Garrard 301, the costs to manufacture these older idler tables would be far too high. The rumor going 'round at the time of the Garrard craziness off of the 6moons restoration site was that it would be on the order of a million in start up costs to engineer and manufacture these from scratch. Again, THAT is rumor, but if you compare the actual mechanical workings of the Garrard or Thorens to a Rega it is like comparing a fine swiss watch to a sundial.

Hello Max, I'd be interested to read the writeup of your ACA function. Let us know when it's up on the site, will you please?

I sent another fellow your way last week, from Cypress I believe. He was looking for Ref RF83 towers, I referred him to Nick in Athens and advised him of your group.

Does anyone know how mechanically similar the TD125 is to the TD124?

Michael, I've never seen the 125 in person, but I believe they are totally different animals.

No kidding!

I was.

Jeez, Bill, we know you don't care for the Thorens, but do you have to make it your mission to poopoo the table? Like the Garrard 301, the costs to manufacture these older idler tables would be far too high. The rumor going 'round at the time of the Garrard craziness off of the 6moons restoration site was that it would be on the order of a million in start up costs to engineer and manufacture these from scratch. Again, THAT is rumor, but if you compare the actual mechanical workings of the Garrard or Thorens to a Rega it is like comparing a fine swiss watch to a sundial.

Yep... if I'm not mistaken a new TD-124 in 1957 was somewhere in the vicinity of $225... and you still needed a plinth, tonearm and cartridge. Mind you, a good used car could be had for the same money then.

Mike

They are not as versatile as the Technics players for DJing I am guessing. Having said that I would venture if both are setup properly the Thorens has it all over the Technics sonically (and it should based on a new price). I cannot verify that though since I can't get a local Floridian to bring one over for a comparison. I guess I could buy one myself, but I'm a bit tapped out at the moment.

Mike

Just finished a rebuild/modification on a TD 150 Mk I. What a nice turntable. I added a Rega 300 arm, a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge, dampening material and an MDF base with tenderfoot spikes. Makes a great team with my 80's vintage Klipsch Quartets.

No kidding!

I was.

Jeez, Bill, we know you don't care for the Thorens, but do you have to make it your mission to poopoo the table?

Get a grip. It's not that I don't care for Thorens, hell I have had 2 124's and have a 166.

I just get a kick out of the folks who have never owned a Technics, yet put it down with condescending remarks that only illustrate their ignorance. How you chose to "interpret" my response is truly enlightening.

Bill, what is your complaint with the Thorens 124 anyway? I know you had a pair. What did you find wrong with them? I'm curious as I've never really heard anyone complain about the 124 before.

Once again, you just don't get it. Nobody is bashing the 124.

So, Bill, how do you like your SL-P1200s? Do they sound as good as the latest CD spinners?

They have served me well for 20 years. But they DO have two shortcomings, because of their early design parameters.

1) They don't play burned CD's as well as newer players. I don't use burned CD's, so no problem.

2) The elapsed time and time left functions don't display beyond 20 selections. Not much of a problem for me. YMMV

I cannot compare the sound with the latest products. Perhaps someone who has used them, and the SL-P1200's, can?

The SL-P1300's have a Digital out, IIRC. That might provide more options in combination with newer D/A converters.

No kidding!

I was. 

Jeez, Bill, we know you don't care for the Thorens, but do you have to make it your mission to poopoo the table?

Get a grip.  It's not that I don't care for Thorens, hell I have had 2 124's and have a 166.

I just get a kick out of the folks who have never owned a Technics, yet put it down with condescending remarks that only illustrate their ignorance.  How you chose to "interpret" my response is truly enlightening. 

"Get a grip"? I'm awfully glad you are enlightened, Bill, but you are one of the rudest members in the joint. I didn't realize I was making a jump with my conclusions, given your prior posts about the Thorens. Also, the tone of your posts in this thread with respect to the 124 were, I thought, fairly obvious. Internet being what it is, however, sometimes I can make the wrong call. Whatever the case may be, your response is out of line. If I misinterpreted you, wouldn't it be more helpful to point that out and explain what you meant by your original posts? I mean, unless it was your intention to just be a jerk and add nothing constructive...

Bill, what is your complaint with the Thorens 124 anyway? I know you had a pair. What did you find wrong with them? I'm curious as I've never really heard anyone complain about the 124 before.

Once again, you just don't get it.  Nobody is bashing the 124.

Also, your post was the first to mention Technics and the ignorance of others, so I think that it is not I that isn't getting it.

Also, your post was the first to mention Technics and the ignorance of others, so I think that it is not I that isn't getting it.

In another thread, I tried to point out that the Technics 1200 was a good alternative for those seeking a turntable. What one person referred to as the "124 mafia" responded as if the sky was falling. I thought it was a little humorous. I seem to be the only person on this forum with any experience with both the 1200 and 124. Those with only 124 experience seemed the most threatened and most vocal. Typical.

In this thread, I made no mention of Technic 1200 turntables. You did.

If you wish to discuss 1200 turntable like an adult, please start a new thread.

In another thread, I tried to point out that the Technics 1200 was a good alternative for those seeking a turntable.  What one person referred to as the "124 mafia" responded as if the sky was falling.  I thought it was a little humorous.  I seem to be the only person on this forum with any experience with both the 1200 and 124.  Those with only 124 experience seemed the most threatened and most vocal.  Typical.

In this thread, I made no mention of Technic 1200 turntables.  You did.

If you wish to discuss 1200 turntable like an adult, please start a new thread.

Well here we are, way off topic. What are you talking about. Find in this thread where I mentioned the 1200. Please. Do you see it? No? That is because it does not exist.