Thorens TD 124 in Stereophile

joshnich

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Art Dudley's a fiend I tellya. Look what he says at the end of article 41:

"And look: Here come Doctor Tawny and Nurse Pepper..."

I betcha he's claiming that he's one of their "Uncles". The doddering old fool even confused Tickles name and called her Pepper.

I think I'd better have a few words with the Twins.

No attack intended. Not my style... unlike Bill's.

LMAO!!!!

Laugh all you want Bill... you know it's true. You've got the manners of a 3rd grader, except they posess a little more tact than you.

Let me know when you're ready to bring that 1200 down to Florida with you. We'll put it thru it's paces and see if it can hang with the 50 year old Thorens.

Mike

Laugh all you want Bill... you know it's true. You've got the manners of a 3rd grader, except they posess a little more tact than you.

Let me know when you're ready to bring that 1200 down to Florida with you. We'll put it thru it's paces and see if it can hang with the 50 year old Thorens.

Mike

Try buying your own.

You just can't handle the truth. My 124's served me well for about 8 years. My 1500MKII's served me well for 10 years. My 1200's are still serving me well after 20 years. Why you chose to turn this forum into a personal attack on me is obvious.

I guess you have "1200's envy!" LMAO!!! [H]

No personal attack Bill. As I said before that's not my style. I've been on this Forum for over 7 years and haven't attacked anyone yet and won't start with you, even though you would probably be a likely candidate. Enjoy your tables Bill and I will enjoy mine.

Mike

They are not as versatile as the Technics
players for DJing I am guessing. Having said that I would venture if
both are setup properly the Thorens has it all over the Technics
sonically
(and it should based on a new price). I cannot verify that
though
since I can't get a local Floridian to bring one over for a
comparison. I guess I could buy one myself, but I'm a bit tapped out at
the moment.

No attack intended. Not my style... unlike
Bill's.
I would however like to hear one of the 1200's. I have heard
nothing but good things about them.

No attack intended. Not my style... unlike Bill's.

LMAO!!!!

Laugh
all you want Bill... you know it's true. You've got the manners of a
3rd grader
, except they posess a little more tact than you.

Let
me know when you're ready to bring that 1200 down to Florida with you.
We'll put it thru it's paces and see if it can hang with the 50 year
old Thorens.

No personal attack Bill. As I said before
that's not my style.
I've been on this Forum for over 7 years and
haven't attacked anyone yet and won't start with you, even though you
would probably be a likely candidate. Enjoy your tables Bill and I will
enjoy mine.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. [<:o)]

A Technics 1200 turntable is "better" than a TD-124 much in the same way a new Toyota Camry is "better" than a 1962 Ferrari GT250 California Spyder.

We own a dozen or so Technics tables. We rent them out as DJ equipment. I can't imagine using one for playing old Blue Note monos.

A Technics 1200 turntable is "better" than a TD-124 much in the same way a new Toyota Camry is "better" than a 1962 Ferrari GT250 California Spyder.

We own a dozen or so Technics tables. We rent them out as DJ equipment. I can't imagine using one for playing old Blue Note monos.

Nobody has said the 1200 is "better" than the 124.

There have been folks who disparage the 1200, such as you.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. It would be nice, for you, if it had substance.

Since this thread title still reads "Thorens TD 124 in Sterophile" I would like to comment on that. I was very happy to see Art write about the 124. He is my favorite columnist in any magazine I have ever subscribed to. It was a well written piece and is timely for me as my 124 could use a going over. Seeing that unit painted silver really has me thinking about customizing mine a little bit as well. I'm just afraid of trying to remove the rivets on the serial plate and destroying it. Mine has good paint, but it has an annoying chip in the bottom front of the body. I have new bronze bearings waiting to go in, and silicone grommets for the motor. I've been looking for a good solution to replacing the "mushroom" rubber isolators. I started and stopped a project to build my own heavy plinth much like Mike's. I was looking for a nice piece of Mahogany,to match my Blueberry Xtreme, to trim the plinth in. Being a thrifty DIY kind of guy, i'm also thinking about building a "Ginko cloud" knock-off isolation table. All this recent hype has me thinking about working on it again. I was hoping to read a good thread on this great vintage table, unfortunately it has turned into this mess like every other TD 124 thread seems to. I always look forward to reading comments about this table from Allan, Mike L., Fini, Gary, Scott A., Kevin, or anyone else who has constructive comments about the Thorens TD 124.

Jeremy

Since this thread title still reads "Thorens TD 124 in Sterophile" I would like to comment on that. I was very happy to see Art write about the 124. He is my favorite columnist in any magazine I have ever subscribed to. It was a well written piece and is timely for me as my 124 could use a going over. Seeing that unit painted silver really has me thinking about customizing mine a little bit as well. I'm just afraid of trying to remove the rivets on the serial plate and destroying it. Mine has good paint, but it has an annoying chip in the bottom front of the body. I have new bronze bearings waiting to go in, and silicone grommets for the motor. I've been looking for a good solution to replacing the "mushroom" rubber isolators. I started and stopped a project to build my own heavy plinth much like Mike's. I was looking for a nice piece of Mahogany,to match my Blueberry Xtreme, to trim the plinth in. Being a thrifty DIY kind of guy, i'm also thinking about building a "Ginko cloud" knock-off isolation table. All this recent hype has me thinking about working on it again. I was hoping to read a good thread on this great vintage table, unfortunately it has turned into this mess like every other TD 124 thread seems to. I always look forward to reading comments about this table from Allen, Mike L., Fini, Gary, Scott A., Kevin, or anyone else who has consturctive comments about the Thorens TD 124.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I decided to stop posting in these threads exactly for the reasons you stated above. It's a shame they now end up this way because there's much good info and many folks here like you who are in the process of or thinking about rebuilding one. PM or email me anytime if you have a specific question although Allan, Scott, Mike and the others are the real experts. Also, Fini just finished a complete rebuild so I'd add him to the expert list. I just lucked into mine and all I had to do was assemble it. I will tell you that I bought a new set of mushrooms from a guy on ebay ($35ish???) and I see no need to use anything else. I wanted a table that didn't mind heavy footsteps and the standard mushrooms seem to work well for my purposes.

Good luck!

Nobody has said the 1200 is "better" than the 124.

There have been folks who disparage the 1200, such as you.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. It would be nice, for you, if it had substance.

Here's one of the few posts remaining from the other TD 124 thread that wasn't deleted by the moderators:

icon-quote.gif
garymd:

When Allan shipped mine, he sent with it a quart of Mobile 1 synthetic oil, apparantly the preferred lubricant for the 124s. I've been meaning to check the dipstick to see if I need an oil change but it still seems to spin just fine. I suppose I'll get to it soon though just to be safe. Mine takes about 5 minutes to reach the correct speed. Not uncommon for this table. Allan's takes about 15 minutes I think. My ears really can't tell the difference though

Hi, my name is Bill and I used to own a pair of TD-124's.

My 1200's don't need Mobil 1. They don't take 15 minutes, or 5 minutes, to attain accurate speed.

What can I do to bring my stuff up to snuff?

---- Bill Cain
I suppose you didn't come right out and say your 1200s are better than the 124. Sorry for making that assumption. We are all idiots here and can't read between the lines.
What can you do to bring your stuff up to snuff? Buy back one of your 124s! My point was that although it takes 5 minutes for my 124 to attain perfectly accurate speed, the speed is so close after just a couple seconds, I can't tell any difference when playing a record. You thought that was the funniest thing you ever read! And Mobile 1! Hahahahahaha. I owned a Technics SL1800 for many years before I became more serious about my analog source and I recall it came with a little tube of lubricant. Sorry but I don't see any humor in that either.
Why don't you start a Technics SL1200 thread if you want to talk turntables and stay out of the Thorens discussions since you have nothing constructive to contribute.
Love,
Gary