Thorens TD 124 in Stereophile

joshnich

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can read my profile

Ok, then. This IS a dance club system. In that case, you've got some pretty much perfect dead-on kicka$$ stuff!! I wouldn't use anything BUT a Technics in a system like yours. A TD-124 would be a ROYAL pain in the butt in this application. The comparison of the Toyota and the Ferrari doesn't really fit. This is more like a guy with a delivery route complaining that he can't fit 3 tons of merchandise in a sedan. Or the guy with the 5-ton bobtail complaining that won't fit in his one-car garage . . .

Gregg, yes I bought the plinth from Taiwan and the logo from Thailand. I asked Jakehung to round the corners on the plinth for me and he was very accomodating. It's build from 1" thick solid rosewood with superb workmanship. Considering the quality it is a real bargain, but the shipping from Taiwan is a killer.

Kudret

Looks like this thread has gotten back on track- thank goodness. I know there are many fans of the thorens 124 here I had no idea that there would be trolls on this subject! I guess you never know what possesses people. I was hoping and have now seen some interesting info regarding restoring these fine machines.

Josh

you can read my profile

Ok, then. This IS a dance club system.

Someone, in the shallow end of the gene pool, missed:

When at home..............

Dahlquist DQ-10's

Dynakit MKIII's

Haffler DH-101

Nakamichi 1000

Thorens 166 MkII w/ Grado Prestige Silver

Velodyne sub

Well I have never owned either of these tables and really have no axe to grind on way or another. I have heard both in different systems - in various stages of upgrade and change.

Chalk and cheese anyone? Totally different approaches to the same result - namely playing a record.

Being an idiot who did not have his camera with him at the time I do not have photos of the 2 highest end Technics TT's in Greece - both with linear tracking arms.

The first was with a air bearing arm - I think the Kuzma actually and the second was with my own arm - the TQI 2000 from Clearaudio.

The owner was besotted with the tables (he owned them both) and had done innumerable things to them (plinths etc.)

The results were astonishing - I would be very nervous putting my TT up against either of them.

Bottom line on these units (and other direct drives) - you will be VERY hard pushed to match the speed accuracy of these with a belt driven table. This gives them a tonal advantage. I have to spend more on a speed controller than this table originally cost to get even close to this.

The Thorens is a different animal altogether. It just plays music - but takes its own sweet time to do it. Music coming out of a Thorens can be quite intoxicating. I was at a house just a few days ago with a very old Thorens and a very new high end CD player that cost about 6000 euros ($10K?).

The Thorens simply blew the CD player out of the window. Not bad with a Denon 160 cart and a further $200 investment - directly into his old Bryston. The owner was not best pleased - he had expected his new CD player to do rather better.

Compare those tables - you are having a laugh. Best bet would be to own both and play.

I, of course, went an entirely different route....

you can read my profile

Ok, then.  This IS a dance club system. 

Someone, in the shallow end of the gene pool, missed:

Dahlquist DQ-10's

Dynakit MKIII's

Haffler DH-101

Nakamichi 1000

Velodyne sub

Honestly, Bill, what is your problem? It is pretty clear that Allan is referring to you use of the Technics which does not appear in your home system. It does, however, appear, to be in your DJ set-up per your profile. So it would seem that Allan made the correct assumption. No need to be so rude all of the time.

Kudret,

Thats a great looking plinth...I'm looking at the same one for my td124 that's on its way from overseas. I've also got a sme 3009 on its way from another source. How much was the shipping?

thanks

Charles, Shipping was $110. I guess you paid the same.

Kudret

My TD125MkII doesn't have all these issues (it doesn't take 5 minutes to start up, it didn't require a lot of setup and maintenance, it isn't a DJ turntable and it looks fantastic) and nobody fights over it.

The SME arm does have a reservoir for lubrication... what is the preferred oil for this application? I thought about getting Linn springs and all the other "hot-rod" upgrades but the dang thing just does its job and does it well. I don't know what the other stuff would buy me or if it would even be audible. Should I actually perform some real maintenance or leave well enough alone?

The TD-124 and TD-125 are completely different animals. The 124's are idler wheel tables, and the 125's are belt-driven if I'm not mistaken. The 124's are much older as well (as a rule).

Kudret, that plinth is simply gorgeous! Do you have a link where I can order the Thorens insignia?

Thanks,

Mike

you can read my profile

Ok, then. This IS a dance club system.

Someone, in the shallow end of the gene pool, missed:

Dahlquist DQ-10's

Dynakit MKIII's

Haffler DH-101

Nakamichi 1000

Velodyne sub

I was referring ONLY to your system with the 1200! But I guess you're too myopic and self-centered to understand that.

What are you hoping to gain by participating here? Just wondering . . .

Allan - The guy obviously doesn't know how to take a compliment. Maybe he's not accoustomed to receiving them and he went into shock.

Mike's right about the 124 and 125. Completely different animals.

Kudret - Love the plinth! I'd like to find a Thorens logo like that for mine also.

Mike,

I bought it from a seller in Thailand but I just realized that he is no longer on eBay with the same name. This seller ftom Thailand that fini has mentioned has the same item for sale. I had bought two actually and I think I sent the other one to Gilbert.

Kudret

Kudret, absolutely beautiful[Y] I was just out on A-gon admiring this one http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?anlgtabl&1217186283[;)]

Mr. Cain, stereo know-it-all with rude manners! You need to change the last line of your sig to all BS[:D]

§ Technics SL-1200’s
§ Technics SL-P1200’s
§ Bozak 10-2DL
§ Rane 2016 / xp2016
§ dbx DriveRack’s
§ Crown Macrotech 600 / 1200 / 2400 / 3600vz
§ EAW FR253’s full range w/ 2405’s / SB180’s
§ Klipsch LSI-BG splits
§ Klipsch HI’s / KP-115SW’s
§ No B*S*

You obviously think your cute but you're snot[A] Come back and see us when you garner yourself some self esteem to respect yourself; then you might learn to respect others but I'm sure not planning on holding my breath[li]

Bill, why did you post to this thread in the first place? Back on track, for an interesting discussion of the early Thorens tables, especially the 124 and 125, see Dr. Stefano Pasani's article in Sound Practices Volume 17. Some fun facts: The original 124 was produced from 1957 - 65 and cost $99.95 with the MKII in production from 66 - 68. In 1969 the 125 debuted at $280 ($385 with an Ortofon arm) which was $100 more than the Empire 398, another cult fave.