Thorens TD 124 in Stereophile

joshnich

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like rim drive tables. Maybe it's the engineer in me that digs sophisticated mechanicals. I'd also love to add a Garrard 301 or 401 to my collection. My dream rim drive table is pictured below, but until I strike it rich or at least until the kids move out, i'll have to remain a member of the infamous "124 mafia."

Jeremy

post-17815-1381937441235_thumb.jpg

Jeremy,

I'll go out on a limb right now and say a properly setup TD-124 will sound better than that Super Scout. I can't tell you how many threads I have read on the Asylum where people have replaced their mega dollar belt drives with idler wheel tables (Lenco, Garrard and Thorens) and said they much prefer the idler wheel tables. YMMV of course.

Jeremy,

I'll go out on a limb right now and say a properly setup TD-124 will sound better than that Super Scout. I can't tell you how many threads I have read on the Asylum where people have replaced their mega dollar belt drives with idler wheel tables (Lenco, Garrard and Thorens) and said they much prefer the idler wheel tables. YMMV of course.

What are the Lenco Garrard and Thorens tables to be on the look out for? I have an old Gerrard in a console but I doubt it is valuable.

Here is one person's view (person runs a td 160).

For example: 145,146,147,165,166 & all that bollox are crappy budget decks, give the company a bad name...

124 is a good vintage deck but not the quietest of units.

for example: 150,160,125,126 are all good decks but as the motor unit versions..The versions with integral arm & lift, although the arms sound ok are best left alone in my view...

Please note these new fangled Thorens decks are not of the same...

A Technics 1200 turntable is "better" than a TD-124 much in the same way a new Toyota Camry is "better" than a 1962 Ferrari GT250 California Spyder.

We own a dozen or so Technics tables. We rent them out as DJ equipment. I can't imagine using one for playing old Blue Note monos.

Very interesting analogy Allan. There are lots of avenues for expansion on that thought. In an attempt to keep within the subject, here's one of my takes. All of us here are into this hobby in varying degrees. Some may want a camry tt for its reliability and functionality for getting the desired job done. Others may want the "italian model" with its sensuous pleasures, performance, and love of engineering. Not everyone wants to refurbish, rebuild, rehab, make plinths, armboards, etc. That's why not everyone wants to own a good example of an Italian car. Especially a vintage one. the gt250 cali spyder is beautiful, sounds awesome, and is fun with panache. Compared to a modern car, its 240 horses is not all that spectacular, as well as the inherent body flex of an old convertible design. An italian car owner knows that once you get it all sorted out, then religiously or even obsessively maintain it, it's very reliable and a joy to use. You can't imagine why anyone would not want to own one! You can't imagine most any drive in a camry.

But we all have finite time and funds to devote to certain hobbies/passions. If you drive italian cars and are really into it, you might not want to fool with a fancy vintage german turntable. The drive was exciting enough, now lets just relax and listen to your favorite music. Of course the opposite applies if you are into pick-up trucks for transportation, and double armed vintage turntables for blue note monos and such. Neither approach is necessarily wrong, be it cars or turntables. Anyway, just one tangent of application to your analogy.

Jeremy,

I think I'm with Mike on this one as I do like that rim drive Master Scout but after seeing tables refurbed like Kuret's the vitage 124 has more appeal to me! My dream table Capo is the Basis 2800/Vector/Helikon[:o] Dream on Kaiser[:'(]

Those 124 bargains are out ther, Kaister! I got mine (with the Ortofon RS-212 arm, no less) for $200! Of course, I put about $150 doing the royal refurb (and I still have to build my plinth...out of tigerwood...from the dump for 2 bucks...).

fini the penny pincher!

This Web site:

http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_dept_.htm

has in-depth information on Thorens tables. You should check it out.

I have the TD 125 Mk I and Mk II, and they are fine tables, but are rather different from the TD 124. I believe the TD 124 has a much heavier platter, is driven by an idler wheel whereas the TD 125 is belt driven, has an electronic speed control. Both are good, solidly built tables.

I have never heard a direct comparison between them sonically. Perhaps someone on this forum who has can inform us about that?

George

This is my 2-armed TD124. Rear arm is a 12" Ikeda with a stereo SPU GT the side arm is an SME 3012 with a mono SPU that runs through Jorgen Shou transformers. It's perfect for my needs. I will never own another turntable for my primary system. Never.

twoarm2.jpg

This is my 2-armed TD124. Rear arm is a 12" Ikeda with a stereo SPU GT the side arm is an SME 3012 with a mono SPU that runs through Jorgen Shou transformers. It's perfect for my needs. I will never own another turntable for my primary system. Never.

twoarm2.jpg

But someday you'd love to own a nice plastic table, wouldn't you? :)

BTW - Is that the same SPU I have on my table or do you have the one that ONLY plays monos? I can't remember.

Gary--

Mine is the true mono cartridge--the cantilever moves in one plane only and it will DESTROY a stereo record if you try to play one with it! Yours is a stereo cartridge wired in mono and can be used to play stereo records in mono. I would have gone with the one you have if I had but one tonearm!

twoarm2.jpg

Very nice table Allan, love the Ikeda and arm board. Is that all custom on the rear arm/mount?

Can't wait to see your finished product Gregg, I'm not cheap just broke 99.9% of the time[:'(]