Onkyo TX-SR805 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH

InVeNtOr

okay, can anyone that owns these two items give me some imput. i have searched around, read posts, called tech support, and still don't know which one would be better in a HT set up. keep that in mind, i am not a music listener, i only own 2 musical dvd's. from what i understand the 805 doesn't have an upscaler for video and the pioneer does. the catch is, if you use a hdmi connector, it doesn't matter, which is what i will be using. the pioneer says it has some type of process for room calibration, the Onkyo doesn't mention what they have. the biggest spec that i would think make a big deal is the THD. the onkyo is .05 and pioneer is .09. the funny thing is i asked the onkyo tech guy if it mattered and he said you would only be able to tell with some type of digital meter. (forgot what it was). he said anything that close you won't be able to hear unless you have really good speakers. i told him i would have RF-82's but he really didn't have an answer for that. i can get the onkyo cheaper, but i do plan on buying the new pioneer elite blu-ray player. when i called pioneer they said it will be out in June and it should start at around $800. i am the type that likes to keep things matching but i also want the best i can afford.

i am open to other receivers too. the price point on the pioneer is $850 so i would like to stay at that price or lower. i want HDMI connections, i need at least 3 in and 1 out. the receiver needs to be 7.1. i am looking for something that will sound great, have plenty of power, the ability to hook up an amp later, and that is a good product that will last.

thanks to all

Onkyo TX-SR805

Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH

I am into music but I went with Pioneer for It's Video capabilities. Digital Standard Definition throught the Pioneer video processor comes close to High Def, close enough to watch any way. I had stopped watching Standard Def unless it was something I really wanted to watch before I had Digital Standard Def and Pioneer. I only have 6 speakers including the sub woofer, 5.1 sound is very good.

Calibration system works great and is fairly easy to use.

For 2 channel stereo I might purchase a vacuum tube pre-amp but for now the Pioneer is good.

Currently I have an Adcom 5400 amp hooked up to the front L & R channels this makes a big differance when listening at lower volumes, more bass, and sounds better at all volumes.

If converting stardard def is not a big deal and you are only into movies I would save the dollars and go with the 805.

Try not to get lost on "specs"get the features you want for the amount you budget.I have an 805,for HT is does great,for dvda/sacd pretty good,for 2ch it's sad.The Pioneers I've owned in the $1K+ were not much better.From a build and on paper perspective the 805 is a nice machine,for the $629 I paid there's not much else that gives me 3 cables vs 25.

Either will perform pretty well for HT,well above their price(street)class.

IMO I would say get the Onkyo TX-SR805. Same Burr-Brown DACs and dual push-pull amp as 2k dollar TX-NR905. This thing is a beast(50.9 lbs). Make sure your shelf is large enough and strong enough to accomodate. THX Ultra2 doesn't mean everything but it does mean something. It also has what is accepted as one of the best room-correcting systems(Audyssey MultEQ XT). When it comes to the THD comparison, yes .05% is better than .09% but it probably will not be audible to the human ear. As far as video processing goes, let your(BR,HD-DVD,DVD) player do the upscaling. Don't get me wrong Pioneer Elites are great but most of my experience is with Onkyos. You can find the 805 many places under $700.00. All of the remaining requests are possible with the Onkyo.

Bill

You know what you should do, you should get the 805, and save a couple hundred dollars and use that to get a better blu ray player, the PS3, even if you don't play games, the load time is worth it alone, at least to me it is.

My HT guy and several forum members sold me on Onkyo, although I got the 705. The 805 is on sale at Vanns for 650 and you get an Ipod adapter. You have to put the unit in your cart to get the sale price (no shipping).

alright, i know i have just 2 receiver to chose from here, but what are some of the better receivers to get? i read some posts about marantz. i think the sr7002 is in my price range. the 110w per channel would be my only consern, the onkyo and pioneer are both 130w, but then again how many watts do you need? i would rather spend a little more now then have to buy something new later. i also looked at the emotive line, i could get the processor and amp for around $1100. when i get a little more money i can always get the more expencive amp later, and getting it at 40% off sounds good. the only thing i didn't like was it only had 2 hdmi inputs.

any suggestions would help.

thanks again

When driving Klipsh the wattage difference will not be an issue. Qoute from PKW "What America needs is a really good 5 watt Amplifier"

Seperates are always better, I prefer old Adcom GFA-5400 due to the Bass output to dollar input ratio. It also is a good clean amp that can be purchased used latter for under $300, new for less $1,000. My GFA-5400, Front Left & Right sounds really good and made a big difference vs. the Pioneer. Stereofile Mag seems to prefer the Adcom GFA-555 which goes for less than $500 used.

I don't know about the 92 but I have the 90 and I just found out today that if you have your player hook up with HDMI to it you still need the optical to get the sound.

So what is the point of HDMI if you need optical? Plus I can help to wonder if I get a blu ray player, how will I get DTS HD if the receiver won't receive audio through HDMI but only through optical.

What m'I missing here?

I also attached the page of the manual where this is explained

I assume you referring to my HK. The problems with it are fixed and it's been great for almost a year now.

I don't have any problems with my pioneer either. I just noticed the HDMI thing today while installing the same receiver at my boss's house.

I don't run HDMI on mine so I never noticed until today and I was wondering I was missing something or that's just the way it is

• 2 weeks later...

In a similar situation - read your post and wanted to follow up.

Love music but want an AVR that has more video capabilities - as you describe

the Pioneer Elite takes standard def close to Hi Def when watching regualar TV - That's what I want

but want to make sure I understand your post correctly - do I ? On the fence between

Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH and Denon 2808ci but reads to me like the Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH

is the way to go for me? If you don't mind - can you tell me what Pioneer Elite Receivers have that differs from

others in regard to video capabilities ?? Thank you - Dan Milo

the video upscale in any AVR is only good if you are connecting a yellow analog output and converting it to hdmi out to tv. if you have digital tv or hd tv, the cable box will have a hdmi out and you will just use that. to me, if you have recent technology stuff you really don't need it. i also thought about it, but went with the onkyo 805 instead of the 875 because that was one of the main differences between those two models.

if you have 720p or 1080p tv, hd cable (or satatillite), blu-ray (or some kind of upconverter) and you use all hdmi connections, the AVR won't process any signal, it will just pass though.

thats at least according to the info i was told by onkyo and pioneer.

Go with the Onkyo (I'm partial to them personally as I have the 875 and love it!), save the extra couple hundred and put it on the blu ray player. And quite honestly I understand keeping everything symetrical however you can NOT beat the Sony PS3 40GB for $399. Besides all components will probably be hidden behind a cabinet or not seen when the lights are dimmed. So being all the same is of a moot point when you, your family or friends are wow'd by the end result. If anyone concentrated on the components to see if they are of the same brand then you have bigger probs :)

If upconversion is a big deal then the Reon processor Onkyo has in the 875 is the best out there in the mid range a/v rec's. Consider spending a few extra to get this feature. For the delta in price it will be pennies per day until you have to upgrade again. IMHO