Looking to upgrade?

Rocko81

I currently have the Synergy F-3's, S-3's and Sub-12. I have an opportunity to buy used RF-35 and RC-35 for a good price. I'm looking for some opinions on if it would be worth it? I really enjoy my F-3's but know the Reference line is very highly regarded.

Thank you,

Rocko

The speakers will sound different in different rooms. They may sound better or worse in his room than they will in yours. His electronics will play a factor also. Hard call as far as the audition goes. Maybe someone will chime in that's heard both sets under the same conditions. The ideal audition would be in your room.

Guest BobG

I'd say that move is more lateral than an upgrade. Each of the two series have their strong points. If you want to upgrade, I'd suggest you think about RF-63's

Hey Rocko,

I just read your post. I actually went the same upgrade path as you. I went to Bestbuy and purchased my first Klipsch speakers (F-3's) and thought they were the cat's meow. Then I decided I should try the higher end stuff - which was RF-35's. WOW What a difference! Then, after owning those for a few months, I kept hearing about their heritage line. Finally I decided to give that a shot and went to audition the Lascala's. If there is anywhere in your state that you can go hear these I highly recomend you doing so.

I think you would be better off finding a pair of Herseys, Forte's,Chorus's, Cornwalls, or LaScalas/Khorns. After hearing the LaScala's - the difference was so substancial that I knew what I needed to do. I sold my entire RF-35 system and purchased 2 LaScalas for really cheap (600 bucks) and some Forte II's for cheap as well.

The bottom line is if you are already going to buy used speakers, buy Heritage! If nothing else, at least try to hear some to make the decision.

I think you would be better off finding a pair of Herseys, Forte's,Chorus's, Cornwalls, or LaScalas/Khorns. After hearing the LaScala's - the difference was so substancial that I knew what I needed to do. I sold my entire RF-35 system and purchased 2 LaScalas for really cheap (600 bucks) and some Forte II's for cheap as well.

The bottom line is if you are already going to buy used speakers, buy Heritage! If nothing else, at least try to hear some to make the decision.

I agree with this 100%. I own Fortes and I think they are heads above the Reference line. Others may disagree, but that's my two cents. There is just something about the richness of the sound of the older lines that I haven't been able to find in newer speakers. Actually the B&W brand is closest to that sound that I've heard but still not the same. I bought my Fortes on Ebay for $314 and then they came in a little worse condition than stated by the seller so he gave me a $60 refund I can't complain overall. I have seen some really beautiful sets go for less than $600 plus shipping. Good luck.

I agree that buying Heritage is the way to go, as long as you have the room. The sound is great and it's actually the more economical way to go. Upgrading your system in a few big steps is more satisfying and less expensive than many small steps.

Ok so now you guys have me really thinking (and looking) about the Forte. Being fairly new to the HT stuff I'm going to throw out a rookie question and take my beating on the chin. Will I need a seperate sub with the Forte? Also when I decide to expand what would be the best match for surrond speakers and center channel?

Thanks,

Rocko

• Moderators

Rocko, where do you live, there may be someone who can let you listen. I know it's not in your room but you could get an idea what the other lines sound like.

How big is your room ?

The bass on the Forte will astound you - deep, strong, rich. However, no true home theater can get by without a subwoofer - to hit 20hz and below with authority takes a dedicated tool.

The ideal center channel is another of the same, so if you have room for another Forte in the center, perfect. After that, the Academy is the best center, then possibly a KLF-C7.

Surround choices can be many - sonic matching is not quite as critical, unless you're going to be doing multi-channel music listening (DVD-A, SACD, DTS concert videos, etc...). Again, more of the same is great if you can - 2 more Forte's in the rear. Or you could use Academy's for surround also, or surround-designed speakers that are dipole/bipole/WDST - various Klipsch models may work and others will have better input. (I have Forte's in the surround positions.)

• Moderators

I live in the Boston area. How about the Heresy II or III would that make a good HT front speakers?

Yes, and Heresy ll or lll all around would sound great with a sub !

I was going to go with Heresy's for 6.1 but some Forte ll's came up locally, then over the next year 2 more to make 6.1. Really wanted 5.1 but no use in storing the extra speaker, all matching sounds great !

An X-Boston Lad myself ....................... Heresy's are quite nice, are you looking used, or new? If I was buying new, I'd do H-3's, but if buying used, I'd shop around and see what was out there. I have H-2's and Cornwalls, bought the H-2's new, great speaker, pit-bull of the Heritage Series, but they can't touch the Cornwalls for sheer musical output .............. take your time, you have alot of choices in that area you live in, prices seem down, good time of year to buy .............

There are some H-II's converted to H-III's on CL fairly close to me for $650. I kind of had those in mind. My wife is less than excited about the look of the F-3's in our living room. With the room only being 14X14 (there are half walls on either side that open into our dinning room of the same size) it's a little tight. I'm more or less buying for the future at this point, as the kids are on the way and I'm sure will need some extra room sonner than later.