What to use for power conditioning for Aragon amps?

Bill222

I just bought two Aragon amps - an 8008ST and an 8008x3. This is my first experience with using powered amps instead of an integrated receiver. I'm now using my receiver mainly as a pre-amp and to drive the 2 rear-surround speakers.

My question is - what sort of power conditioning device(s) should I use for the Aragon amps? The description for the Aragons say they can happily consume all available line voltage ("The only restriction on the amount of power your speakers will receive is the capability of the AC line voltage").

I live in Orlando - also known as "The lightning capital of the world". Even on days with no lighting, we still have power fluctuations on a regular basis. I'm currently using a collection of APC UPS's scattered around the house for stereos/TVs/computers, and about every other day I hear the UPS's kick in, on-and-off quickly as the lights dim and brighten as the power company plays games with the power.

Currently, I just have the Aragon amps plugged into a heavy-duty (3-prong) extension cord, plugged into a "surge protect only" outlet in a UPS. Should I be using anything else to "condition the power" or "maintain a constant line voltage"? And if so, what?

Whatever you decide on, make sure it is rated to allow all available amperage in your circuit through. In other words, if you run a dedicated 20 amp circuit for your HT, you don't want a device that's only rated at 15 amps. Most people will recommend what they own (naturally). I use Furman.

Wow. I just bought a Furman Elite-15 PF yesterday (last year's model of the current Elite-15 PFi) - and just - wow. I definitely have "tin" ears, but even I could hear the difference in my CF-3's and CF-2's driven by the Aragaon 8008ST and 8008x3B when using the Furman Elite-15 PF to feed the Aragons. It was definitely the "PF" (Power Factor) portion of the Furman that made the differnce. The 4 "Amplifier Output" sockets - also described as "power factor corrected amplifiler outlets - 3 amps RMS reserve - resistive load - over 45 amps peak charge" made a HUGE difference in the naked-ear audible sound quality.

Thanks for recommending Furman so I found this PF technology!