" New " old design HK receivers

dtel

• Moderators

As popular as the older stereo receivers are why can't HK or another company build a similar model.

Most of these company's have cheap 2 ch models but nothing that sounds like the older ones. If you can build a cheaper model why not charge a little more for for quality twin amp model with better parts, it has to be cheaper than all the parts that go into a 7.1 model.

It would be worth the extra money to buy a new receiver if made like the older HK, or some of the Sansui models.

As popular as the older stereo receivers are why can't  HK or another company build a similar model.

Most of these company's have cheap 2 ch models but nothing that sounds like the older ones. If you can build a cheaper model why not charge a little more for for quality twin amp model with better parts, it has to be cheaper than all the parts that go into a 7.1 model.

It would be worth the extra money to buy a new receiver if made like the older HK, or  some of the Sansui models.

I've often wondered the same. Quality stopped coming out of Japan on a large scale around 1980. Prior to that, heavy transformers, and chassis, and wood cabinets were the norm. After the oil embargo of the seventies (much like now), shipping got very expensive as did parts. Japanese mentality is also very different from the then American way of doing things. Most Japanese companies insist on lower manufacturing costs EVERY year, in addition to less labor. They call it the ten percent rule; make it ten percent cheaper, using ten percent less labor, and make it ten percent "better". Now their definition of "better" conflicts with mine, but nonetheless there you have it. It is still cheaper to build a 7.1 channel AVR than to build the modern equal of an HK 930, or Sansui 7070. Magnum Dynalab is the only modern quality two channel receiver that I know of, and it is over $2000. In addition, Japan has some very smart marketing. How else could they convince the entire world that CD's are superior to LP's? They invented the CD, and it is far easier and cheaper to build CD players than turntables. Ever ship a turntable? The parts count on a old 70's receiver would break a modern accountants pencil. Alps pots, big transformers, lots of soldering and labor, it is much cheaper to build integrated circuits. In addition, Japan learned a lesson in over-building, as in "don't make it outlast us", because then who will ever need to buy another?...unless we convince the customers "out with the old" and in with the new. By the way, you'll need to scrap that 5.1 AVR and buy new because you NEED 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio, etc. "They don't build 'em like they used to".

There are some Japanese audio companies of good reputation and quality but not the mass production companies. For instance Luxmann was one of the great tube amp builders of Japan but when the company sold to Alpine Mr. Miura's son left the company to found Air TIght.

http://www.tweakshop.com/Air%20Tight.html

Air
Tight was founded by Mr Atasushi Miura. His father, who began by building
transformers for the fledgling Japanese audio industry in the 1930's, was the
head of Luxman Corporation, a manufacturer of fine audio equipment acclaimed
internationally for its excellent sound and construction. Mr. Miura was
therefore immersed in high quality audio from an early age. Mentored by his
father, he worked his way up through the Luxman company, attaining the status of
audio Engineer responsible for designing the circuits for many of the highly
regarded Luxman tube amps, and in time he too became head of Luxman.

In
the mid-'80's, Mr. Miura sensed a shift in the audio industry toward lower
quality, mass-produced components. Rather than become part of the slide into
mediocrity, he sold Luxman and started his own new company, Air Tight.

Air
Tight has attained legendary status in high-end audio circles, as much for the
build-integrity and elegance of their products as for the exceptional sound
quality.

ATM-3.jpg

ATM-211.jpg

ATM-2web.jpg

Having seen and heard the OUTLAW RR1250, I doubt that you can do any better for the money ......... Many new modern features on a retro style 2 -Channel unit .............. look it up and check it out ..... www.outlawaudio.com ...... After hearing this unit, it would be hard for me to buy a Vintage Unit with this product sitting out there ........... take the time to look at the Specs, what more could you need ???????

In my opinion, Harman Kardon is not producing a two channel receiver that compares to the twin powered 730 or 930.

I own a H/K 3485. Its sounded awful on my Cornwall I's and that was prior to a BEC crossover refresher.

Glaring, harsh midrange. Piercing at higher volumes. Not much bass. Maybe it's just my unit and others aren't the same.

I know members in this forum use the 3480 and 3485 and are quite happy with it's performance and I hate to say I'm dissapointed with mine, but I think both the vintage 730 and 930 walk circles around the 3485.

I should also state I'm not using a subwoofer.

My 3485 is now my kitchen stereo driving a pair of JBL 620M's. Sounds a lot better driving dome tweeters.

I'm not downing anyone's system, I'm just saying the 3485 is not for me.

Apologizing in advance.

P.S. The 7070/8080 Sansui receivers are comparable to the 730/930 H/K's. Good sound. I have one of each.

I have to agree with Arf, in that every modern receiver or amp I tried on my kg4's was a complete and utter let down. Once I slipped an HK 930 in (thanks to this forum), everything changed. Very smooth, no screeching, no fatigue, just music. I've recently acquired a Sansui 7070, and although at first I thought it much better than the HK, in the end I found it fatiguing. The 7070 is endlessly powerful and very dynamic with a much more upfront sound than the HK. However, especially on vinyl I found there to be too much detail and the phono sounded noisy in comparison with the HK. Perhaps it's my cartridge, or perhaps the Sansui needs some work. But I also found myself constantly adjusting volume and tweaking the tone controls, usually turning down the bass on many recordings. The HK simply sings without any fiddling which in the end lets me enjoy my music. Too bad, cause I really wanted the Sansui to work as I love its look and awesome build quality. That said, the Sansui stills kicks the snot out of any newer design that I've tried.