Hot Summer Sunday Klipsch Roadtrip

jtnfoley

LOOOONG drive in 92+ weather!

A little disappointed in the first stop: KG4s that were (I believe) unintentionally misrepresented. They had cheapie MTX 8" woofs in two places (advertised as one.) I've got a spare KG4 that I parted out so I've actually got TWO K-8-Ks.... BUT (BIG, scary BUT) a third needs to be replaced: One of the stock woofs has a cracked surround.

Oh well... I'll find a K-8-K (or run them as is briefly) and complete my plan for these speakers: I'm gifting to a buddy who is going to get me wholesale on whole-house AC and help me install it.

The real score on the trip, tho, is the goodies hiding in the boxes piled up on the trunk of my car...

Posted Image

That's two complete sets of Heresy II internals I got off of a guy who upgraded to IIIs, plus a spare squaker from his past efforts.

I'll finally have a timbre matched center for my La Scala mains!

Congrats. Getting the HII parts is redemptive after the KG4 disappointment.

What are you planning for your HII parts? Homebrew cabs?

Yep. Front and Rear centers to match my mains (still not fully decided whether to keep my La Scalas' or 'downgrade' to Cornwalls. I've got both and need the $$$ for a major landscaping project.

I'm planning on making horizontal HII centers, as low a profile as is practical with the stock woofer, with width and depth to make an air volume to match the original HII spec.

LOOOONG drive in 92+ weather! One of the stock woofs has a cracked surround.

If one is cracked, the others are not far behind. You should be able to replace the surrounds. I've done it on dozens of AR drivers and it's not too difficult.

Greg

I knew that the HII-> HIII would be a home run for a lot of guys. Upgrade to III is a major one, selling the II parts a bonus. Buying II parts from an upgrader helps another Forum member out. That's what I've been pushing for.

EVERYBODY WINS!

M

BUT (BIG, scary BUT) a third needs to be replaced: One of the stock woofs has a cracked surround.

JTNFoley: I have a pair of KG-4 that I might consider parting out. Also would be interested in the LaScalas if you decide to sell. Son lives in Cambridge and could get the parts that far for you, when he comes to visit.

Frank

Its' ironic... I actually parted out one of two KG4s I had and sold two K-8-Ks to forum members [:(] They were a set of moisture-effected swelled and split carcases. I still have the other, and drove a LONG way thinking the new ones needed only one driver: Then I found two cheapie MTXs (rather than the one as advertised,) AND split surrounds on a third. Que sera sera. I grabbed them anyway, after the seller knocked off another $25.

The LaScalas are laquered birtch designer with cane grills, 1983, in 9/10 (or better) condition, and will be in the neighborhood of $1k+ if I finally decide to sell them.

JTNFoley: I have a pair of KG-4 that I might consider parting out. Also would be interested in the LaScalas if you decide to sell. Son lives in Cambridge and could get the parts that far for you, when he comes to visit.

Frank

You can't beat that. Gas would have cost more than that to get them to you[A]

Please keep me in mind for the Scalas. Thanks.

From the Dept. of Don't That Just Beat All: I was just first respondent on a set of KG4s. I pick them up tonight.

For fifty bucks.

Two miles from my house.

Gas would have cost more than that to get them to youAngel

I draw your attention to the three little letters on the passengers side of my trunk in the above picture...

"TDI" = "Turbo, Direct Injection" a.k.a. VW Diesel. 50MPG average since January 2003 when I bought it. I LOVE MY LITTLE GREY VOLKSWAGON, and I'm straight!