Cornwall Project

bliss53

Guest David H

The AP12-500 crosses over at 500 Hz. It's pushing the low end of the squawker horn a bit but you might be able to get away with it. The 600 Hz version is the right thing for the Cornwall. You certainly could try it for a while to see if it makes the sound you want and later exchange the AP12-500 for an AP12-600 . Both designs are on my web site for DIY projects.

Al K.

Al, Peter has my Fastrac Cornwall horn in his Cornwalls so the ES-500 should be perfect for his application.

post-24405-1381948727772_thumb.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeremy,

Yes, the EE5800 is compatible with the K-79 or any other tweeter where the tweeter is 8 ohms and has MORE or equal senstivity to the rest of the speaker. The ES500 low crossover would work too if you can swallow the cost. The ES600 too. The low crossover is really determined by how low you can push the squawker horn and driver. ES networks let you safely shove it lower without damage to the driver. Just be sure the horn will function below it's ratings. The Altec 811b horn, for example, will go down to 700 Hz nicely to spite its 800 Hz ratings.

Al k.

In my own meager experience most horns seem to be rated with a 12db/octave slope in mind. Therefore when a steeper slope (IE: 24db) is employed the squawker will indeed go lower with no problem. That makes Al's ES networks great at squeezing all the goodness out.[:)]

Jeremy,

Yes, the EE5800 is compatible with the K-79 or any other tweeter where the tweeter is 8 ohms and has MORE or equal senstivity to the rest of the speaker. The ES500 low crossover would work too if you can swallow the cost. The ES600 too. The low crossover is really determined by how low you can push the squawker horn and driver. ES networks let you safely shove it lower without damage to the driver. Just be sure the horn will function below it's ratings. The Altec 811b horn, for example, will go down to 700 Hz nicely to spite its 800 Hz ratings.

Al k.

Thanx Al, that is great to know. I wondered about the ES600 as well thanx for clearing that up too. I really need to contact you off the forum about a DIY project I have been dragging out for years, and see how your networks would apply.

Jeremy

What kind of cereal do I need to buy to get the ring?

I am able to resolder broken connections and change the caps in a crossover but this design and tweeking stuff is over my head. I want to learn but when I read stuff like hz, uf, and slope stuff it is like I have been drinking all day and my brain stops.

What should I do, if anything, to my ap12-500/es5800 crossovers before testing them in these cornwalls with gothover horns and the following driver senarios:

1. ct125, K57, K33

2. K77m, K57, K33

3 ct125, K55v, K33

4. K77m, K55v, K33

5. K77, K57, K33

6. K77, K55v, K33

I spent several more hours listing last night with the alk designed B network replacement, ct125, k57 and k33. I really like the sound it is hard to believe it could get better.

The only changes needed to try the AP12-500 + ES5800 in a cornwall is to change the transformer settings. It depends on which drivers you have and your personal taste where to set them. Start with taps 1 - 4 on the AP12. That's where the fellow has his set. I am not sure about the ES5800 tweeter setting, so start with 0 dB and cut it down as needed for the CWII. I think -5 pr -7 dB for the original Cornwall. I don't know about variations on drivers. I suggest you bring the cabels from each driver out the bass port with the network sitting on the floor and play with the settings before you install it. Keep in mind that the crossover should be 600 Hz on the stock Cornwall and you can't move the crossover on my networks without totally rebuilding it.

Oh yeah, the ring. Try Cracker-Jack boxes.

Al k.

Crossover testing. The AP12-500/ES5800 sounded very good. Best so far...detailed...bright with the la scala settings. Brought down the tweeter to -5db. much better. I will play with "taps 1-4" tonight after I read ALKs online and instuctions and figure out what " taps 1-4" means.

Testing position. After the testing the long awaited black paint and wood finish will commence. I am hoping to buy or borrow some K52 adapters to compare to my homemade K57 adapter is use now. A second set of modified adapters is on the way from gothover for K55v testing.

Guest David H

Progress on the grills. Copied the first grill from the motor board, cut close to the line with a jig saw then finished with the router.

Nice work on the grills. BTW I am loving that TT as well.

Pete,

Taps 1 - 4 is roughly 7 dB atteuation. You might also try 0 - 3 for 6 dB. That's the setting I used on my original Cornwall network and where Klipsch put it on ther "B sereis" networks. All this depends on you squawker horn, driver and personal taste though.

Al K.

Al,

Tried the db settings. 7 db is the one. Very nice integration and the layered depth of the soundstage is markedly better. Very good integration. I never believed cornwalls could compete with la scalas but these are much better in my room.

Still in trials. Got some modified adapters from gothover and dropped in the K55v driver with the the ALK ap12-500/ES5800, Crites tweeter, and stock K33. The ALK taps were set at 7db attenution and the tweeter jumper was set at -5db. These were the settings that sounded good with the k57s. The K55v had a thicker sound. More energy in the bass. I think I prefer the K57 given the same settings. Any suggestions on the setting that might improve the sound of the K55v?.