Members Weekly Music Recommendations-June 2

callmeishmael

Thanks so much for putting this up. I don't know if it was local but Sunday and yesterday the Forum wasn't loading on my computer at all. Frustrating but, hey I have absolutely no pride of authorship regards this thread, only pride that so many folks stop by from week to week to tell us about worthy music.

This week I'm going for some jazz:

John Coltrane, "Live at Birdland", jazz, cd Reprise 20 bit re-issue. Like a good tenor sax I blow hot and cold over jazz, still not comfortable with it's more discorndant movements and improvisation, but this is a good one. I lack words to address jazz albums so I'm punting at putting up a brief synopsis of this cd from an on-line write-up:

"Soaring and soulful work from the legendary John Coltrane -- a
tremendous live set that's one of his best early 60s albums! The groove
is open and free -- filled with pulsating modal rhythms, and handled
with a slightly more relaxed feeling than some of Trane's studio work
from the same time. The quartet features McCoy Tyner on piano, Jimmy
Garrison on bass, and Elvin Jones on drums -- and Coltrane himself
plays both tenor and soprano sax, the latter with an especially
beautiful sound. The set kicks off with a beautifully fiery reading of
"Afro-Blue" -- one that really opens up, and remakes the tune into one
of Coltrane's most legendary recordings -- and other titles include a
classic reading of "Alabama", plus the titles "Your Lady" and "The
Promise"."

This may be the most mainstrain safe music recommendation I have ever posted. I was listening to some music the other night with friends and when the smoke finally cleared I realized I liked the tunes being played.

cosmoFs_cover.300.jpgB0000CG8C6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Bloomfield Kooper & Stills, or : Super Session LP: Season Of The Witch, with an old Willie Cobb song, You Don't Love Me....

Donovans' Greatest LP, Season Of The Witch, Kyrstal Spectacles....

Rare Earth, rocks....Born To Wander......Agreed!

Seti ; try Creedence "Willie and the Poor Boys" ................... Season of the Witch, Vanilla Fudge did a fine version ............

JACO PASTORIUS : JACO PASTORIUS .............. This is his first solo album, this Lad can flat out play a Bass Guitar. Tried Weather Report and didn't care for it, but JACO sticks right out. As much as I like 6 string guitars, this guy makes the Bass a lead instrument, as only a few can do. Awesome what a man can do with some strings and his fingers. I feel my Jaco journey is about to take off, I've been searching for something new, and I think I've found it. I don't know where the journey will end, think I'll just kick back and enjoy............

I am stuck in the past. I was listening to Rare Earth. Born to Wander, I'm Losing You, Celebrate and Get Ready.

I love Rare Earth, bought Anthology a few years back. Remember that In Concert disc with the green knapsack for the cover- that one rocked!