Upgrading my Heresys-advice needed

jhw59

Hi folks,

newbie to this forum so here goes....I have a pair of Heresys I bought in the late 70s and wondered what mods could be performed on the speakers. I think the bass cone could be replaced but wondered if the crossovers could also be upgraded? I don't think I have the quals do it myself so is there a company in my area (DC-Baltimore) that does this kind of work?

Thanks

Jay

Here is some upgrades that the parts will run you about $120 total capacitors ,tweeters, horn and inductors all from Parts Express.

kg4guy, 

What horn is that on the tweeter?

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony I took a $1.95 super tweeter and modified it and glued a horn adpt. on it not pretty put looks ok in the cabinet as you can see from the photo. Most of the upgrades on the Heresy with new tweeter caps and inductors can get up around $200 + so after spending $300-$400 for a pair the upgrade is %60 + of the cost I spoke to ALK and that is why he does not do a Heresy crossover upgrade.

kg4guy,

I'm really impressed with this tweeter you've put together. I know the APT-50 is a good little driver. How does the original driver come apart from the horn? Did you just glue the adapter on the horn or did you try to "thread" it in? I'm going to put together a couple of these and I want to make sure they'll hold.

Thanks,

Tony

kg4guy,

I'm really impressed with this tweeter you've put together.  I know the APT-50 is a good little driver.  How does the original driver come apart from the horn?  Did you just glue the adapter on the horn or did you try to "thread" it in?  I'm going to put together a couple of these and I want to make sure they'll hold.

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony shoot me a email and I will send you some detailed photos. My email is aayrassian@mac.com

I sent my caps, etc to popbumper for an upgrade-they were scheduled to arrive today..last night my father calls and says he is having a cardiac procedure and he needs me to fly down and help him...of course I go but I will have to wait a week to experience my upgrade..that's life I guess. Dad's ok so that's the bottom line.Thanks to popbumper for his work[*]

I sent my caps, etc to popbumper for an upgrade-they were scheduled to arrive today..last night my father calls and says he is having a cardiac procedure and he needs me to fly down and help him...of course I go but I will have to wait a week to experience my upgrade..that's life I guess. Dad's ok so that's the bottom line.Thanks to popbumper for his work

Best wishes on a speedy and full recovery for your Dad.