Look what just sold for $6100 on eBay...

TNRabbit

A PERSONAL pair of Bob Carver's tube monoblocks made out of a collaboration between Bob & Tim de Paravicini. 185 wpc personally handmade by Bob. Shweeeet!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180249243449&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=5340&p=51703&hilit=bob+carver+tube+amp%2A#p51703

Tube Monoblock Amps

Tube Monoblocks Rear

Tube Monoblocks Inside

Tube Monoblocks Signature

I've used it with several amps. Wright 2A3, Dyna Mark III, SE OTL. Most recently I've been using it with a Teac digital amp, which is my office system, but gets very little use. I've been downsizing after moving in to a smaller house. Sold the Khorns and LaScalas. At home I listen to Heresy driven by a nicely redone Fisher 500B.

Uuum, Bob Carver? He of “the tube amps can’t compare to solid state challenge” fame? He makes tube amps now? Bet they sound almost as great as amps costing half the price!

(seriously, the man almost single handily created the class D powered subwoofer product)

Uuum, Bob Carver? He of “the tube amps can’t compare to solid state challenge” fame? He makes tube amps now? Bet they sound almost as great as amps costing half the price!

(seriously, the man almost single handily created the class D powered subwoofer product)

I think Bob heard a few of Tim's EAR designs and quickly changed his mind. No disrespect from me, Mr. Carver is a legend in the industry.

Never really understood why we don't see more Carver joy on the forum here. You do see some praise for the Sunfire stuff in the HT forum. I have had a Carver TFM-25 since new back around 91 or 92 and still think it is a fine peice of equipment, obviously nothing like this ebay set up. I have heard quite a bit of Bob's stuff in both tube and SS and never heard anything bad.

For a while I had two TFM amps bridged to mono each hooked up to both my Forte II and Chorus. Say what you will about Klipsch speakers not needing much power, but that set up really rocked - tight, fast clean and clear.

I also had a Carver CT-17. Lots of the Carver preamps had the sonic holography thing. While it was not my typical listening mode it was an interesting switch from time to time. Anyone else find that interesting? In its day the AV-64 amp was pretty handy too. Lots of options on how to make it run in different configurations. Bob always seemed to be on the cutting edge of things like that.

Carver has built tube amps before.

silver7.jpg

And his challenge was not that tube amps could not compete with solid state. It was that he could make his SS amp indistinguishable from a tube amp in a specific challenge. He won that challenge by the way.

Shawn

Pretty dinky power supply capacity for the 185 WPC amplifier........ It takes a huge amount of clean DC to power six KT88's.

Obviously it will sound like poo.

If anyone can make a lot from little, it would be Bob Carver. I'd find it very surprising if it sounds like "poo"...