Altec 811b horns

I recently acquired some '79 Cornwalls. Is there any advantage to hooking the mids up to a couple of Altec 811b horns (Eminence drivers, don't know which off the top of my head) that I have lying around? Any sort of crossover modification that needs to happen if I do so? Is there a driver that "works best" in the 811b when used this way?

And should I dampen them with rope caulk? [:|] Just kidding on that one!

My recommendation would be to set the 811 on top and put the network on top of the cabinet as IB Slammin did.

The 811 probably shouldn't be used with standard Klipsch networks as the XO point was 600Hx and the 811 isn't supposed to go that low.

However...it can be done. You would need a crossover change.

I built some Cornwall mod cabinet that I called "tallcorns". They are a tall and skinny cornwall with the 811 horn. I used an ALK Engineering ES700 and a ES8500 (kinda). The XO points were 700Hz and 5800Hz steep slope.

You project would essentially be like this one except you would use the stock CW cabinet and place the midhorn and XO on the cabinet.

Here is some unfinished photos.

jc

post-16499-1381937492066_thumb.jpg