Will an Onkyo TX-SR805 be enought to power an RC-64 and will that be a good center channel mate to my RF-82's?

daedalusen

Thanks for the link. I was reading that thread earlier. I have listened to the both the RC-64 and the 62 and noticed that the 64 has a much wider sound array, it really fills out the space. My only concern is that it may over power my RF-82s. The guy at the store hasn't really been a huge help as they did not have the 82's set up in the same room as the RC-64.

• Moderators

The guy at the store hasn't really been a huge help as they did not have the 82's set up in the same room as the RC-64.

If he wants to sell it, I'm sure he would be happy to hook it up in the other room with the RF-82's so you can see what it sounds like paired up with it.

My only concern is that it may over power my RF-82s

If you use the auto setup from your reciever, it should properly calibrate all your speakers and smooth out any noticable problems. I recommend an SPL meter with the AVIA dvd. If done right, you will be in Klipsch heaven!! Get the 64 and maybe later if funds allow, you can upgrade your towers and move the 82's to surround duty. But definately get the 64 if you have the room for it.

Hi

The Onkyo is a great receiver, it will sound fantastic. It is s very powerful amplifier they are real watts not bestbuy watts.

If you have not already purchased the receiver check out Amazon, their price is unbeatable, it was $573 last time i bought one for a friend. Ive got the SR875 which is acoustically the same just has slightly better video and its the best receiver ive ever owned, its blows the denons out of the water $ for $.

Alan

Without getting too neg on the 805,I have one,it don't work,must send far away to fix.This rates pretty high as one of the most disapointing avrs ever or me.I was not happy about it's musical abilities to start,HT was ok,now neither.

I have already bought the SR805, so my current set up is left and right with RF-82's and for the surrounds if went with the 52's. I finally go the guy to hook up the 64 and 62 with the 82's. The 64 carried a lot more information compared to the 62, plus it seemed to have a much wider sound angle, which makes since considering its a monster in size compared to the 62. I am almost ready to pull the trigger, but I guess my only concern is still whether my 805's amp is strong enough for the 64 with out a ton of compensation in the settings to keep it balanced? Anybody have this similar setup or using the onkyo 805 with the RC-64?

The RC-64 is a very efficient(99dB) speaker. The Onkyo TX-SR805 has very high quality amps and power source usually only found on receivers

at a much higher price point. On this and other forums many members with similar setups have chimed in and touted the capabilities of the 805.

Get the RC-64, take it home, hook it up and listen. If not satisfied, buy an external amp to power the 64 or take it back and get the 62. Keep in mind,

you might get the "bug" and may want to upgrade to the RF-63's or 83's, then you would already have the RC-64.

Bill

I already have the bug, but the wife says the RF-82's sound good enough. I'm going to pull the trigger on the RC-64, it just offers so much more information from the center compared to the 62. One question still remains? Anybody have any thoughts on what speakers to use as the rear surrounds for a 7.1 system, I already on the 52's and they are awesome, but I'm not sure that another set would work well in the rear. Thoughts?

Should I be looking for directional speakers in the rear? I was reading through some other forums, and unless your into surround music, it seems the census has been to use klipsch dipoles. Thoughts? My guy at my audio place is trying to sell me on RS-10's in my current setup? It seems they may be underpowered compared to the rest of my speakers?

• Moderators

It's all preference. Direct vs. Dipole (or Klipsch's Wide Dispersion) sound different. The direct is...well...directional. You can tell where the sound is coming from very distinctly. The Klipsch RS line tries to spread the sound around, like a shotgun does. Some suggest in a 7.1 to do direct (RB line) in the rear and wide dispersion (RS line) on the sides. If you are doing a 5.1 system, it all boils down to preference. I used to have Polk Dipole/Bipole speakers and I loved them. They enveloped the rear area and helped to created that full immersion experience during movies. In the end, there is no right or wrong in this area. Do what your ears tell you sounds best. Hope this helps.