K79-K vs K75-K efficiency??

jerohm

Much to MY surprise, I THOUGHT (incorrectly) that since the K79 was more efficient than the K75, it was due to a larger magnet structure (ala K75 over K76 ), but I WAS WRONG!! The K79 and K75 magnets seems to be the same size... and since I KNOW that series all use the same diaphragms, what specifically makes the K79 more efficient than the K75. I am sure it must have to due with different magnets (strength), but they look pretty much the same to MY untrained eyes. [*-)]

Hi Jerohm,

Colter is wrong in this case as they use the same diaphragms. They look about the same to me too. I think they K-79 may be a little deeper overall. I will check when I get home. As I recall the K-79 is run flat out in the Chorus, KLF-30, and Cornwall II, while the K-75 is attenuated in the Forte and Forte II. The efficiency might be the same or very close, I have not checked the phasing plugs or gaps to see if they are the same.

I have only one pair of tweeters with K79 'stickers' on the magnet structure, BUT I played with nearly a dozen pairs of K75 (Forte/II) and K76 (Heresy/Quartets), all with Klipsch Part#s 'inked' on the magnets; the K75 magnet is almost TWICE the size of the K76. They ALL share the same plastic horns and diaphragms.

You are just going to have to believe me on THAT!

( BTW, I have seen K76s with and WITHOUT ferro-fluid(?) in the voice coil gap, but ALL K75s that I have seen were dry )

Well, I have been a member of this forum for about 2 years and only posted twice. I have find the information here to be very useful and interesting, (being a Klipsch fanatic and all). And being hard headed, I couldn't believe jerohm just because he said I was going to have to. Having said that, I think I will restrict myself to reading only. jerohm is correct. The pair of tweeters that I had on a shelf and thought were K-75's are in fact K-76's also (the ink was very faded). So I pulled a K-76 out of a working Tangent 500 and have attached a photo to further show how I initially passed on some incorrect info. Sorry....

post-23432-1381938043062_thumb.jpg

post-23432-13819391875108_thumb.jpg

• 12 years later...

From what I have been told the difference between the 75 and 79 is in the motor.  The top plate on the 75 is "tighter" than on the 79, and the magnet is 0.2 oz smaller on the 75.  The tighter top plate and smaller magnet are supposed to offset each other -- making it so the 75 has about the same output as the 79.  So I think the 75 is a cost savings to build over the 79 (without giving up any performance).

the K75 was released prior to the k79 , they  both used the same motor/magnet/diaphragm   , the difference is that ferro-fluid was added on the k79  -while the K75 is dry ,  The ferro-fluid helps a lot with heat dissipation -and the k79 had a little bit of green added to the inner rim of the magnet on the pro units  -

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, STL said:

From what I have been told the difference between the 75 and 79 is in the motor.  The top plate on the 75 is "tighter" than on the 79, and the magnet is 0.2 oz smaller on the 75.  The tighter top plate and smaller magnet are supposed to offset each other -- making it so the 75 has about the same output as the 79.  So I think the 75 is a cost savings to build over the 79 (without giving up any performance).

Thanks for answering the question...12 years after it was posted...

8 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

the K75 was released prior to the k79 ,  and they  both used the same motor/magnet/diaphragm   , the difference is that ferro-fluid was added on the k79  -while the K75 is dry ,  The ferro-fluid helps a lot with heat dissipation -and the k79 had a little bit of green added to the inner rim of the magnet on the pro units  -

Well that makes a little more sense than what I was told.  After studying the 75s and 79s that I have closer, those two appear to be exactly the same physically -- but I thought perhaps I was not understanding what was meant by "a tighter top plate".  Thanks for sharing and being helpful!

22 hours ago, jjptkd said:

The k-79-KP and k-792-KP are two different tweeters first being an exponential and second being the tractrix. 

image.png.85950d3d235156ab2b2837a07fb3c591.png

JJ   ---does   the K792 have a  a smaller magnet or are they both the same size ,  2nd question , I remember seeing that you toyed with the Paudio PHT-409 Horn Tweeter  and you adapted a B&C DE120 on the tweeter lense  -------is this combo way better than a k79-k792

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

JJ   ---does   the K792 have a  a smaller magnet or are they both the same size ,  2nd question , I remember seeing that you toyed with the Paudio PHT-409 Horn Tweeter  and you adapted a B&C DE120 on the tweeter lense  -------is this combo way better than a k79-k792

Yes, magnet sizes are exactly the same from what I can tell the horn flare is the only difference.

IMO the de-120 is head and shoulders above any variant of the k-75/79 with or without titanium diaphragms; they fill in the high end with exceptional clarity separation and detail at all volumes without ever getting harsh.  I like them so much I put them in all of my speakers; my Chorus II's, kp-301-II's and custom kp-362's.

• Like 1