Thanks THUMP, if anyone could understand all this it would be you. Great job on your Friday Workshop, although I was saddened that my contribution to Pilgrimage planning was swept aside, I'm happy that guys like you and Alvin stepped up to the plate. Well done!

yer buddy,

Michael

• Like 1

bentz

So I assume there is an XO in that setup for those curves. EQ too? Sorry for so many questions.

jc

I'm showing the passband of each driver with the crossovers in place - no EQ. I didn't get around to setting the delays or doing any EQ or anything like that. It would have required different mic placements and Colter was wanting to get his photoshoot done, lol.

If you'd like, I could provide the individual measurements of each driver. It gets a bit confusing when you put them all in one graph though.

Bentz. Those are nice.

I assume that these are "relative" SPL and that the last two curves had the same input.

I would have thought the dual 15" would play out a little further that 400Hz better than they did. The low end seems to be similar to the Raw curve of a La Scala.

I guess the SW needs to be EQ'ed quite a bit to reach that 30Hz -3db spec. Any idea what the SW box is "tuned" to? That would be helpful for EQ purposes. Also.......do you think that the SW is good "sounding" out to 130Hz? You may not be able to answer that last one but maybe with opinion. You See; I've monkeyed around with the concept of the modern day KPT-684 SW to be mated with the current Klipsch Cinema midbass module KPT-MB-XII. This seems to be a close concept to how the KP600 was setup.

Man, You guys had some fun. Too bad you couldn't get a stereo pair of the KP600 jammin some tunes.

jc

Bentz. Those are nice.

I assume that these are "relative" SPL and that the last two curves had the same input.

I would have thought the dual 15" would play out a little further that 400Hz better than they did. The low end seems to be similar to the Raw curve of a La Scala.

I guess the SW needs to be EQ'ed quite a bit to reach that 30Hz -3db spec. Any idea what the SW box is "tuned" to? That would be helpful for EQ purposes. Also.......do you think that the SW is good "sounding" out to 130Hz? You may not be able to answer that last one but maybe with opinion. You See; I've monkeyed around with the concept of the modern day KPT-684 SW to be mated with the current Klipsch Cinema midbass module KPT-MB-XII. This seems to be a close concept to how the KP600 was setup.

Man, You guys had some fun. Too bad you couldn't get a stereo pair of the KP600 jammin some tunes.

jc

Actually, they are NOT relative SPL. There was a lot of noise happening while I was measuring so I tweaked the input to maximize my SNR on the measurement. I seem to recall the dual 15 horn to have about 3-6dB more output than the dual 18's. The noise is probably why the response is so jagged too...that and I had the microphone off the ground.

As far as the 18's rolling off....I think that is mostly due to the cabinets being a bit worn out. Any leaks in the cabinet would kill the LF extension real fast like. I'm not sure what the exact problem was, but I'm pretty sure they would measure lower extension if everything was in mint condition.

Most pro audio situations will roll off the subs at 100Hz to the main stacks and things sound fine that way. I've experimented with different points a few times, but always seem to end up back at 100Hz. 130Hz isn't too far away and would probably sound just fine. Did you pick that number because you plan on crossing the MB-XII over to it at that frequency?

For what it's worth, I have always absolutely loved those horn loaded midbass woofer modules. I haven't heard the MB-XII specifically, but if I were to build myself a 3-way, then what you're proposing is probably the route I'd go. I think djk mentioned in another thread how he likes the straight horn woofer bins because it lets you cross to the tweeter at a higher frequency (thus improving the HF performance). I would probably go with a different bass bin (probably something like the 884) because I like deeper bass, but that all depends on the kind of music you'll be listening to.

Doc: " I seem to recall the dual 15 horn to have about 3-6dB more output than the dual 18's"

The specs show 106 and 109 so those are 3 db off in efficiency. Good catch Doc.

Will the MB-XII play significantly deeper than the MSSM or mid horn of the KP600 (both utilizing the Kk41 10" compression driver)?

• Like 1

The KP600EC crossover/eq module will allow up to 9 db of SHELVING boost at 70, 90, 110, 120 hz. Note that it also allows selective phase switching for each cabinet and the standard configuration is to flip phase on the LF (15") cabinet.

• Like 1

I picked 130Hz as a "possible" acheived frequency as 30-130Hz is what it says in the kp600 pdf file that colter has posted.

You an colter now have both suggested the 884 as a blend with a midbass module as the MB-XII. I just assumed there would be a better SPL match with the 684's and also assumed the 684 would go higher in frequency.

I had requested Roy post the MB-XII midbass module raw curve in the Commercial forum section where he has posted the 884 and 684 raw curves. Just to get an idea of what the low end of the XII looks like. The published specs on that module:

KPT-XII-MB

170Hz-1kHz ± 3dB 120Hz-1.7kHz -10dB

250 watts (42V) 150Hz-1.5kHz

Calc. Max. Cont. Output 128dB

Sensitivity 105dB

Horizontal 90° ± 10° 200Hz-2kHz

Vertical 70° ± 10° 500Hz-1.6kHz

DI 8dB ± 2dB 250Hz-1.6kHz

Q 6.3

8 ohms (7 min. @ 180Hz)