Denon turntables any good?

The Denon looks really pretty but the Technics is probably way more bang for the buck.

Get a Technics SL1210 MK2 or the next one up with the upgraded tone are wire, or to save money get a used SL1200. Then buy a Suniko headshell (abotu $40) and a Denon DL160 cart (under $200). Easy as can be to set up and use and built and feels like a Lexus. If you like different carts, just buy more headshells and swap them out in about 2 minutes (2 minuted includes all other adjutments).

The Denon DL160 and Headshell really work well with this table. I started with a VPI Scout and Dynavector 20X and barely used it. I did nto find the "audiophile" inconvience charming at all. I sold it and then got the itch fro vinyl again in about 6 months. I bought this and use it a lot more (at about 1/4 the price). Did I mention that the DL160 and headshell really make this table work?

PS - Get a Denon Dl160 and Suniko headshell with this table, you will not regret it. I started with a more expensive cart and wound up ordering the Denon cart.

Tigerwood has great advice. To answer your question, no no no. Todays thorens is not the vintage thorens. A lower priced brand new thorens is not the way to go! If you have not looked at my system profile you will find that I am still using a low end technics from 1979 that has never given me any problems at all. It is not even a recommended model for vintage tables today, but wtf, it has always worked for me and the cost of ownership is approaching zero, and my vinyl is in great shape from the time.

With a 1000 dollar budget I would look at both new and used. Check out offerings by Rega, Pro-Ject and Music Hall. Personally I'd go with belt drive over direct drive, but that is just me...you get what you want. If you are dilligent you might just be able to snag a VPI Scout for 1K http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1217976829 I seem to remember seeing one from time to time go for $950. This basis 1400 for $800 was an absolute steal considering it came with the $300 dollar basis clamp, and a 200 dollar or more arm.

Depending on how picky you are about pitch, and oh yeah, what you mentioned about ease of use, a quartz lock direct drive is the way to go. My direct drive is the old servo lock and yet is still very solid. Maybe I am lucky to live in a place with good electric feed? But in 30 years I have never had to replace a belt, (duh) or worry about arms and whatnot.

Depending on how picky you are about pitch, and oh yeah, what you mentioned about ease of use, a quartz lock direct drive is the way to go. My direct drive is the old servo lock and yet is still very solid. Maybe I am lucky to live in a place with good electric feed? But in 30 years I have never had to replace a belt, (duh) or worry about arms and whatnot.

I second that. I tried the expensive stuff and never really liked it.

Oldtimer,

Well, Fed Ex lost the AT 440 cart and you got a refund. You really should try a Denon Dl160 and the Sumiko Headshell. You can get both for about $200. I was using a pretty expensive Micro MC Cart that was a loaner and on a whim bought the Denon 160. It is in a different class than the AT 440, and teh AT400 was a good cart, especially for the money. My soundstage goes way wider than the speakers (and walls for that matter - my Dynavector and VPI did not do this) and lots of air between instruemnts. The biggest thing is that this cart is just plain alive. Lots of dynamics. I just love it. I can safely say that this cart on the Technics table sounds better than the Dynavector 20x on the VPI Scout that I had.

I would have to recommend against against that Oracle Delphi. Regardless of how good of a turntable that may be, this particular one has too much wrong with it to justify spending that much on it. It's become something of a project turntable- wrong parts, rust spots! Yuck. I could never stand spending $1,000 for anything with rust on it other than a classic car.

-Jon