Good Setup?

Khalazar

Hi to all. I'm new to the forum, as well as to the Klipsch line.

I'm thinking of purchasing some speakers for our soon to be home theater room. Our room is aprox. 10 x 15.

The setup i'm looking at is ...

RF-82, RC-52,RS-42 and RW10D. I don't have a receiver yet so any input on this would be great as well.

Would a set of RF-82's for the rears be overkill?

Any info would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. I think you are on the right track with that size of a room. The only recommendations is that you really consider the RC-62 as opposed to the RC-52. If you look at this page,you will see that Klipsch recommends the RC-62, RS-52 and RSW-10d to go with the RF-82's. I think you could get away with the RS-42 and even the RW-10d but being that the center channel will deliver about 80% of content when you are watching a movie, you need to buy the best center you can afford. Klipsch also recommends the RC-62 with the RF-82's because they are timbr matched meaning they have the same sound, crossovers, and family of drivers etc.You want the front stage to seemlessly blend in with each other. Just my 2 cents.

I will have to agree with Youthman in his suggestion of you getting the RC-62.

If you are shopping at BB/Mag*****, they now carry the 62(saw on website). For that matter

they also carry the RS-52. I don't know your budget but just a suggestion.

Bill

• Moderators

If you are shopping at BB/Mag*****, they now carry the 62(saw on website).

Wow! It's about time. I never understood why their demo room has the RF-82's with the RC-52. IMO, it just cannot keep up with the RF-82's. It's about time they got their act together.

the BB by my house still has the 82's with the 52 and no surrounds. i went into there yesterday and asked to demo them. i got to listen to pink floyd for all of 2 minutes. as if i anyone could make a decision that quick. i really can't stand BB or most of the employees. no offense to the few that have a clue.

as far as the speaker choice, i agree with everyone so far, if you are getting the 82's get the 62 with it. surrounds don't matter that much and the smaller room doesn't need as big as sub.

if money is tight you can also go down the the rf-62's matched with the rc-62. you would only hear a difference between the 82's and 62's in a 2 channel set up. in a movie type set up you won't ear a difference mainly because you will have your sub crossover set around 80hz. (i like mine at 70hz)

good luck.....oh and Welcome to the Forums!

Hi to all. I'm new to the forum, as well as to the Klipsch line.

I'm thinking of purchasing some speakers for our soon to be home theater room. Our room is aprox. 10 x 15. The setup i'm looking at is ...

RF-82, RC-52,RS-42 and RW10D. I don't have a receiver yet so any input on this would be great as well. Would a set of RF-82's for the rears be overkill?

Any info would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

If you're thinking of this in terms of a movie/music combination room concentrate on what you want for your front (r/l) speakers and center channel. Then match the correct surrounds (2 or 4 speakers depending on what you want.) From what I see you've mixed and matched some speakers from different lines. I personally wouldn't do this as the harmonics won't be the same and there is a reason Klipsch pairs speakers together in order to get the best sound. As far as using the RF-82's for rear speakers...yes that is over kill and not needed.

My suggestion is pick a price you can spend on the room then build from there. A room of that size I would do a 5.1 system of the RF-82 home theater room setup Klipsch has. You could probably do something similiar as my room minus a couple surrounds:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/42024.aspx?PageIndex=98

Wow! Thanks folks. This gives me alot to consider. The reason the set is mismatched is the my wife works

for a retailer that has a killer employee discount on the Klipsch line and this is the top of their existing stock.

I'll see if I can get the correct set up ordered.

Any thoughts as to a good receiver? Price on this is a little limited.

Thanks again

i'll chime in. there are 4 avr's that are suggested. Denon, Yahama, Pioneer Elite, and Onkyo. each has strengths and weakness. i think (my opinion) they will all do an equal job (the ones in the same line) for most people on this forum. now if you have an elite pair of speakers (RF-83's, RF-63's, THX Ultra 2's) then your receiver choice should be a little picky. (i think) you should pick your system equal, meaning if you have good mid grade speakers, get a good mid grade receiver. (i think) it does no good to spend unnecessary money on a high end receiver for mid grade level speakers.

now in your case...i too am considering buying the RF-82's, RC-64, RS-42;s (4ea), and with those speakers i chose the Onkyo 805. my reason is the AVR's in it's class are all $200-$450 more. the 805 doesn't have video upscale, but if you are doing all HDMI connectors, you don't need video upscale, your Blu-ray or HD player will do it for you. you also don't need 140watts to drive most, if any, klipsch speakers, the 805 has 130watts. i can get the 805 for $600 new, and i feel i will be very happy with it, especally since i am a movie only guy.

another thing to consider, when i do buy what ever speakers i finally decide on, i will also buy an amp. i plan on getting the acurus 200x3 amp to drive the sound stage and let the receiver power the surrounds only. that way the receiver works less, and i will get a good clean sound out of the front.

congrats on the internal hook up. i wish my wife could get me discounts on my speakers! that has got to be one big plus in the colum for her!

btw.....WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Thanks for the info. Man and here I thought getting a nice system would be a piece of cake. As to the wife, I knew there was a reason I married her.

I'm thinking of going with Denon or Yamaha. I'm not rich.... and if it weren't for the staff discount well I'd be stuck with the $300 home theater in a box I've had for the past 4 years. I guess I can shop at the competitors but I'd be in the dog house for sure.

Thanks again for the great info. It has helped alot. I'll post what I ended up buying in a few days.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. Man and here I thought getting a nice system would be a piece of cake. As to the wife, I knew there was a reason I married her.

I'm thinking of going with Denon or Yamaha. I'm not rich.... and if it weren't for the staff discount well I'd be stuck with the $300 home theater in a box I've had for the past 4 years. I guess I can shop at the competitors but I'd be in the dog house for sure.

Thanks again for the great info. It has helped alot. I'll post what I ended up buying in a few days.

Cheers

I have to chime in again regarding the receivers. For HT/Movies that are not in 1080p you need to think about how you're going to upscale any DVD's you have or your cable signal. I would go with these in this order:

1. Onkyo (875 or 905): Simply the best video upscaler (Reon-HQV) for any SD DVD or signal from your cable company.
  2. Denon (5308 and up): Use the Realta HQV high end upscaler. Cons with this is simply cost. You can get the Onkyo for a fraction of the cost of the Denon.
  3. Denon (2308 to 4808): Uses the DCDi Faroudja mid level upscaler. Cons with this is lower quality video upscaling than the Reon and costs more than the Onkyo.
  4. Yamaha (1800, 3800, and up): Uses ABT (Anchor Bay Technology) 1010 upscaler. Hands down the worst you can buy. ABT produces a high end upscaler but for whatever reason Yamaha chooses not to use them in any of their lines including the $5k rx-z11 receiver. Here is a blurb about ABT 1010:

The ABT1010 is Anchor Bay Technologies' second generation video scaling chip that is targeted at low-cost DVD player/recorder applications requiring up-conversion from 480p/576p to high-definition formats including 1080p.

Now, if upscaling isn't a concern for you....go with whatever you can afford. The Denons would be my choice if that was the case.

My personal choice would be the Yamaha Rxv-663 I'm a fan of Yamaha and have used mine for a while with no problems. Whatever you get make sure to get one that has pre-outs so you can add an amp to it later if you want to. Klipsch speakers will get really loud with just 3 or 4 watts and my Yamaha is rated for 120 per channel, but adding an external 200x2 amp made an amazing difference. Just a cleaner sound overall.