Why not a 5.1 system and how to make one with....

Janko

Hi there.

Does anybody know when there will be a 5.1 digital system.

I just saw that there is a separate center connecter on the Hercules gametheater xp,so can't you just plug an active speaker in there and then connect the Klipsch 4.1 system normally, and vupti there you have it, an 5.1 system.

Any comments are welcome...

*Sigh*

This has been asked a gazillion times...

The Philips Acoustic Edge also has a center channel...

I think the idea here is to use the 2.1's as a center channel, but that idea has a number of flaws in it...

Anyways, you don't NEED a center channel unless the speakers are 8+ feet away.

But Klipsch surely knows the demand for a 5.1 system...however, there is no word on if they are gonna do anything on it.

------------------

"Feh."

Zathras

just checked the soundblaster web page and it only said that there is

Microphone In Yes

Line In Yes

Line Out (Front)/Speaker Out Yes

Line Out (Rear) Yes

MIDI/Joystick Port Yes

MPC3 CD Audio In Yes

Auxiliary In Yes

S/PDIF In Yes

Telephone Answering Device (TAD) In

so I don't think so, but, it's only a guess....

Have Fun

Thanks Janko.

I found this Acoustic Edge review at Gamersdepot:

http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/sound_cards/philips/acoustic_edge/001.htm

They have some great pictures of the connectors on the card.

From the review:

"The card itself uses a slightly different way to attach speakers, using a cable with a mini-DIN attachment on one end, and with three female stereo connectors coming out of the other. The three cables are labeled for Front L/R, Rear L/R, and Center/Sub. This will allow you to hook up almost any set of PC speakers on the market, making this the most flexible sound card weve ever seen. Compare this to the Creative SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1 we reviewed a while back. That card had a proprietary out that only allowed you to attach those horrible Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 speakers to get 5.1 sound."

Cool. Now that the Klipsch 4.1's are out the question now is what speaker to use for the center channel? I know many have said use a set of Klipsch 2.1's, but that seems like overkill to me. Can anyone recommend a single center speaker to go with the Klipsch 4.1's?

---

I just read through that review. Damn, the AE comes with a version of PowerDVD and I just bought WinDVD for $50. Oh, well.

The review also mentions using three Klipsch 2.1 speaker sets for a 6.3 system using the AE's outputs for left, right, and center channels. Man, what would that sound like?

WHOAAAAA what a card, think I'm ganna go with this baby, the 4.1 system and an acitve Hifi subwoofer and ehhh Well the front, i dunno frown.gif

6.3 well think it's gonna be a bit to much bass in that system, but that's only my opinion..

Things are clering up....

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Yes.. the Sound cards do have an output for center/sub .

The digital out acts as the center/sub channel.

The left channel is for center.. the right is for the sub.

If you hook up a set of speakers to the digital output, go into Crative's surround mixer and select 5.1 speakers and push Test, you will hear front left/right and rear left/right coming from the right speaker and Center from the left.

This means that the center channel is the left stereo output and teh sub is the right. The reason you still hear front and rear from the right is that the soundcard sends the front/rear signal to the sub also in order to get the low bass frequencies of the surround effects sent to the sub.

So the SBLive all support a 5.1 channel analogue speaker system as well as a digital system so it is easy to hook up a center and extra sub to the Pros

------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

Pro 4.1 are comin!!!!!!!!

Great info Paragon.

Do you have a link to Creative that explains this? You would think they would make this more clear.

I was just about to get the Philips AE, but I figure I'll wait until I get the Klipsch 4.1's first and see how they sound on my old SB Live! Value 4.1 card.

I'd probably rather get the SB Live! X-Gamer over the Philips AE for the better EAX surround sound support. I'm sure I'd be happy with either card though.

Why did the Gamersdepot review of the Acoustic Edge make it sound like it was the only card capable of supporting 5.1 sound with all speakers? Janko is right, it is a jungle of misinformation out there.

On the box, it says:

Analog / Digital Out (Analog Center & Subwoofer / 6-channel S/PDIF Output)Also.. page 11 in the manual expalins that the default for the Analog/Digital output is set to Analog.

Also.. This test was with Bass redirection selected . If you unselect it, you will not hear the Front/rear audibles through the right channel.

I think if you have large speakers unselecting BassRedirection will cause teh bass to go to the 5 surround speakers instead of the Sub

------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W