OT: Removing liquid nails from laminate Formica

endover

I've just replaced my 1978 urine yellow kitchen countertops with new Formica tops. Since granite would put me over the budget, I measured my countertops and gave the dimensions to Home Depot. Two weeks later, I got updated nice looking Formica countertops. I installed them myself this weekend and it turned out super nice but I've got two questions (or 3 ish).

1. I used Liquid Nails to glue the two large countertop pieces together and the adhesive squeezed out up onto the Formica. How do I removed the dried Liquid Nails without damagin the Formica? This Formica is not a flat surfacel. It has tiny surface features etched into it so scraping won't work.
There's a product called Liquid Nails remover but it says not to use on plastics...

2. Sort of the same question as number one but I'd like to clean some of the extra GE silicone caulk off that squished out around the sink.

3. The new Formica has a slight haze to it and I was told (by an UNreliable source) that you could wipe them down with mineral spirits to bring out the fresh shine. Can anyone confirm that the mineral spirits will work and will NOT harm the Formica?

You folks have any good input on any of these questions? By the way...Home Depot did an awesome job on making the counters. Every detail was accounted for.

Edit:

Fini (see below in the thread) inspired me to edit this post.

The solvents like acetone, MEK, toluene, and products containing them (maybe Goof Off) can be very hazardous from a standpoint of what the vapors can do to your body/brain and the fire hazard. They must be used with great attention to the hazards.

Please do take all precautions as listed on the can. That will include at least gloves, maybe an organic respirator, plenty of ventilation, and removal of all potential sources of ignition. Any electrical switch (save explosion proof) can be a source. Don't forget pilot lights and smokers.

Naturally that goes for all settings. However, a well ventilated garage is one thing. A kitchen is potentially a far more hazardous setting. More sources of ignition and less air flow.

I have run across a case where a fellow used MEK in a room with an ordinary power strip to run electrical equipment. When he operated the switch, the MEK fumes were touched off.

I've checked the power strips (surge protectors) on the market. Some warn about hazards from water in the form of a prohibition of use with aquariums. None speak of use in settings using flammable solvents. Power strips are usually postioned on the floor and that is where the fumes settle.

So, like they say on TV: Be careful out there.

My original post is as follows.

- - - -

They always say to experiment on a hidden spot to determine whether a cleaner will hurt the subject. I was at HD this morning and they had a rack of samples of Formica, about 1" x 3". These were Formica Premium material. Some looked like shale or flagstone with that texture. Maybe this is what you have? If you wipe the acetone on a sample with a piece of paper towel, and there is no residue on the paper towel, I'd say you're okay.

Formica used to be glue in place with a nasty contact cement. Acetone or laquer thiner was used to take off excess glue. I've used that and "Goo Off" with no harm to the Formica. Edit, it was Goof Off.

One last thought is to find something which LN sticks to better than it sticks to Formica. I don't know what that might be. Plaster?

I believe your friend is correct that mineral oil (ordinary lemon oil type polish) will give it a sheen. I used that on some flat black Wilson Art. The problem is that the oil will eventually evaporate.

Gil

I've used that and "Goo Off" with no harm to the Formica.

Gil, I think you've combined two products here: Goof Off and Goo Gone. Goo Gone is the milder, citrus-based concoction, while Goof Off is pretty nasty stuff (gloves and mask highly recommended). Can you remember which it was?

2. Sort of the same question as number one but I'd like to clean some of the extra GE silicone caulk off that squished out around the sink.

Ooh, I wish you'd asked before using it. The best time to clean up excess is when it's just placed and uncured. I've got some excellent tips for that.

Thank for that observation Fini. I corrected my post to show Goof Off. And I'll go back to mention fire hazards and inhalation hazards.

No I did not use so much that my grey matter devoted to the letter "f" got wiped out. Smile.

I was VERY remiss in not pointing out the hazards of using such strong solvents, particularly indoors, in the kitchen. These have low flash points and kitchens have sources of ignition.

Just now I tried to look up the MSDS on Goof Off on the Velspar site. It appears they want 10 digits of info from the bar code area before giving up the information. Bad policy in my view.

It may well be that it contains acetone, toluene, or MEK. All bad stuff, I'll agree.

It somewhat alarming to me that our female friends have for decades be using acetone in the form of nail polish remover. As a kid we all used toluene based airplane glue.

Gil

It somewhat alarming to me that our female friends have for decades be using acetone in the form of nail polish remover. As a kid we all used toluene based airplane glue.

Gil

Didn't you get a lumpy nail finish using glue?

[;)]

Okay Fini,

I was with you until your last comment on the lumpy nail finish thing? HUH? Also...I have yet to caulk the backsplashes so (while I'm still waiting on good tips for getting dried stuff off my countertops) what tips do you have on getting fresh caulk safely off Formica?

I'm assuming when you folks are recommending these chemical cleaners, you're fairly confident they won't harm the laminate?????????? I have emailed customer service at Wilsonart who makes the laminate (not really Formica) so I will see what they have to say. I'm still open for suggestions though so keep the comments coming.

Maybe mask off the places where the squeeze out is likely to occur?

Gil

Yes, that's part of it, and will work real well by itself with water-cleanup caulks (siliconized acrylic, etc). With 100% silicone rubber caulk, you mask off the area where you don't want the caulking (like, 1/16" or 1/8" either side of the coutertop/backsplash joint). Apply the caulking to the joint. Here's the awesome tip: Fill a spray bottle with denatured alcohol. Spray it on the freshly-laid silicone, and spray your index finger. Wipe the joint, and wipe the excess caulk (on your finger) onto a paper towel. Repeat as necessary, keeping your finger wet with alcohol. When you've wiped up as much as you can of the excess caulk, carefully remove the tape (before the silicone cures).

Okay Fini,

I was with you until your last comment on the lumpy nail finish thing? HUH? Also...I have yet to caulk the backsplashes so (while I'm still waiting on good tips for getting dried stuff off my countertops) what tips do you have on getting fresh caulk safely off Formica?

I guess I should have said, "lumpy finger nail finish"... You know, like Gil and his pals did their nails with glue. Well, if I have to 'splain it...Uh, I guess it actually was never too funny...[*-)]

Even though I would probably have more fun with the grinding wheel idea, my wife would probably not enjoy it as much as me so I thought it would be in my best interest to email both liquid nails and Wilsonart (actual laminate manufacturer) and see what they had to say.

Liquid nails responded within 15 minutes of my email and said heat, petroleum jelly or mineral spirits would work if allowed to soak for a short time. It will soften the liquid nails and then it could be lifted with a plastic knife. Wilsonart responded the same day and said acetone should work to remove the haze and leave the counters clean so I'm going to give things a try tonight. Both groups recommended cleaning up the chemicals with soap and water immediately after the task was completed.

Thanks for your input!

I'm still in caulking mode so I need some time to get things back together (and to get the dishwasher back in). I don't want to set you up for something huge 'cause it's just a counter redo but it's a major improvement over what it was before. It is amazing what a well placed $1,500 bill will get you! I'll get some pics loaded sometime next week. I have major kitchen plans to knock down walls, install an island, put in new cabinets and upgrade to granite countertops but that's years away. This will keep us happy for quite a while! We just finished a large master bathroom and family room remodel (and I'm still getting my home theater situated) so we're out-o-money!