Recommend a new pre-amp or receiver

wuzzzer

After having my Rotel pre-amp for a while I am finding that it is way too laid back, the highs are rolled off big time. Even my wife comments that it doesn't sound good. I know its not my amp, because I used my previous receiver (Harman/Kardon HK3480 that was about 3 years old) as a pre-amp and the highs were much clearer with it.

So, here's where I sit: (You can see the list of my setup in my sig below)

Thought #1) Sell both Rotel pieces (amp & pre-amp) and also sell my Cambridge Audio CD player. I could get roughly $500-550 total for all three. I would then use this money for a nice receiver or integrated amp. I would look at something with digital inputs and something with good D/A convertors and would use either my HD-DVD player or PS3 as a CD player.

Thought #2) Sell just the pre-amp and CD player. I could get roughly $250-300 for them. I would then use the money for a pre-amp that is of better quality than my current one, again using the HD or PS3 for CDs.

I really miss the openness and clear highs that these Fortes used to have. In order to get my wife to jump on board to this I know I won't be able to spend anything above and beyond whatever I get for selling the stuff I currently have.

If you go with Thought #1, I suggest the Onkyo TX-SR805. Burr-Brown DACS and most of current a/v features available. 130w/channel and dual PUSH-PULL design amp. All for $550.00 to $650.00. Big and heavy receiver @ 49 pounds. I have the TX-SR705 and am very pleased with performance.

Bill

After having the HK it's gonna be hard to settle for less.I've not heard the Rotel set you have but my old 1068 was not laid back,just not too bright.I have an Onkyo 805,don't sound too hot for music,certainly not as good as my old HK 630/635,of course imo.Good luck,I'm sure you'll find something,lot's in the pipeline.

I forgot to add that I'm somewhat leaning towards a surround-sound receiver so that if I stumble on a good deal on a center channel or surrounds I'll finally be able to enter that world. I'm giving a strong look towards Outlaw Audio and Cambridge Audio receivers.

If I recall correctly, you live in the Twin Cities right?

If you would like, I have an extra S.S. Pre-amp made by Audio By Van Alstine (Also of Minnesota) - If you want to borrow it for a free test drive you are welcome to do so. If it works in your system and you decide you want it, you can buy it from me for $400. I think it was around $650 originally. It is an Omega III EC and looks similar to the current Omegastar. There is a review of it here Omega III Pre-amp

Van Alstine gear used to be my Favorite gear before I got into Tubes and SET amps.

Let me know if you want to pick up and try the pre-amp.

If I recall correctly, you live in the Twin Cities right?

If you would like, I have an extra S.S. Pre-amp made by Audio By Van Alstine (Also of Minnesota) - If you want to borrow it for a free test drive you are welcome to do so. If it works in your system and you decide you want it, you can buy it from me for $400. I think it was around $650 originally. It is an Omega III EC and looks similar to the current Omegastar. There is a review of it here Omega III Pre-amp

Van Alstine gear used to be my Favorite gear before I got into Tubes and SET amps.

Let me know if you want to pick up and try the pre-amp.

Thanks for the generous offer. I live a little north of the Twin Cities. I what I'm probably leaning towards at this point is a surround-sound receiver. I definitely need something with a remote.

The Cambridge CD is towards the smooth side (I have that unit) and the Rotels have a smooth sound in my experience. You might want to try a few different interconnect cables like one of the Kimber copper or silver if you want even more top end. You can do a lot of sound contouring with a cable change. The right cable (speaker wire also) can make a system go from flat sounding to something full of life. It's cheaper than buying new gear.

Thanx,

Russ