Upgrading E-2 Crossovers

TommyC

Below is a pic of the crossover out of one of my Heresies. I freely admit that I know nothing about this subject, so what I would like is for someone to explain what is involved in upgrading these and which components should be changed. Thanks!!

Crossover1.jpg

Crossover2.jpg

The inductor (device on the left) and the autotransformer (device on the right) do not really wear out, so they are fine. You should replace the three capacitors (the three devices near the center of the board). Use a good quality polypropylene for the two 2uF caps and a non-polarized electrolytic for the 33 uF. That will put it back to at least good as new condition and perhaps a bit better.

Bob Crites

Thanks, Bob. I was hoping you would answer! One more question, though. I notice in shopping for Caps that there are different Volt ratings for a given uF cap. The ones on my Crossover say 2uF 180 VACM and 33uF 100 V. Do I need to find replacements with the same exact ratings?

Thanks, Bob. I was hoping you would answer! One more question, though. I notice in shopping for Caps that there are different Volt ratings for a given uF cap. The ones on my Crossover say 2uF 180 VACM and 33uF 100 V. Do I need to find replacements with the same exact ratings?

General rule of thumb - as long as the voltage values are greater than or equal to the existing voltage values you should be fine. [:D]

-D

Any voltage rating of 100 volts or more will be fine. If you would want to use Sonicaps, I could make up a kit for you with mounting blocks for the caps.

Bob Crites

Interestingly, I just upgraded a pair of E2 networks for a client (they had the old oil caps on them), but his did not have the 33uF cap on them. Neither does the Klipsch "official" schematic have any indication of a 33uF cap on the woofer circuit. What gives? Different version?

Chris

Chris, it's possible you got a hold of a pair that had been taken back to the Type E by a previous owner.

Why does the 33uF have to be non-polarized?

Because crossovers are AC (voltage goes one way and then the other).

I am the original owner of a pair of Heresy I's. I purchased them in 1976, and I am just rediscovering the pleasure of listening to them. I am making plans to replace the binding posts, and am now figuring that while I have the backs opened (that will be a first), I should probably replace the caps. So, I am anticipating needing two 2.0 uf caps and one 33 uf cap for each speaker. Right now I am thinking of placing an order with Parts Express for:

2 pairs of Dayton binding posts, BPT-38G

4 Dayton PMPC 2.0 caps

2 Jantzen 33.0 caps

From what I'm reading here, it is probably wise for me to wait to place my order until after I've opened my Heresy's and see exactly what my crossover looks like.

Any advice appreciated.

Wm

Any reason why I should avoid the Dayton caps and go instead with something else (more expensive)? Thanks.

Wm

I have used them in other crossovers and I think they are a little softer sounding compared to Solens I've tried.

Not much help? I can say that I tried Audiocap Thetas in these Heresys and found them to be harsh.

I'm happy with the oil caps I ultimately installed, but those are unobtanium. I recently found a reference for these Cornell Dubiler

film foil caps which I may try in the future:

AudioHeritage Post

But I think Bob Crites knows what works!

Thanks, skywave rider, that is helpful. I am hoping to begin this project this weekend, opening up my 1976 Heresys for the first time.

I noticed you have a Trends amp. I live near Audio-magus and have listened to and been very impressed by the sound of those T amps. I also listened to the Glow Amp one, also very nice. Just last week I received a Nuforce Icon, $200. Really very nice. My old amp is a Denon PMA 850 (c 1979) integrated amp, which I recently had refurbished, made a big difference, sounds solid state, but I expect it will warm up as is it burns in some.

Wm

• 2 weeks later...