Upgrading E-2 Crossovers

TommyC

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, I replaced my caps in the E crossovers with the Daytons, and after a couple weeks they are really sounding good. My wife still complains a little as the speakers are a little on the bright side. Do you offer a crossover that takes some of the edge off? I'm interested in making further improvements if that can be done. Thanks.

Wm

• 9 years later...

I know this is an old discussion, but I'm doing exactly the same, replacing capacitors on my Klipsch E-2 Crossovers. Here is my question: once I connected the capacitors, one of them reads fine 2.0 mfd, but the other one jumps up to 39 mfd. this is the cap connected to the positive input and choke. Are things right? Did I install something wrong? Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, musicgeorge11 said:

I know this is an old discussion, but I'm doing exactly the same, replacing capacitors on my Klipsch E-2 Crossovers. Here is my question: once I connected the capacitors, one of them reads fine 2.0 mfd, but the other one jumps up to 39 mfd. this is the cap connected to the positive input and choke. Are things right? Did I install something wrong? Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Are you measuring the caps in circuit?

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, musicgeorge11 said:

Yes. Sorry if this is a dumb question, the readings threw me off because one of them reads fine in the 2.0 mfd range.

Not a stupid question, that is how we all learn.  You will need to measure any component out of circuit.

• 5 months later...

Just upgraded Heresy ones built in '84 with E-2 crossovers with new Solen caps.  I agree that they do sound better.  If I had to describe, I would say smoother.  BTW, they sounded killer before the upgrade....just sound better now.  Yes, you can hear the difference.

Above recap set me back a whapping $15.  As an electrical engineer, my opinion is why pay $100 or more for caps.  The circuit won't know the difference.  It just sees the electrical value of the component and responds accordingly. I am sure that an audible difference exists between various caps, just not enough to matter to me.  The peddlers will let you pay $100's for this upgrade if it makes you feel better about your system. Your call.

Edited by BobbyRock
More to say