Listened too & ordered RF7's today

Deang

The hardest part of upgrading on a limited budget is having to decide what to upgrade.

Last week I started gathering all of my money together, and had my heart set on a AE-25 - but chickened out, fearing I wouldn't be able to drive the speakers to a satisfactory level.

So I decided to keep my Anthem gear, and started looking at the possibility of a speaker upgrade. The RC7's I'm running right now are 98dbw, and I was thinking that if I could jack my efficiency up - I could maybe get that AE-25 down the road.

All of the Heritage posts make my crazy. I covet the efficiency, but when you get right down to it, I really don't favor the overall sound that much. Sorry guys - maybe it's a mental block.

So...I tread over to Carlin Audio today to give the RF7's a serious listen. I haven't been much on floor standers in the past, and as a matter of fact - I have never owned a set in my life. I don't care for long resonating panels or dual driven drivers. This may be a mental block also - but you know how this hobby is - you get something in your head and well you know.

I originally bought the RC7's because I liked the two 8's and the smaller cabinet - and I never really gave the RF7's a serious listen. They only became a serious consideration last week when I made the commitment to stay with tubes.

At any rate - Carlin has the RF7's tied into some very nice looking Integra gear. $3K CD/DVD player. $5K 7 channel amplifier & $4K preamp/processor. I listened with the sub and processor elements bypassed in two channel mode.

I first listened to Rush Moving Pictures. Loads of serious deep bass and instrumentation perfect for judging slam and transient attack. I then listened to Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason, mostly because I know the material so well. I finished with Queensryche's Silent Lucidity.

My listening session lasted less than an hour and culminated with an order for a set in Maple.

To my ears - they are simply the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. Open, powerful, detailed, and smooth - oh so smooth.

Certainly not the dynamics of a K-horn, Belle, or LaScala - but hey, there is more to good sound than dynamics. The RF7's have a satisfying amount of everything.

In a word - I think they are incredible.

------------------

deanG

This message has been edited by deang on 01-22-2002 at 08:45 PM

Awsome! I hope your happy with your set up. However, I don't agree that the Klipsch RF7's are the best speakers. Just the best for the money, as with all Klipsch. I have friends with RF3's, which I find impressive. Very, for that price.

What did you have before??

Gary,

------------------

Music system:(2 ch)

1 pair of Dynaudio Evidences, Krell Master Reference Subwoofer, 2 Mark Levinson No. 33 amps, Mark Levinson No. 32 pre amp, Jadis JD-1 CD player, LINN Sondek lp12 turntable, (SACD on the way) McIntosh MR7084 tuner, and Nakamichi ZX-9 tape.

Movie system: (7.1 ch)

4 KLIPSCHORNS(left, right, rear right, rear center, La Scala center, left, right, rear. McIntosh MX130 preamp, Bryston 7B ST's all around. Aerial Acoustics Model SW12 Subwoofer.

PC audio set up.

Denon 5800, klipsch RB5's, RC3's. and Rs3's. Klipsch KSW 15 Subwoofer.

Nice systems Gary - are you related to Ears Smile.gif

I listened to Magnepans for most of the 80's and 90's and made the move to Klipsch a few years ago.

I started with some RB5's and a Boston PV1000 sub.

Then went to a pair of RC7's

and now the RF7's

I also listened to some $8K McIntosh floor standers that made the RF7's look short in comparison. They actually sounded a little 'dry' to me.

The RF7's are VERY good for the money.

It would take a considerable amount of money to best them.

------------------

deanG

Gary,

LOL

Your "systems" description belongs in Dreams R Us section. cwm27.gif

"Music systemFrown.gif2 ch)

1 pair of Dynaudio Evidences, Krell Master Reference Subwoofer, 2 Mark Levinson No. 33 amps, Mark Levinson No. 32 pre amp, Jadis JD-1 CD player, LINN Sondek lp12 turntable, (SACD on the way) McIntosh MR7084 tuner, and Nakamichi ZX-9 tape.

Movie system: (7.1 ch)

4 KLIPSCHORNS(left, right, rear right, rear center, La Scala center, left, right, rear. McIntosh MX130 preamp, Bryston 7B ST's all around. Aerial Acoustics Model SW12 Subwoofer.

PC audio set up.

Denon 5800, klipsch RB5's, RC3's. and Rs3's. Klipsch KSW 15 Subwoofer."

Ok so you have all this gear,hmmm your PC sound system fits the description of my PC system! How bizarre.

Hmmmm would you not call yourself the Highlander on the Neoseeker audio board?

LOL

If you have what you claim to have then...more power to ya.All who buy Dynaudio and Klipsch deserve two thumbs up. Smile.gif...oh and how is this Krell MRS sub? Anything to say to TV in the subwoofer section,did you measure its output at 20Hz...does it reach 120db ..IN ROOM?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I did the deed as well, trading in my RF-3s for a pair of Cherry RF-7s, well, as soon as they come in I will, around the end of Feb.

Still debating on changing my RC3 to the RC7, the place I'm getting them say that the RC3 will do the job and not to worry, but I can try them and later if I find they don't do the trick, upgrade at that time...so now, the long wait!

The other problem I have is the sub I have, ksw12, not sure if I should trade in for a 15"? I picked the 12 for it's quick response when playing music but I think it will lack for HT...what do you guys think?

G2

actually...i wouldn't consider the ksw series necessarily 'musical' - i see them more as decent HT subs.

The ksw's rumble just fine - it's tight, articulated sound that they lack.

You might want to start saving for a RSW10, 12, or 15 Smile.gif

------------------

deanG

Gary and Ears have the cash flow to create these awesome systems we can only make suggestions about; we could hope to find some of the components(like the Linn turntable) at a garage sale in a few years.

The hot subs I have heard:

Martin Logan

Paradigm Servo 15

Big M&K cannot remember the model

ones I have heard good recomendations:

REL

SVS

I have a Rava from Adire Audio for $ 399.00 looks like a generic version of an M&K sealed 12 inch sub. I would not consider it an audiophile sub but it is far from a commodity piece of equipment.

I am waiting for my buddie to sell me his Servo 15 when he gets tired of it in the next year or two.

Mobile Home,

Sorry dude I only have a Blueberry Rat Shack AM pocket radio. cwm25.gif

I will get a good digital Canon cam this year and post some pics.My systems are not mythical,just plenty of components.The only "mythical" piece would be the big Krell.The rest is just good quality.

Klipschy "system" reads like a B. Gates system,I mean come on Dynaudio Evidence!? These are over 80 grand! And the rest of the components are around 200 grand.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Well, I have never been a sub fan at all as some of you on here might know. I just dont like the way it integrates with the rest of the system, especially if you have something like top notch 2A3 tube amps, where a sub can seemingly remove some of the speed, openness, articulation, and agility of an extremely fast setup. A 2A3 monoblock with horns is a bit hard to mate, no matter how low it is crossed.

That being said, I have been making web pages about subs the past month or so and took delievery of some excellent Adire Audio drivers, the latest being the massive Maelstrom.

signature_subs_247.jpg

Take a look at this BEAST that sounds insane with looks to match. I have not been able to get the finished Signature Series edition but will imagine it will find its way down here sometime. From what I hear(have been told), it is an EXCELLENT sub.

Link to site: http://www.diycable.com/signature_subs.htm

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Mobile,

Not bad,and the price is low too! The driver looks like its a serious piece,no decorations just functionality.The cabinet very nice.

Must sound quite good.

Well about the sub thing,there are some better subs out there(like the Aerial SW12)and these will make any tubey change his mind.

Thanks for the link Mobile

TheEAR(s) Now theears