Do You Bi-Wire?! Is there a benefit?!

lboogie76

I know this question has been asked and answered many times. I tried to find a thread on the subject but, no luck. Maybe I just missed it.

Do any of the Klipsch Brethren out there bi-wire your Klipsch speakers? Is there a discernable difference or is it just snake-oil?

post-31531-13819381345592_thumb.jpg

post-31531-13819392759494_thumb.jpg

I do, and I can absolutely hear the difference on my RF-63s. I setup my Cornwall IIs for Tri-wire - seperating the 3 sections of the crossover from each other. There was less of a difference on the cornwalls than the 63s, but there was still a difference. I just use multiple runs of 14 guage copper speaker wire for my own handmade biwire/triwire.

You really should try it. Trust your own ears. For less than $10 you can build your own biwires and try it. Only you can tell if you will hear a difference.

Kimball

I respect loud and clear's opinion. I like my bi-wired RF-7's with anti cables. Not that expensive and a great speaker cable. BTW, the speakers in the pic would sound better if the crappy legs were removed and the spikes put on.

Here's one of probably hundreds of articles and/or opinions regarding the benefits of bi-wiring and bi-amping.

As you can see in the original post, I bi-wire my RF35's. Do I hear a difference between the conventional single wire connection and bi-wire connection?!

The difference is very subtle. The highs seemed to be a little more precise when bi-wiring. It is by no means a night and day difference. I'm quite sure if I bi-amped the speakers, of course taking in consideration the crossover configuration, the difference would be huge. Tell me what you think about the article.

Regards.

BenefitsofBi-wiringandBi-amping.pdf

BenefitsofBi-wiringandBi-amping.pdf

I've always been interested in bi-wiring. I have had bi-amped systems with active corssovers but I never tried just bi-wiring from a single amp. Can someone please elaborate on the differences or improvements you hear? Do you use any special wires.....like different wire for the HF than the LF.....or different gauges?

I tried it and posted here somewhere that it made a slight difference, especially when I used thick Coincident CST rattlesnakes to connect to my bass bins, then I passive bi-amped, with a monster s-s amp driving the bass bins full range and a 2A3 tube amp driving the mid and top horns and that really made a difference!

Dave that was more than I needed to know. Anyway one benefit would be redundancy, if you home is full of rodents with shark teeth who like to chew on speaker wires, well then it might be helpful. Or you could have your wires frozen and then sealed in rat poision.

• Moderators

Dave that was more than I needed to know. Anyway one benefit would be redundancy, if you home is full of rodents with shark teeth who like to chew on speaker wires, well then it might be helpful. Or you could have your wires frozen and then sealed in rat poision.

Not a bad idea there JB, it would also help with pets and small children ! [6]

My favorite is Bi-systems, a few amps and different pairs of speakers connected in the same room. 6.1 2.1 2.0

Biwire gets you nothing,,, Biamping gets you more power plus cleaner sound.

Thank you Maron, as I do own a nice pair of 15' Signal shot-gun bi-wires I doubt they make any more difference than a sigle lead pair with jumpers at the terminal post but I fell for it and luckily it only set me back $230 bones. I do know and am a firm believer as I've heard bi-amping with dual speaker leads and it does make a huge difference in the bi-amp config[;)]

Bi-wiring may be effective in the case of a speaker with long stroke woofers. The back EMF from the woofer can interfere with treble reproduction. Running separate wires to the HF and LF from the amplifier reduces this because the LF draws current only from the bass frequencies and the HF draws current from the treble frequencies, even though all frequencies are presented to both. Note that the so called bi-wires that split two outputs from one wire that goes back to the amplifier just a few inches from the speaker end, are completely bogus and are no better than a single wire hooked up conventionally.

None of the Klipsch Heritage speakers move the cone enough to cause back EMF problems.

As has been mentioned, bi-amping is a more effective method of improving performance with about any speaker but only if aligned and calibrated properly.

YMMV

I have never really believed in bi-wiring but I have a pair of monoblock amps on the way that have two bindign posts each to bi-wire and my speakers have bi-wire inputs so I guess I will give it a try. My amps site right next to my speakers so I can cut my 10' long cables in half if I decide that I like it.

The article that was posted is softball at best. No technical information, just a bunch of conclusions without any backup or explanation.