Marantz vs. Onkyo

wuzzzer

Yipers. I'm glad I waited to order the Onkyo. They are having a special 4th of July promotion...extra 10% off all refurbished items...plus I signed up for Club Onkyo and got 10 bonus points = $10. Total price of the receiver...$484.10 with free shipping...I think this is the bargain of a lifetime, folks!! [H] [:P] [<:o)] [Y]

It's a great deal,nothing close to new would compare at $484,make sure the 805 has the latest firmware(ask and cross fingers).There are stories of units sold from Onkyo with older firmware1.04 or earlier,which = issues.

can't you just update it?

i am at the site and i don't see it for that cheap....what am i missing?

never mind, i figured out you have to sign up to be a member. i feel weird about buying refurbed items....it's like i am buying someone elses broken junk. or maybe it's just me.....

I've bought a refurbished Kodak digital camera and a refurbished Harman/Kardon DVD player and never had a single problem with them. They carry the same warranty as an A stock item so if anything goes wrong its still covered.

• Moderators

The whole idea behind a refurb is that yes, something was broken. They replace that part and it is now not broken. Just because one part breaks doesn't mean the rest of it will. Even if you buy a new item, anything can break at anytime. That's where warranty's come in. I think as long as you have a warranty, you should be good to go. Refurbs do not equal Lemons. [:D]

Happy for ya wuzzzer. That's awesome man, great deal. We expect a full review after you've had it up and running for a bit.

can't you just update it?

Yes, you can update the firmware.

i feel weird about buying refurbed items....it's like i am buying someone elses broken junk. or maybe it's just me.....

Buying refurb is actually the best way to go. I work for a computer company and all of my notebooks/desktops I've purchased have been refurb's. I know the process they go through. And like Youthman said, they replace the part then put it through the same tests a new one would go through, and give it the same warranty. But, b/c it came back they can't sell it as new so they have to discount it. The other thing to realize (at least with my employer) is that any item that comes back (open box or not) is considered refurb. So, it's a possibility to have a refurb that was just simply buyers remorse.

That would be Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Thx. There are so many movies that I have not watched. I'll have to rent that one.

If it had really intense primary colors for the scenes than the movie may be HERO with Jet Li and the chick from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. The scene you are referring to was in a library with scrolls tied and he stomps the table...catches the cup on his sword...tosses it in the air...slices all of the ties holding the scrolls which causes the mountains of scrolls to fall. this is a great scene for testing your home theater as well.

• Like 1

• Moderators

the movie may be HERO with Jet Li and the chick from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Yes, I believe I remember seing the "Hero" logo on the main screen before I hit the "Play All" button. That was the scene you are describing. It was sweet. Very bright and detailed sound effects. Funny thing is that when the scrolls fell, there was a big rumble. Not sure paper scrolls make a rumble. LOL. It was fun to watch and experience though.

I found the trailer for Hero that shows both scenes I described.

Trailer here

Looks like I'll be watching that one this weekend while the wife is out of town. I'll be able to crank it while she's gone. :)

I don't know why everyone likes Harman Kardon receiver? I had a avr-635 and it seemed great. It sounded good for movies, had the latest fefatures, and the automatic setup made a difference with my speakers. Then, I got the uprade bug and got the avr-645. Worst receiver choice ever! This is when HD-DVD plapyers were just out. Right out of the box, it did not work with the hd-dvd player and that is why I upgraded to it. I was sent an AVR-745 from harman kardon for the trouble I was having with my original avr-635 and that went bad too. It had a new video processing htat allowed the hd player to work and decoded the true hd. It came with the harmony remote and had an extra sub prot that the auto setup would even recognize. I thought this was my last receiver. One day, this brand new receiver kept shutting off. I traced it back to the center channel port on the recier. Wires and speaker were fine so something was shorting out in the receiver. When playing logic 7, the sub box on the receiver does not light up. People on forums said they used the DVE and found that it was not playing something. The firmware was taken off the website that they had on there for a while becasue of bugs. Why do people like a receiver that cannot decode sound right(logic 7 problem), has many quality control issues(mine broke in 5 months and look at all the referbs out there), and right out of the box the avr-645 you could not use the hdmi for video with an hd dvd palyer. The answer from support about the avr-645 was it was old and I should have gotten one of their lower models because it was produced later. The onkyo 805 is what I got to replace the AVR-745. No problems at all. Decodes the sound right, and even has the new true hd and dts ma formats. The remote is easier to use than that harmony remote. I guess if you wanted a harman kardon recier, it would not be bad to get the avr-635, but don't get one with hdmi and all the problems. Not many other receivers have logic 7, and it cannot decode it right.