Klipsch at future shop?

I don't know if you guys have heard but future shop is now selling the Klipsch Reference line.

Anyway's like others on this board I take pride in the purchase and ownership of my speakers and my home theater, and I believe that being an enthusiast of Klipsch, especially at my age, that it's something of an above average hobby and interest (as in not for everyone). When I walked into Future Shop yesterday and read a large cardboard standup reading "Now featuring the awesome sound of Klipsch" I was frankly quite upset. Here in the small city of Brandon (50,000) most people are your average buy a big sony tv and in a box sound system and call it a day and while futureshop brings in alot of people because they are the biggest electronics store here, their salesmen are completley out to mars when it comes to knowing and understanding the facts. Klipsch was orginally sold by a smaller downtown outlet that not everyone knew about, and the people buying Klipsch were people who had alot of money and knew a damn thing or two about home audio, not to mention the owner and his son I have developed a very good business relationship with, I love the feeling of going in somewhere and getting respect from a few guy's who know you've spent your hard earned dollar at their store. My concern with all of this is that now every person and their aunt, sister, brother, daughter etc etc is going to be talked into buying Klipsch at a higher than retail price from a complete fail of a salesman and will be walking out with a very dynamic and well crafted piece of art that will no doubt be set up unproperly and treated as though it was a durabrand speaker from walmart. To further it I can already see in my head the people who walk in with a big wallet and small brain, buy a whole Klipsch system, walk out and tell everyone they have these new great fantastic speakers that they got such a deal on! "NO, not going to happen", the first joe that try's telling me about his new purchase and rambles off on some stupid RMS power rating is going to get a broken nose. Call me conceited, call me selfish, I personally believe that the people buying Klipsch should be people who really have a deep interest and passion for it's signature sound.

I would like to add that this was not inteded to be a rant, but for me personally, Klipsch was a not so well known brand around here, because the only people buying it were the people who gave a care. I guess from a financial stand point, this will do good for Klipsch, but it was a nice feeling owning a discrete little highend product and amazing friends and family members with the playback of so many movie and music scenes. Not an oppurtunity that should be available to dummies.

Kyler,

Welcome. I kind of agree with some of what you said. However, we all have to start somewhere in the Journey. Hopefully folks will be come "hooked" on their equipment and well take pride in it and do some research to get better sound....................Hope springs eternal !

Really, I can't wait... in the market where I live there is ONE dealer 70 miles away. They refuse to carry anything and order only if you pre-pay. The prices are also retarded.

Selling Klipsch in Future Shop is just another tool in order to get the brand name out there. I don't feel that it is a cheapening of the brand image, rather exposing more people to it. I believe that channel will open up more avenues for Klipsch.

Selling Klipsch in Future Shop is just another tool in order to get the brand name out there. I don't feel that it is a cheapening of the brand image, rather exposing more people to it. I believe that channel will open up more avenues for Klipsch.

I agree with you 100%, Michael. I think it is a win/win for all of us.

I would like to add that this was not inteded to be a rant, but for me personally, Klipsch was a not so well known brand around here, because the only people buying it were the people who gave a care. I guess from a financial stand point, this will do good for Klipsch, but it was a nice feeling owning a discrete little highend product and amazing friends and family members with the playback of so many movie and music scenes. Not an oppurtunity that should be available to dummies.

Fail[N]

KLIPSCH SPEAKERS aren't for everyone ................. I love it when a guy with 15" Fisher speakers tells me his speakers sound better than my Heresy's, .. Yup, your right, they do !!!!

you must have been playing one of those rolling stones dvds.....just teasing you my friend. don't forget...QUEEN rules.

• 4 weeks later...

stargirl, Welcome aboard .......... First off, there are 2 types of Klipsch Owners, First one's, real Audio people who are dead serious about their speakers, and Audio Systems in General, smart, hardcore Audiophiles, can't be fooled .............. and then theres The Crazed Klipsch fans, who start small, and after awhile the Voices start, upgrades begin, life is never the same, the Voices become Louder, Madness takes over .......... and that's it in a nutshell. Oh Yes, I forgot one group, the Jubilee owners .......... small vocal group, but very, very into their choice .... Hang around, you'll see !!!! ... [:|]

Hmmmm it seems lately the Elite Klipsch groups are calling the new unwashed buyers Dummies, Boneheads, and Bozos, Should,nt they be banned to the secret forums? Future Shop is a great place to introduce the Klipsch products to the new customers that have not auditioned the speakers.

Call me conceited, call me selfish, I
personally believe that the people buying Klipsch should be people who
really have a deep interest and passion for it's signature sound.

Klipsch was a not so well known brand around here, because the only people buying it were the people who gave a care. I guess from a financial stand point, this will do good for Klipsch, but it was a nice feeling owning a discrete little highend product and amazing friends and family members with the playback of so many movie and music scenes. Not an oppurtunity that should be available to dummies.

I'd say that's an elitist attitude. I love my Klipsch but if they had not been sold in Best Buy I would never have heard of them. I'm glad I did and will always be a fan. If they are only available for high end stores then I'll end up buying other brands eventually because we have one audio store in town and they sell Paradigm.

I am going to have to disagree with you.

Klipsch is a good company and a good brand, and the Reference line is awesome. Lets be honest, though. A pair of RF-62's is not some exotic, hard-made, 5-digit work of art. Its a good, honest speaker that will serve its owner well for many years. Klipsch is a massive brand, and the Reference line is a volume product (they sell lots of it in lots of places, and the more the better).

If Future Shop had some Pallidium or Heritage gear sitting on a dusty shelf hooked up to a Sony stereo receiver with FM radio as a source, I would be upset, but thats not the case. A $500 receiver running the Reference line is going to work quite well for most all (this is coming from a guy who has a Primare front end on his F3's!). Do they even have the 'top' Reference stuff like the RF-83's and RC-64?

Klipsch is going to Circuit City, its in Future Shop, its been big at Best Buy and the new Icon gear is taking over there (Magnolia side of things). These are very good times for Klipsch. Thousands of dealers carrying its bread and butter. They have created the THX line, Pallidium Series, and to a lesser extent, the Icon line, for the smaller and higher-end shops.

I am sorry if you bought Klipsch with the assumption it was some small, under-the-radar brand. It is the opposite and is only going to continue that trend. Headphones, 2.1 systems, iPod docks, and who knows what else. That said, Klipsch is obviously serious about the hi-end stuff with the new Pallidium line.

I own a very nice watch - the closest dealer is 200 miles away, the brand has a fantastic heritage, and its known by virtually nobody except those in the hobby. Its made in a moderately sized workshop in Le Sentier, just the little details that make you feel warm and fuzzy. Part of the reason I like it is because its under-the-radar and nobody will ever say, "Hey, I saw that at JCPenny's last week!" I would be disappointed if something changed and they sold cheap junk with the same name or similar. Klipsch has never really worked under the illusion of ultra-exclusivity or anything like that.

Personally, I am glad that the Klipsch name is getting out there. Nothing worse than having to visit somebody and all they know about are Bose systems....

For those unaware, Future Shop was a Canadian operation bought out by Best Buy a few years ago. In the larger cities, they often have stores in very close proximity to create the illusion of competition. If you go to Best Buy, might as well check out Future Shop. Chances are you will buy at one or the other.

Future Shop uses a commision system for paying the sales people. Best Buy does not. On Merivale Road here in Ottawa, the 2 stores are side-by-side. I find Best Buy better laided out and organized. I usually go to Best Buy first, and if I can't find what I want, then I will perhaps go to Future Shop.

I noticed that the list prices for the Klipsch speakers at Future Shop are higher that other sellers. I suspect that this will allow them to post "great discounts" when they drop the price to match eveyone else's regular retail pricing.

Just need to have a minor rant and vent.

Doug Kennedy

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Dude, you should be happy that Klispch Reference is available in your town and that you get to turn your friends on to the finest sound in the world.

It's not an exclusive club at all. Although some of us are quite insane about it.

Welcome to the Madness Stargirl. How about's some profile info- what system do YOU run?

Michael

Kyler,

I like the fact that Klipsch is making an effort to expand marketing of the company's product. Klipsch is expanding it's product line. Klipsch is expanding it's odds of survival and profit

It's the only way a company can survive in todays competitive market.

Everyone knows of Bose and the advertising dollar they spend is considerable. Good products for the buck and the consumer that wants sound with his/her movies. Headphones, radios, etc. IMHO that's all they're good for anyway.

Klipsch is tapping that market and rightly so. "There's gold in them thar hills"

This marketing has kept many a company afloat in troubled times for audio. Not many high end audio companies still exist in original form. Think about it.

Klipsch has to evolve and adapt to keep the doors open.

They are targeting a different group of buyers than PWK originally went after. After all, it's likely more people are answering the phones at Klipsch now than even worked at Hope the first 10 years after PWK opened the doors.

Mass production and marketing Klipsch is keeping bread and rice on the table for many folks around the world now.

Klipsch is global. The world is smaller due to improved transportation and communications. Overall quality will suffer due to the fact the companies MUST produce a high volume high profit product to survive.

On the other hand it allows for a quality product like the Heresy, Khorn, Jubilee, and Palladium to exist. (If I left anything out my apologies, it's probably not intentional)

We all have our own idea as to what Klipsch should be. Only Klipsch can decide that. The brains will figure it out to keep Klipsch alive in some form or another even if it's not what our idea of what Klipsch should be.

I personally am a Klipsch fan due strictly to PWK. His designs and ideas of what audio reproduction should be.

I feel there is no way Klipsch could have survived in any form without the mass production and marketing of "smaller" products.

BIG speakers aren't for everyone. 99.999% of the market have no idea of what Klipsch was. Klipsch is a different company.

Klipsch is surviving and hopefully profiting and hopefully will be around for another 60+ years.

Just my 2 cents worth of dribble.

Harry

Call me conceited, call me selfish, I personally believe that the people buying Klipsch should be people who really have a deep interest and passion for it's signature sound.

Wow, really? Sorry to disagree with you Kyler, but I'd much rather see these folks you speak of as "dummies" buy a pair of Klipsch instead of joining the "real dummies" (I'm kidding of course) who settle for Bose at an even higher price. Me thinks your ego might be getting just a little bit bruised knowing you won't be the only "big-show-in-town" any more after everyone else buys what you have and maybe even some Klipsch models that are BETTER than yours. And, what's wrong with that? This could be your big chance to hear a set of Palladiums or K-Horns at someone else's house!! Just perish the thought; you might even make friends with these folks and have to discuss common audio interests! I can certainly see why you'd be upset. ...NOT! Loosen up a bit; we all had to start our interests in audio at some level. You mention “at your age”, but none of us knows what that means (you didn’t say). Age doesn’t really matter much, to me when relating to audio. Anyone of any age can appreciate good sound: I noticed good sound back in the "ancient" monophonic days of the 1950’s around the age of 8. My little six-year old grandson notices it a bit as do some of my older friends who are well into their 70s and 80s, some of which are even deaf in one ear yet they can still tell the difference!

My wife and I have a Klipsch Reference Series 7.1 system in our home theater and a Heresy III/tube setup in the garage and we share them liberally with all of our friends and relatives. We don’t ask anyone to fill out questionnaires before gaining entrance into our theater or deck to make certain they meet our “audio intellect” requirements. And the result: no less than 9 of those families of “dummies” have all gone out and purchased Klipsch surround systems for their own homes. And can you imagine; the majority of them know absolutely NOTHING about audio other than they know what they like" How disgusting! I try to give others the benefit of a doubt and hope they'll do the same for me.

Please don’t be like the character on ‘Seinfeld’ and become the “Klipsch Nazi”: “NO KLIPSCH FOR YOU! NEXT!!” Instead: SHARE THE RIDE: It's all good!! -Glenn